PDA

View Full Version : VAC+Linux+Hidden = can be done

chilly
9th May 2006, 18:56
Hi all,

I've seen the win32 versions of this thread and thought it was time to make a linux version seeing as I've just now finished enabling VAC on all four of the Primefarm public servers.

As you all know, valve smokes donkey cock. Therefore you have to use an older release of the server binaries (pre-8th march) for VAC to get enabled.

A friend of mine very kindly sent me a copy of the pre-8th march binaries and
they work a treat. I have also heard tell that they can help to reduce server instability and random mass timeouts.

So...

Here's the file with the OLD binaries. (http://www.primefarm.co.uk/stuffs/bins.tar.bz2)

Here's what you have to do:

1. Stop your server.

2. Backup the <base server directory>/bin folder (should be a bunch of *.so files)

3. extract the contents of bins.tar.bz2 to your bin folder (the tar contains the bin directory already, so you may place the archive in your <base server directory> and then extract using tar xjf bins.tar.bz2 and it will all end up in the right place)

4. Remove the -autoupdate flag from your startup command line, if you use it. This prevents steam from writing over the files you just replaced and undoing your work. You will have to keep an eye on valve SRCDS updates yourself to make sure you dont miss them.

5. Start your server and make sure it reports that VAC was enabled.

NB: On my server, enabling vac happened first time every time. Your mileage may vary if you have different versions of files etc in other places that the server relies on for core functionality.

For reference: I am running debian sarge in 32 bit mode on 2.4 kernel

M_C
9th May 2006, 19:09
Beat you to it, for any OS. ;)

http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=3597&page=1

The 13th post has links to the linux rollback files. :D

chilly
9th May 2006, 19:34
tits, missed that post. Never mind!

M_C
9th May 2006, 19:42
No, no, it's very detailed, you might copy your details to the sticky too, though. ;)