PDA

View Full Version : Primefarm Public Servers Announcement

chilly
10th July 2006, 16:05
As of the 23rd of this month, I'm going to be shutting down my public servers. I was banking on the popularity of hidden to increase significantly so that I could subsidise the public servers via server rental to the community, and while there has been some pretty big growth in the player base, it has not been enough for this to happen.

I do regret having to shut them down, it's been a good laugh and a bit of a learning experience - and who knows, they might be back one day. I am fully aware that I am pretty much the biggest provider of hidden publics along with Smokey (Smokey is THE man) and this will cause his servers to become pretty much stuffed full 24/7 (sorry dude, your bandwidth is gonna get rinsed :P). At peak times we were generally handling about 80% of euro hidden traffic.

I will still be offering server rental and will keep up my work on the hidden stats project.

I'm not fucking off or anything, I will still be hanging about and telling noobs off for not being able to read.

To my current rental customers: this will in no way affect your service!

Cheers,

Chilly

Boxy
10th July 2006, 16:12
Not cool! Smokeys and Primefarm are about the only servers I hang out on, they usually have the best peons in and the best pings.

*looks up to the Gods and screams 'Noooooo'*

chilly
10th July 2006, 16:17
If you can magically quadruple the hidden playerbase by then I'll keep them up.

Go go gadget Boxy!

Dead Inside
10th July 2006, 16:47
Gah and after i've provided a forum for everyone to whine at us constantly on, the "mor srvrs plz!!" posts are surely round the corner now, damn you! ;)

Shame to see them go tbh, you put alot of effort into them and they were popular with good reason. I expect to see them return though as hidden gains popularity with every new release. :cool:

Since i doubt we'll be putting any more up (might put the hiddenite one back up possibly as a vets one or something though) its going to leave a bit of a gap, especially in the regularly admined bracket. :(

chilly
10th July 2006, 16:53
Yeah I know its going to be a pain, and I really dont want to do it but I cant justify the free ones when they are not being subsidies by the paid for servers :(

If the playerbase does increase enough in the future you will see the return of primefarm then, assuming I can get a few more punters for hidden rental.

Dr.Dwatson
10th July 2006, 17:48
Ah man, i read the title of the thread thinking, uh news?
Then i read the first line and NOO!
:(

Giant Eagle
10th July 2006, 19:07
Ah man, i read the title of the thread thinking, uh news?
Then i read the first line and NOO!
:(

Exactly the same here..

SynxUK
12th July 2006, 22:22
That's a great shame, loved watching over them, adminning them, getting friendly with regulars, how admins should be, (whilst still filtering out all the TKers and general fags).

Now I've nowhere to go, and thus this could well be the end of me at least until b5, or I get my new PC. Cya all around. This is a preminition by the way, however I could just be fooling myself. I've got this bad feeling running through me.

Take it easy, hope to see you when I return. :)

The.ViruS
12th July 2006, 23:06
Damn that suck, your servers were my favourite.

Mr_Spoon
13th July 2006, 10:44
Damn that suck, your servers were my favourite.

I agree

Matt {Undead}
16th July 2006, 16:35
sad to see a large server base go down, its the last thing we need but with the stats system and sigs coming back I hope we can spread the word on other forums.

chilly
16th July 2006, 22:19
One week of Primefarm publics left :( Enjoy it while you can peeps.

chilly
22nd July 2006, 04:59
Well thats it, folks.

I am truly sorry to have to close down my public servers, I would prefer to keep them open and provide a service to the communuity, its just that I cant afford to keep them running in the current state. I really do feel bad about closing them down - I know (precisely, I am a stats admin ;) ) how many people loved my servers and will miss them - but at the same time, I think its time for a new direction to Hidden:Source.

Beta 5 is out soonish, apparently with a new game mode (no comment!), so lets hope it ushers in a whole new wave of players with the ambition and drive to make the game fun, not only for themselves, but for the unexperienced guys who are trying to beat them. This game would be nothing without the new guys. No matter how much you hiddentite slags might deny it, noobs are *the* reason Hidden isnt just another mod.

Peace from Primefarm (for now),

David Prime

chilly
22nd July 2006, 11:37
O yeah and now that I'm not absolutely wasted, here was the last line of chat on my servers (no joke) :

07/22/2006 - 05:51:56: "Glindark<66><STEAM_0:0:0000000><Hidden>" say "so long and thanks for all the fish =/"

:D