PDA

View Full Version : Performance Issues! (Plus Question)

Rampant
13th May 2006, 11:22
I recently got your mod, and i praise you for creating such a nice concept. However, the game runs like absolute crap. Words cannot describe how diabolical it really is. I run cs:s, Dystopia, GE:S at over 100 fps on max settings. There is no reason why i should not get the same peformance out of this mod. It is almost unplayable, the clipping or whatever is probably the worst i have ever seen. This is a problem that really needs to be sorted or i think ill give up on the game soon. Hate to be so crude, but i geuninely feel sick playing it. Please sort it.

I also have a question that i would like answered, if that is ok? Why is it the Hidden that is supposed to hunt down the others, it seems totally ilogical. The marines turn up in there big vans, heavily armed, to just... camp? Hidden... who is supposed to hide actaully hunts? While you have created a nice game, both imersive and atmospheric, it is sadly totally ilogical, seriously damaging the sense of imersion and puropse. Could someone clear this up for me? im slightly confused...

Good concept and potential, shame bout performance and absense of logic...

Ging
13th May 2006, 11:37
performance is fine for me, drop your settings and try again..

Because if the hidden were being hunted, he'd just camp - he's invisible, welcome to the world of dull... It's called a "gameplay mechanic", which is the same reason that it's only ever a single marine that makes it through a planetary invasion or why a corporate entity has turrets that can made to swap iff tags via a network connection...

Rampant
13th May 2006, 12:13
So its not just me, the game is ilogical and irational. Why not dump the whole marine thing then and go will civilians instead. You would lose the whole high tech weapons etc, but you could have simple weapons like household shotguns, pistols and things like molitov cocktails. Such a change would add to the atmosphere to no end, and make the game slightly logical. The Hidden (which would kinda need a name change) can be percieved as rogue creature, out of control, with civilians confronted by it engaged in a battle for survival against it. This would involve a lot of effort, but while ur at it you could fix the performance issues. My pc is not at fault, even on low setting its stutters like a bitch. It is definelty not a client problem. Anyhow, just some thoughts. Sorry if im so hard, im just a bit of a critical guy. Especially when i see somthing that has great potential. Great game guys, gj.

Faron
13th May 2006, 12:19
So a mod with a guy that looks like water and has a knife is supposed to be logical?

Both teams hunt eachoter, it only depends on the players if they are going to be a chicken and camp or going to work in team and scout all areas.

Rampant
13th May 2006, 12:21
Crazy and wierd is ok, if its made believable in the context of the game. Such a principle is fundamental to modern gaming.

Ging
13th May 2006, 12:55
So its not just me, the game is ilogical and irational. Why not dump the whole marine thing then and go will civilians instead. You would lose the whole high tech weapons etc, but you could have simple weapons like household shotguns, pistols and things like molitov cocktails. Such a change would add to the atmosphere to no end, and make the game slightly logical.

How is that any more logical? Why would I not just call in the police, who have high tech weapons and equipment? Good job on not thinking that one through...

Most games don't make logical sense, in the same way fantasy films don't make sense, or action films... "Why's that orc not paying attention to the prisoners?" - "Why did they leave such a big obvious way of destroying the death star unprotected?"

We enforce the "hidden hunting" ideal because it means you get more gameplay, it's more interesting for everyone who's playing... Which would you rather be facing, in terms of atmosphere - a psychotic semi-invisible guy or an out of control bear? Tough choice I know...

Without knowing your hardware, we can't recommend any action you might take - yes, we do aim higher in regards to hardware requirements, this is SUPPOSED to be a next gen engine, it's time the players caught up with the technology. If you can run the games you mentioned at max settings at over 100 fps, than you won't have any issues with hidden, if you do, it suggests there's something wrong at your end.

Reiter
13th May 2006, 21:43
I think we found the mother-in-law...