PDA

View Full Version : Serious Update Issue.

Natace
11th June 2006, 06:17
Hi, I am new to these forums, not as new to the hidden, and have been playing the hidden: source since beta 3 was released..i'm hooked!

I don't think this has much to do DIRECTLY to the hidden: source, but I was thinking this forum is open infront of me, I may aswell see if someone can help me out.

OK, now to the problem.

I can open Steam and all of that, but for some reason, I can't play any games or mods, because they for some reason want to update themselves, even when they don't need an update, what is happening is that these arent just ordinary updates that take 2mins or less to complete..these updates start off at 2-6 hours, and hardly go down at all. This is wierd, because it does the same thing with the hidden: source, and yet it doesnt need to be updated, because I have the latest version, and the same thing is with all the other mods I have installed.
If I try updating half life 2, counter strike source and whatever else, it starts at 20% or so, and takes forever, just to do 1%.
I always keep Steam updated, there have been no HUGE patches that have been released to cause all this. I am on a 512k broadband connection, I am nowhere near my download limit, which is 12 gb before it goes to 56k speeds.

If you can't help out, that's ok, I'm just checking, so maybe someone might know of this problem and can help me out. If someone can help me out, or point me in the right direction to get help with this issue, thankyou, I appreciate your help.

That's me done..if anyone wants to know more about the problem (i'm tired and probably havent given a great description there), just ask.

Ging
11th June 2006, 09:57
copy your steam gcfs to a different location, uninstall steam and then reinstall it.

Natace
11th June 2006, 10:01
Thanks Ging, I'll see how that goes. *crosses fingers*

oh my god! arg...it doesnt work sorry :S

Maybe i've done something wrong.
This is what i did.
1. uninstalled Steam
2. downloaded the steam installer
3. installed steam
4. logged in
5. double click "the hidden: source"
6. It said it was preparing to launch the mod, but then came up with the update bar with 6hr 15-19mins
7. put a hole in my desk for this not working. (not really..but, grr, how wierd)

I don't understand what has happened..i mean, it just decided that all of a sudden it wants to update things and take forever to do so, this only happened after i finished playing the hidden, I finished playing earlier in the day, then i decided to take a break for lunch and other things, i came back, went to launch, and...huh!? it didnt work.

Any more help would be appreciated, thanks.

chilly
11th June 2006, 11:08
Possibly you are on a slow connection and steam decided it needs to re-download all of HL2?

Ging
11th June 2006, 11:26
Assuming you have a cd to install from, remove steam completely, delete everything - reinstall from the CD (rather than downloading it all again)... Run steam and then run HL2 to update it to the current version.

See what happens - sadly, this sort of issue always ends up requiring a full re-install of steam.

Natace
12th June 2006, 02:04
yeah, I was afraid I would have to resort to uninstalling everything.

Just in case you guys are wondering, I am using my own legitimate version, i bought the CE when it first came out, and have had no such problems before.

I thought i may not be able to run any mods without updating, because half life 2 or counter strike isn't updated yet, and well..i tried updated half life 2 and it just sat on 35%....running at 53kb/s download, it took about half an hour to get to 36% :confused: :eek: . This is the main reason why I am wondering what the heck is going on, because there hasnt been an update bigger than the game or anything, I have plenty of hard drive space, my computer can run most current games on high/highest settings smoothly, so it isn't slow, and the amount of processes i have running at the time are fine, because they have always been like they are when steam or one of the applications were updating.

I guess I'm just gonna have to reinstall it all then :(. I've looked at the valve customer support website thing, and found absolutely nothing on this issue...which sucks.
Gonna reinstall a bit later on when i'm not using the computer much.

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how it goes when i get it done.

Night Raider
12th June 2006, 04:32
yeah, I was afraid I would have to resort to uninstalling everything.

Just in case you guys are wondering, I am using my own legitimate version, i bought the CE when it first came out, and have had no such problems before.

I thought i may not be able to run any mods without updating, because half life 2 or counter strike isn't updated yet, and well..i tried updated half life 2 and it just sat on 35%....running at 53kb/s download, it took about half an hour to get to 36% :confused: :eek: ..
The smart way out is leaving your computer on overnight downloading it.

Natace
12th June 2006, 11:55
I doubt that even then, it would be done, as the timer pretty much sits on 6hrs 15-19 mins or whatever it was i said before, and my internet would probably be stupid and disconnect like it always randomly does for some reason...then i have to restart the computer just to reconnect...well we have 3 computers, dads is the main one which connects to the internet, mine and my bro's which connect through my dad's computer, so when the internet goes off, we havet to restart his computer and restart ours...pretty lame huh.

Anyway i just downloaded this beta 4 for hidden...i wonder if there is any change in what is going on.

The.ViruS
12th June 2006, 12:15
IF you are positive they are up to date then just set it in the options to not keep the game up todate. I thinkink right clicking on the game and setting it in the properties could help you fix your problem. Just set it to keep it up to date when an new update is released.

Natace
13th June 2006, 13:22
ok, I will try that, I'm still gonna try some more things and check to see what other people say before doing a full reinstall..that is the last resort, As i doubt i have to do that.
Thanks for the help guys, i really appreciate it.