PDA

View Full Version : Offline mode

Ritalin
5th June 2006, 19:58
ok so the other night I was playing at a lan party with no internet access and I suggested that we try out the hidden as NO one knew what it was. Well after the time wasted on the install, every one has the game up and going. However after joining into a lan game the first screen with the OK button at the bottom gets locked up... well locked up isnt exactly right mouse still moves you just cant click the OK button. in fact you cant do anything but ctrl alt delete and then alt tab. But even that takes a good 5 or 10 mins to respond to. After you get back to the desktop you can reenter the game and there is a 50/50 chance that this will fix the issue for that round. This doesnt happen EVERY time nore did it happen to every one on the lan. It did happen to me and I have never had that problem at all. Now that Im back online it doesnt happen, ever. You can tell it is getting ready to happen in the loading screen as the last phase of loading takes FOREVER (checking client info or what ever it is.)

Is there a known issue with offline mode?

Ging
5th June 2006, 20:08
No, there's no difference game code wise from internet or lan, just one advertises itself to the master servers and the other doesn't.

SynxUK
6th June 2006, 16:15
Take that! Mister ill blame the game its not just one of those days! :D

Ging
6th June 2006, 16:35
In fact, thinking about it - if you were running in steam mode, but with sv_lan set to 0, than chances are the issue was caused by steam trying to contact the master servers and timing out.

ThunderDan
6th June 2006, 20:58
you know - this is probably an error relating to the motd. I've experienced it before with my own server.
If I used the default or any semi complicated html page as my motd this would occur. I actually feel the error may be involving the scroll features - I think the graphics are missing or something.

Just my thoughts on the issue.

Ging
6th June 2006, 21:48
you know - this is probably an error relating to the motd. I've experienced it before with my own server.

It could be true, but I've only ever used the default motd text and never had this issue with lan games.

Ritalin
7th June 2006, 14:41
Thats one of the things that happend the first page is blank where I know there should be text. If it loads properly then it shows the text and everything is fine. I am using the default as well.

Steam was running in offline mode btw.