PDA

View Full Version : Headless IRIS

Destos
19th June 2006, 00:16
How I think is happened...

I was hidden during a round start and then everyone started crashing/timing out, then only one person was left and I noticed his head was missing when I was trying to attack him. I told him this and asked if I could take the picture without him slaying me, so he stands still I snap off a couple shots then he doesn't move when I tell him we can commence battling it out. I believe he timed out also, but as soon as I attempted to slice him, I crashed also.

this is on B4, so I am unsure if this a known/fixed bug. ( just upgraded to B4a )

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/2960/hdnhighrise00073kg.th.jpg (http://img67.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hdnhighrise00073kg.jpg)

Ging
19th June 2006, 01:23
We're aware of it and thought we'd resolved it - not sure how it's snuck back in...

Isolation
19th June 2006, 06:29
*Sigh*

Okay, this joke is for Tim Burton/Johnny Depp fans.

"The horseman! He's killed again!"

It's about the only reason I can think of for Mr. No-head there... unless he was an extra in a certain Marilyn Manson music video.

Cyborg
19th June 2006, 06:39
hey, i gots one o thems shots from tonight. look at his name... ironic huh?
notice how it followed a mass time out, including my good friend kenshin.
may he rest in timed out peace.

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/219/hdnstalkyard00022yt.th.jpg (http://img112.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hdnstalkyard00022yt.jpg)

Isolation
19th June 2006, 06:45
Odd. Wasn't the headless glitch tied to the hardcoded player limit?

Cyborg
19th June 2006, 06:48
the hidden is actually sitting on his head because the two of them were playing chicken with gruber and swope. boys will be boys.

DiabloTerrorGF
19th June 2006, 08:03
Confirming it. Mass time outs(actually, players crashing) were right before this as well.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/DiabloTerrorGF/hdn_docks0004.jpg

Ging
19th June 2006, 11:56
Ok people, since when did "We're aware of it" mean "continue telling us about it"?

MiasmicAnomie
19th June 2006, 17:06
Odd. Wasn't the headless glitch tied to the hardcoded player limit?

Actually - no. The glitch we fixed, I know how to reproduce, and as far as I know (and I'm looking at the code right now), it's still fixed - it didn't have much to do with the player limit but I'm not going to say what it was until I can verify that it is indeed still fixed.

I'm betting it's slipping in another way, I'll have a look.

DiabloTerrorGF
19th June 2006, 18:35
Ok people, since when did "We're aware of it" mean "continue telling us about it"?

"We're aware of it and thought we'd resolved it - not sure how it's snuck back in..."

Just pointing out it wasn't a single odd case... jeez <_<

Pan the Goat God
19th June 2006, 22:54
Even without a head, I'm dead sexy

Btw Ging, I think theres some bug or something because every now and then I see an IRIS without a head.

MiasmicAnomie
20th June 2006, 07:13
Actually - no. The glitch we fixed, I know how to reproduce, and as far as I know (and I'm looking at the code right now), it's still fixed - it didn't have much to do with the player limit but I'm not going to say what it was until I can verify that it is indeed still fixed.

I'm betting it's slipping in another way, I'll have a look.

The *original* headless fix was not tied to the player limit - there were only 9 players allowed in B3. I'm not sure I conveyed that meaning correctly, I read this again and it looks like I'm telling Iso that the current problem has nothing to do with player limits, which isn't what I'd meant to say (apologies).

This manifestation of it may be, since we bumped the possible maxplayers to 10. If you're experiencing the headless bug, are running a server without a mod to handle a reserve slot, and have a maxplayers greater than nine, restart your server with maxplayers set to nine, and let me know if you see the headless IRIS/timeouts after that.

If you're running a server with maxplayers of 9 or less, and are getting the headless IRIS/timeouts, let me know that as well.

kenshin1800
29th June 2006, 04:15
I remember that time cyborg. I have had so many crashes lately since b4 its starting to annoy me. For example(s), The first day i got b4 it crashed whenever i died as iris or hidden (good thing for me it wasnt that often :p) Then that was fixed in b4a. Beta 4 crashes sometimes when i shoot the hidden or get pigstuck by him (rarely). But just today it crashed 3 times in a row when i clicked on find servers (crashed so bad i couldnt minimize it and had to restart).

EDIT

There have been sometimes in b3 (and some other times not sure what other versions) where everyone went headless and timedout but i was left behind and didnt timeout. I usually just stayed in the server until people started coming back, is there an explanation for this?

SkaveRat
29th June 2006, 04:53
There have been sometimes in b3 (and some other times not sure what other versions) where everyone went headless and timedout but i was left behind and didnt timeout. I usually just stayed in the server until people started coming back, is there an explanation for this?
ZOMG! H4X! :D

The "random" crashes in B4 are really annoying :/
Hopefully It changes with B5

@Topic - Since B4 I've never seen an headless IRIS running around

Fisch.666
12th October 2007, 10:29
Hi!

I hope this wasn't posted before. Yesterday, i had an headless iris member while playing on my hidden beta4b server with the beta4b1 serverfix which should fix this issue.

salith
12th October 2007, 10:38
Set the maximum players to 9? 10 players tends to cause that issue.

Fisch.666
12th October 2007, 10:45
Arghhh, sorry. I thought the issue with maxplayers set to 10 was a bug in beta4a. :o

I will try this, thanks for your reply!

Paegus
12th October 2007, 17:00
the 10th slot is there for reserve slot access

you can have a 10 slot server just make sure you don't ever have 10 players.