PDA

View Full Version : cant play with brother

SilverDogg
28th May 2006, 20:42
ok, the title is somewhat misguiding, cause i can play with my brother, but not the way i want sometimes.

ok, it was kind of stupid before so ill rewrite it.

basically, what i want to do is be able to start hidden, create a server, and then be able to play with my brother, pretty much just to test maps with him, and such.
but, we cant connect to eachother, doesnt matter which one of us creates the game, the other one cant connect.

what do we need to do to solve this, if it is even solveable (which i hope)? i really want to try out maps with my brother =(

ThunderDan
29th May 2006, 23:06
I assume you are using the server option in game, and not a dedicated server.
I also assume that you both can do some sort of simple file sharing and can see each others computer on the network.
The only reasonable problem you may have is a software firewall issue. Check and see if a firewall is running on the host computer and if it is I'd just disable it when you want to setup a lan.

But, if you can't already see each other in the "Network Neighborhood" and file sharing doesn't work, you have other network issues you should resolve first.

Sorry, probably not the most helpful post ever, just my suggestions.

SilverDogg
29th May 2006, 23:40
well, its over the internet, and not lan =/

i have noticed however that he seems to be trying to connect to "home" (aka 127.0.0.1 or whatever it is), and that seems to be wrong. well, that is wrong.

hmm.. gonna try something do, see if that works. i doubt it though =/.

nowhere
30th May 2006, 02:37
sv_lan 0? Unless you're trying to connect over a lan network.

SilverDogg
30th May 2006, 12:33
it seems to be at 0 when you start the game =/

nowhere
30th May 2006, 18:28
sv_lan 1 then! I know it's one of them to disable lan. You could try playing with each other using a program called http://www.hamachi.cc/ . Basically it makes the computer think it's connected to another computer directly through lan when it's not.

SilverDogg
30th May 2006, 23:47
yay, that program did it ^^
thanks a lot for the help, now i can play with my brother and get some tips from him (the day i actually start making a map that is, damn these tutorials!)