PDA

View Full Version : Need help with steam/hl2

L0ki.at
22nd June 2006, 19:51
Hi there. I got a new problem.

Finally i managed to install hl2 from CD. But i had to do it at my brothers username (we have 2 share this comp). So the day i installed it, it worked fine (even on my username).

But today, it says, that hl2 isnt installed (on my username). so i just thought id doubleklick, it starts to download, but finishes in a sec because it is already installed, but no.

He wants to download the whole game again!

How can i enable HL2 on MY username? please help me guys. you are my last hope. the users of 2 other forums dont answer, and the steam forum admins dont activate my accout >.>

Please help me....:(

Dead Inside
22nd June 2006, 20:11
Eh do you mean your Windows account user name or steam account username?

If its your steam account and you only have one retail copy of HL2 it can only be tied to one steam account.

I'm assuming its Windows accounts though, in which case, does your brother have administrative privilages which you don't?

Also on his account are his files/folders set to be private, ie can't be seen/used by your account perhaps?

Not entirely sure whats wrong really, but some of the above answers might help in figuring it out!

SkaveRat
22nd June 2006, 20:23
hm, L0ki... I think I've seen you on our server few days ago.

As said:
If you only got one copy of HL2, you can use it with only one Steamaccount

L0ki.at
22nd June 2006, 20:31
yes, i am talking about windows accounts, my bad.

we both have admin rights, we can do what we want. its win XP.

when i try to install hl2 from cd (using my username), it installes the files, then theres a 50:50 chance if he decrypts them or not. even if decrypted:

if i want to start hl2, he opens the Install window, wich when i tell it to continue, downloads the wholge game: Half Life 2.

is there no way to change something in the registery or some config file, so that hl2 also is available in my steam games list. oh, and yes, we use the same steam acc.

Im looking forward to get rid of this problem. i hope.

heeeeeeelp

SkaveRat
22nd June 2006, 21:09
I think you should have installed Steam for "All users" not only for "current user".

Then you should share the same Steamfolder.

And, ehm, why don't you download HL2. It should work after the download

L0ki.at
22nd June 2006, 21:11
erm... where can i choose that "install for all users"?? i didnt really find that option...

and secondly:

uhm, nope. i dont really want to download a about 3 gb big game, bacause it would cause some friggen high i-net price... and it takes f****ng long...

SkaveRat
22nd June 2006, 21:19
get a real flatrate, not such a limit-fake flatrate :p

but okay:
If you install Steam, there should be an option, if you want to install it for all users (well, I had that option :/ )

L0ki.at
23rd June 2006, 13:15
no sry, i dont have that option... :confused:

Veon
23rd June 2006, 13:47
You got a modem...?

L0ki.at
23rd June 2006, 14:34
u mean like dialup? yea i think so:

Pic:

http://i8.ebayimg.com/03/i/05/3e/36/22_1_b.JPG

Dead Inside
23rd June 2006, 14:51
I got rid of my retail copy of HL2 very quickly and got it off steam instead so i can't really remember, but does it not at least load a fair amount of the files from the disc?

Also are you using a steam installer from the disc or a possibly more up to date one from the steampowered website?

Failing that can you not backup the steam install files onto CD or DVD to prevent downloading at least most things again?

I suppose if you chose a single user install it may not ask you about it again until you've removed it completely, its been awhile since i installed steam myself though but i can't say i remember that option, i suppose it may be a new thing though!

L0ki.at
23rd June 2006, 14:59
please, ignore this hysteric message:

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

I DID IT!!! I FINALLY DID IT!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY!!! ZOMGWTFLOLWOOTLMAO!!094i3qmjoprfüma<WEÜPTNJ="$)UJTGMVAWTDF

END

i uninstalled it from my brothers acc. installed it on my account and now it seems that it works... thanks for your help anyway, noone tried to help me that much in any other forum! thanks! ill write back, if it doesnt work...

L0ki.at
23rd June 2006, 15:15
now WHAT THE F*** IT DOESNT WORK

Dead Inside
23rd June 2006, 15:41
Whats the problem with it now? Is there a specific error message from steam or maybe even windows? Is it crashing or anything?

Also have you tried creating a steam support ticket on the steam powered website at all, or searching their support section?

L0ki.at
23rd June 2006, 16:35
NOW LETS PARTEY!!!! I DID IT! FINALLY WITHOUT ANY BUGS OR SHIT!!!

well the problem b4 was, that steam used the files and configs of my brother. that was why hl2 didnt work at my username. cuz if it loaded MY configs n stuff, hl2 didnt show in the list. i finally found out how to solve this.

IF ANY OF YOU HAS THE SAME PROBLEM, THIS WIL HELP YOU:

I found out following:

MY configs (and also GAME INSTALLATIONS) are installed in this path:

D:\Games\Valve\Steam\Steamapps\*steamusername*\

MY BROTHERS configs (and also GAME INSTALLATIONS) are installed here:

D:\Games\Valve\Steamapps\*steamusername*\

So i just moved all the hl2 files and folders to

D:\Games\Valve\Steam\Steamapps\*steamusername*\

now it works FINE

But one question remains: Why did Steam do that?? Why didnt steam use one
of the paths for both usernames...