PDA

View Full Version : VAC + new patch + linux = :(

chilly
21st May 2006, 09:16
OK It appears there is some problem with VAC after installing the patch, and possibly before doing so. At the moment there are precisely zero EU linux hidden servers with VAC enabled, in fact the only VAC servers I can see are smokey's.

Has anyone, WHO RUNS A LINUX SERVER, worked out how to get vac running 100% of the time?

I'm not doing anything stupid like -autoupdate with rolled back installations and as far as I can tell I have done nothing wrong in terms of the various threads posted on the matter.

Clearly if no one in the EU can get a linux server running with VAC 100% of the time its not *just* me.

Cheers,

Chilly

M_C
21st May 2006, 09:45
OK It appears there is some problem with VAC after installing the patch, and possibly before doing so. At the moment there are precisely zero EU linux hidden servers with VAC enabled, in fact the only VAC servers I can see are smokey's.

Has anyone, WHO RUNS A LINUX SERVER, worked out how to get vac running 100% of the time?

Was there a new kernel recently, perhaps? I'm tempted to try a FreeBSD hidden server to see what it does. I wonder if srcds is in ports or if have to enable linux compat...

chilly
21st May 2006, 09:47
I havnt updated my kernel for about a year. That involves switching the machine off and it hasnt needed a reboot for bloody ages.

And just to keep you happy m_c I did a clean install and checked vac at each stage, its ****ed all the way.

chilly
21st May 2006, 09:53
All I can think of is something happening to VAC at valves end.

M_C
21st May 2006, 10:33
All I can think of is something happening to VAC at valves end.
Maybe but if it was VAC, I'd think it would hit win32 servers too. I'm installing vmware to test a freebsd server but it'll take a while.

chilly
21st May 2006, 10:43
Just did a BSD test - same as linux, sometimes VAC enabled sometimes not.

Smokey
21st May 2006, 11:11

I'm not doing anything stupid like -autoupdate with rolled back installations and as far as I can tell I have done nothing wrong in terms of the various threads posted on the matter.

Clearly if no one in the EU can get a linux server running with VAC 100% of the time its not *just* me.

Cheers,

Chilly

My servers are in the EU and ARE RUNNING ON LINUX, so I'm not sure I follow your logic there!

DI has done a lot of work getting VAC to be as reliable as possible and will hopefully share some notes later on.

S.

Dead Inside
21st May 2006, 11:15
Smokeys do run VAC most of the time, generally two attempts at starting it to get it to secure then they are fine, barring the occasional seemingly Valve related problem. When i logged on 4/5 were running it according to HLSW and after a couple of reboots the rogue one was secure. I'd have expected it to auto-reconnect at some point soon anyway but it didn't seem in any rush to do it so i helped out.

I use the pre Mar 8th/9th rollback that was hosted at woodquarter (http://www.woodquarter.org/SrcdsLinux51.zip) and the box runs Fedora Core 3

chilly
21st May 2006, 13:38
Hmmm, I used that same set of binaries. Yet my servers seem to be VAC-less much more often than the smokey servers.

M_C
21st May 2006, 21:52
If the problem is limited to europe, maybe it's a peering issue with the VAC servers? Do USA linux servers have the same problem? I've been waiting for one of my servers to not secure but they always do.