PDA

View Full Version : Constant name changing

Ritalin
29th June 2006, 03:46
I was playing with some kid the other day that im guessing had a bind set for changing his name. The problem was everytime he got killed he would just hold that command down submiting a name change hundreds of times. It caused massive lag spikes in the server. Of corse there was no admin and no vote kick feature present.

I guess what Im wondering is if its possible to have it so only one name change is allowed per round or the like?

Cranky
29th June 2006, 09:05
This does not really seem like the biggest problem of the day. I think this is source related stuff, though.

chilly
29th June 2006, 13:42
It's a huge problem. Imagine if you had a couple on one server? It is a problem with the engine, obviously, but the devs here are perfectly capable of limiting namechanges per unit time, its been done in cs:s and most other similar games.

SynxUK
29th June 2006, 15:46
With the like, in place, it would prevent children from crashing servers.

Chas0r
29th June 2006, 18:55
I'm not evaluating this, but as a side-effect it would be impossible for dead players to communicate with alive ones, using their name for messenges.

SynxUK
29th June 2006, 19:46
That's already kinda cheap anyway. The whole point is the dead aren't supposed to be able to speak with the alive. Because, it acts as ghosting.

For example, CSS, if everyone dead could still speak with the alive, "He's there," etc, "He has this weapons," and such.

Chas0r
29th June 2006, 20:11
That's already kinda cheap anyway. The whole point is the dead aren't supposed to be able to speak with the alive. Because, it acts as ghosting.

For example, CSS, if everyone dead could still speak with the alive, "He's there," etc, "He has this weapons," and such.
Well the dead players can't really help a lot anyway. They see what the cameras see, and thus act like operation controllers. The helmet cams on ragdolls will support this feeling. (Does anyone remember the opening scene of Mission:Impossible in which the death of the team-members could only be told by the static of their video transmission ?)
You can't compare Hidden to games like CS - there are clans playing, and ppl take things WAY to serious. I don't see a problem for Hidden there though.

Ritalin
30th June 2006, 14:44
I dont care about it from a ghosting aspect. I care about the little prick thats gottn tired of pissing people off in halo and now desides hes goign to do it on my favorite mod. Im guessing you wont care until it happens to you.

Dr.Dwatson
2nd July 2006, 17:25
I dont care about it from a ghosting aspect. I care about the little prick thats gottn tired of pissing people off in halo and now desides hes goign to do it on my favorite mod. Im guessing you wont care until it happens to you.
Know the feeling mate... Shoud be done

Paegus
2nd July 2006, 19:53
just impose a timeout like the radio spam protection.

ThunderDan
2nd July 2006, 21:18
I believe this is a feature in most admin add-ons.

Mani has this:

// 0 = off otherwise set to the number of name changes allowed before
// action is taken (this was for a hack that constantly changed a player's
// name making it hard to find the actual player to ban)
mani_player_name_change_threshold 15

// 0 = reset name change count per round
// 1 = reset name change count per map
mani_player_name_change_reset 0

// 0 = kick, 1 = ban by ID, 2 = ban by IP, 3 = ban by ID and IP
mani_player_name_change_punishment 0

// 0 = permanent ban otherwise specifies the number of minutes
mani_player_name_change_ban_time 0

Ging
2nd July 2006, 21:54
I've been meaning to do something about changing your name when you're dead for a while now - I'll put in some other stuff that stops you doing it rapidly even when you're alive... Though I'm quite surprised it has such an impact on the server, ah well.

Isolation
3rd July 2006, 02:34
A simple "your name will change next round" would work.

Ging
3rd July 2006, 16:03
That's a given for changing name when dead...

Isolation
3rd July 2006, 20:26
I ment have it "name change on next round" even when alive. I believe it would prevent spamming quite well if implimented like that.

chilly
3rd July 2006, 21:26
Yeah, theres no legitimate reason for changing your nick more than once a round (or more than once every loads of rounds either really)