PDA

View Full Version : I keep crashing after killing the hidden

steve101101
5th June 2006, 20:16
During the game when i kill the hidden i get this massage after half life crashes...
"The memory could not be "read"." I have tried previous attempts to fix this bug by solutions from daedalous but it still doesn't work. Any advice. I have a Geforce 440 MX, 2.4 Ghz processor, and a gig of ram. Thanks

Boxy
5th June 2006, 21:10
During the game when i kill the hidden i get this massage after half life crashes...
"The memory could not be "read"." I have tried previous attempts to fix this bug by solutions from daedalous but it still doesn't work. Any advice. I have a Geforce 440 MX, 2.4 Ghz processor, and a gig of ram. Thanks

*Shakes head*

Theres not much you can do with your current hardware. No offense sir, but you have a SERIOUSLY sub par setup there. There were problems with DX6/7 in Beta 3 whereby upon the death of Subject 617, any DX6/7 users viewing him as he 'reappeared' seemed to to crash.

Im not completely sure if this has been totally fixed, but none the less we are no longer actively supporting DX6 or 7 - too many people drop to DX6/7 mode to use the alpha-ed model to make playing much easier.

From Beta4, DX6/7 users will have a completely invisible Hidden, effectively making it impossible for you to play and have any fun. The team HIGHLY RECOMMEND you upgrade to at least a DX8 card, if not DX9 (they go for £30 these days!) Probably not what you wanted to hear, but hey, you cant live on crippling, old tech forever...

steve101101
5th June 2006, 21:13
this computer plays Half life 2 with high graphics settings with ease though. that what i dont understand. My card's full name is the GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X. does this have dx8??

Veon
5th June 2006, 22:10
type mat_dxlevel and see what its set on in the console.

Boxy
5th June 2006, 22:16
That GF4 MX440 is actually more like a pumped up GF2 than a GF4, im sure it can run HL2 with full settings - as full as Sorce will let you go, which is shite on that card.

They have recently tweaked the MX series I believe, and if you have one of those then you may possibly slip into the DX8.0 bracket. Try forcing your PC to run Source in DX8 by adding -dxlevel 80 to your startup icon in the properties section. If you can indeed do DX8 upwards, 617 should be refractive rather than an alpha-ed model. Which do you get?

steve101101
6th June 2006, 00:08
617 looks reflective i guess with 'heat waves' on him. and the consol says the mat_dxlevel is = "80" ( def. "0" ). i made that addition but it still sometimes crashes when i kill the hidden. i can fill the hidden 1 or twice but then the game freezes. also i changed by res to 680 X 440

Boxy
6th June 2006, 08:38
Thanks for that, right you must have a revised MX440, its capable of DX8.0, no more, unfortunately! Im not quite sure why you should still be crashing to be honest. I only hope that we have resolved all the problems and that you are problem free in B4 (which is very close now kids)

steve101101
6th June 2006, 19:56
do you think this bug would be fixed if i bought a new Geforce 6 series graphics card?? tahnks for the help.

Boxy
6th June 2006, 20:43
If you got a new DX9 card you will have no problems, and in the long run it is the anwser as you cant hang onto old shite GFX cards forever. Like I said hopefully this crash error is resolved already in B4 so dont feel you have to rush out to get a new card but it might be best.

steve101101
6th June 2006, 21:03
ok. theses older 6 series cards like the GeForce 6600 with 256 Mb are going for 85 bucks. 6200's are going for 53 bucks incase you wanted to know. ALso i am thankful that atleast one game/mod deals with their 'customers' Your the best. S

Boxy
6th June 2006, 21:40
Also I am thankful that at least one game/mod deals with their 'customers'. You are the best. S

No problem :D