PDA

View Full Version : Everyone Knows About It...But Does Anyone Know Why?

Master Shake
16th June 2006, 05:05
The bug I'm talking about is the decoy pigstick. It's not the noob pigstick, where you just miss and blame some sort of lag...I'm talking about the one that draws blood.

For the few of you who haven't experienced it yet, you pigstick someone, and they are hit. Blood splatters, but they take NO damage. It looks exactly like you just sliced them, but without the damage. I assume this happens because of lag, but I'm not sure. Maybe it has to do w/ the players colliding and getting all jittery (that's called rubberbanding, right?).

Whether lag or rubberbanding is the cause, I can think of a somewhat simple solution (at least I think its simple). Just add a couple of units to the range of the pigstick. That might create more problems though, such as pigsticking from a range that the shotgun can't kill in or something, i dunno.

...But if it was an easy fix, it would probably be fixed already, so I'm getting in over my head. Maybe when rubberbanding is fixed, maybe this will be fixed too.
Because its so damn annoying when you bleed someone w/ your pigstick, and you get killed because they shoot you.

Also...since I don't want to make a whole different thread about this, has anyone noticed that image tearing is horrible w/ the new adrenaline effect?

mullen1200
16th June 2006, 05:16
oh you mean the "butter stick". It is quite real, and all it is, is a lack of a server registering a hit for whatever reason. I have no idea why it happens, but it also applies to Iris bullets.

Phoenix_Bomb
16th June 2006, 05:42
It's the same as the butter knife syndrome. Your client registers the pigstick as a hit, sends that information to your computer, and displays the blood. The server, however, has the person in a different location, and thus does nothing.

Hence, lag.

Master Shake
16th June 2006, 05:46
I guess that also means it would be immensely difficult to fix...unless someone finds a way to eliminate all lag in every server online.

Phoenix_Bomb
16th June 2006, 05:48
There are possible fixes to generic aspects that might induce lag, i.e. polygon reduction, despawn changes, etc, but, yeah, you're pretty much on your own. =P

mullen1200
16th June 2006, 06:16
I think we should change it so client side hits count no matter what..

That was a joke :)

Demented
16th June 2006, 07:07
The thing I have to wonder about is... would that actually be so bad?

What's the worst that could happen?

2 hours later....

"OMG SUM SPLOITR WUS PIGSTIXXING PPL HE WUS JUS FLYING PAST THEM WTF!!!!!"
Oh dear. =X

mullen1200
16th June 2006, 07:25
exactly lol

Daedalus
16th June 2006, 16:45
Making the pigstick clientside would be too exploitable.

Solution? STOP STICKING :p

On the other hand, the butterknife syndrome happens when you slash as well.
And sometimes the slash kills someone with a light red aura.
Those two bugs could be connected...

Paegus
18th June 2006, 18:16
too bad valve killed cl_latencycompensation. it used to be like HL1's cl_lw that, when turned off would wait for the server's confirmation before displaying the client side animation.

was great to get a direct feel for your latency and prevents you from experiencing the "but i fired too" when players fire 'at the same time' and only one of them dies because the other person's packet arrived first. sure it buggers up smoothness but i'd rather have the option to experience the jittery ugly truth than the pretty lies that client-side prediction tells.

DiabloTerrorGF
19th June 2006, 08:08
In source it became cl_interpolation.

Paegus
19th June 2006, 11:23
no it didn't..

"cl_interpolate" = "1.0"
- Interpolate entities on the client.
"cl_interp" = "0.1"
- Interpolate object positions starting this many seconds in past

Interpolating supposedly means that it's filling in the gaps between what happened then and what happened just now with connect-the-dots information. I can only assume valve used the definition correctly.

"cl_lagcompensation" = "1"
- Perform server side lag compensation of weapon firing events.

oh so it would be cl_lagcompensation then...

there's also

"cl_predict" = "1"
- Perform client side prediction.
"cl_predictweapons" = "1"
- Perform client side prediction of weapon effects.

but messing with them give odd results like no footsteps and double-firing weapon sounds.

DiabloTerrorGF
19th June 2006, 18:41
cl_interpolate 0

Check out this video. (http://www.hawaiigamer.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1665)

Setting cl_interpolate 0 will put the hitboxes directly on top of the model, and it will also prevent you from getting shot before going around a corner. This worked really well before the "midget" patch, but I think they altered the network code slightly, and so it might not be as effective as before (still really good to have).

Warning though, it will make your game look stuttery. I'd recommend getting use to it though. =/

You can also see people using low cl_cmdrate (below 30), and it makes it ieasier to shoot them (those dirty cheaters!).

Just something that was discussed about CSS. It aligns hitboxes and models with the server...