PDA

View Full Version : Mani Admin & Sounds

Zante
1st July 2006, 20:46
I've recently installed the Source Metamod version of Mani Admin and am trying to get it to play sounds based on actions. For example, when the round starts an mp3/wav file would play.

I have my actionsoundlist.txt set up as follows...

//---------------------------------------------------------------
//
// actionsoundlist.txt
//
// Place all your action sounds in this file
//
// This file uses aliases to define
// the sound name, they must not be altered !!!
//
// The second part on each line is the location
// and name of the file itself. You can change
// this to be wherever you want.
//
// In the example below I have commented out
// joinserver, roundstart and roundend. If you
// uncomment joinserver a sample I made will
// be played upon connection to a server. You will
// probably get bored with this quickly so replace
// it with your own :)
//
// Samples "joinserver.mp3", "startyourvoting.mp3" and
// "endofvote.mp3" were made by me (Mani) using FruityLoops
// and a nice VST plugin synth. The rest are from the
// core HL2 server installation.
//

"votestart" admin_plugin/actions/startyourvoting.mp3
"voteend" admin_plugin/actions/endofvote.mp3
"roundstart" admin_plugin/actions/roundstart.mp3
"roundend" admin_plugin/actions/roundend.wav
"joinserver" admin_plugin/actions/joinserver.mp3

//---------------------------------------------------------------

Yet for some reason the only sound which plays is on the "joinserver" event. I have used the ma_play command to test the sounds (via soundlist.txt) and they all play fine when triggered by a player.

The problem is that for some reason maniadmin is not recognising events like "roundstart" and "roundend".

I confirmed this by joining my server as a normal client and playing the sounds in soundlist.txt until I reached the quota of the number of sounds playable per round. After the next round started I tried to play them again but I get the message...

"You can't play any more sounds this round".

So for some reason, mani is failing to recognise when a round starts and when a round ends.

I'd appreciate some help with this one as it's been driving me crazy for a few days now.

Thanks

-Zante

Ging
1st July 2006, 21:29
It's looking for the wrong events, round_start and round_end are what you should be using.

Zante
1st July 2006, 21:34
Ah, thanks for the speedy response I really appreciate it. I'll go try it out now. But, while I'm still here, is there anything else I should kno about which doesn't follow the maniadmin standardization?

Paegus
1st July 2006, 21:41
what about the sound that already plays at round start? the iris radio message... would be kind of annoying having 2 sounds playing simultaneously wouldn't it?

Zante
1st July 2006, 21:51
Well, it's still not working. Should I be changing the script in another place?

My actionsoundlist.txt is now...

"votestart" admin_plugin/actions/startyourvoting.mp3
"voteend" admin_plugin/actions/endofvote.mp3
"round_start" admin_plugin/actions/roundstart.mp3
"round_end" admin_plugin/actions/roundend.wav
"joinserver" admin_plugin/actions/joinserver.mp3

In response to Paegus, not exactly. I have Barney saying "Good luck out there buddy, you're gonna need it", and it fits nicely when I use ma_play to test it.

Zante
2nd July 2006, 17:34
Ok. we need clarification on events here.

The correct events for hidden are...

game_round_start
game_round_end

player_death = When the hidden dies, what's the event for when an iris member dies?

player_location = Not sure what it's for, it's not for reporting in.

iris_radio = No idea what it's for, goes off at odd times.

Can a dev respond? Thanks.

Ging
2nd July 2006, 19:08
a dev can respond, they seem right but I can't tell - I don't have a build nearby at the moment.

ThunderDan
2nd July 2006, 21:03
I don't believe that name actually does anything - it's just for reference in the mani code - so mani would probably have to change how it detect the hidde round starts and such.

Although a mattie event script can be setup to do this just fine, and if you search for it I believe I've posted a sample of one I did before.

Zante
2nd July 2006, 21:29
Sorry about posting in the other forum Ging.

Ok Thunderdan, I'll do a search for it.

Please keep in mind that this is the first time I've tried hosting a dedicated server on source.

I have my server setup so that laser trip alarms can be heard from anywhere on the level (the sound from Metal Gear Solid when the player is spotted) along with custom sounds for the start of a round and the end of one.

Odd thing is that when a player leaves the server it seems to trigger the game_round_end event, I'll see if I can find Thunderdan's script and if that changes anything.

As I said, the player_death event is only triggered when the hidden dies. I have a sound file of someone shouting (with an echo) I want to be played whenever a member of the iris teams goes down. As it is, it still sounds brilliant but is restricted to only when the hidden dies.

I saw mattie eventscripts list "player_location" and "iris_radio" on startup and that got me thinking about how if one of those was the "radio check in" event I could play a sound for everyone to hear (including the hidden). Alas, none of those events are what I thought they might be.

In regards to the actionsoundlist.txt file, I only use it so people download the custom sounds I use on my server automatically. The actual sounds are now called via eventscript ("ma_play").

I'm also going to write a script which plays a sound for all to hear when the hidden takes damage (like the quake 3 hit sound).

Is there a detailed event list somewhere?

Thanks for helping me tinker with this : p

Ging
2nd July 2006, 21:49
Nothing makes me more upset than a server that makes me download sounds - it's just about the worst thing that can happen, it's even worse when those sounds play all the bloody time...

Zante
2nd July 2006, 21:55
Nothing makes me more upset than a server that makes me download sounds - it's just about the worst thing that can happen, it's even worse when those sounds play all the bloody time...

Well, the entire download comes to about 80kb on my server and it's only limited to 4 players. What's more, it only plays the manor map. So yes, it's not for everyone but people are quick to join when it's up and they stay a long time.

I have the alarm sound playing because the lasers can span quite a distance on this map and if you're too far away from the actual emitter you don't hear anything. Plus, it gets EVERYONE's attention unlike the normal alarm traps : p

Edit: I even have the alarms sending messages to everyone's screen, it's great fun.

Ging
2nd July 2006, 22:18
Edit: I even have the alarms sending messages to everyone's screen, it's great fun.

I physically shuddered as I read that...

Zante
2nd July 2006, 22:25
I physically shuddered as I read that...

Well, it's clearly subjective hehe, you either love it or hate it. ;)

ThunderDan
4th July 2006, 06:25
BTW - do you have that working with mani or eventscripts? Just curious if you got mani recognizing stuff

Zante
4th July 2006, 17:36
Currently using eventscripts, I gave up on mani for this sort of thing.