PDA

View Full Version : Crash bug SOLUTION!

daedalous
9th May 2006, 06:54
Hello guys!!
I used to crash every 5 minutes (datacache.dll), so I tryied ALL theories i found on the forum, and finally, today I played 3 hours straight without any crashes!

i have a geforce4 wich is below DX7.
what I did was:

- Used the command lines and tweaks .cfg found here:
http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=3560

- Copyed the files listed on this post by ThunderDan here:
http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?p=64188
and pasted them on EVERY folder on the tree.

- i didnt deactivate the blood or splash with the console commands

- my video settings are all at * or higher. shader is on high and active on multiplayer's advanced tab.

- I join directly through steam, but i dont know if it affects it.

that's all people!
try it out and let us know if it actually works.
my game never crashed for 3 hours straight, so it works for me.

thanks again to ThunderDan (http://forum.hidden-source.com/member.php?u=1815) for pointing the files!

noname
10th May 2006, 21:54
This works fine for me. No more crash when Hidden die. Got Geforce 4 too.

Thanks daedalous.

ThunderDan
11th May 2006, 22:36
May I suggest changing the post title to include DX7, so people know which bug we're talkng about.

kaihuang
12th May 2006, 05:37
I still get the datacache.dll error. a little less, but it still happens fairly regularly, like at least once a map.

M_C
12th May 2006, 06:29
I still get the datacache.dll error. a little less, but it still happens fairly regularly, like at least once a map.
Try adding +mat_forcehardwaresync 0 to your launch options.

T-bone
12th May 2006, 17:55
works for me, awsome. but i still crashed after a couple of hours

Reiter
12th May 2006, 21:44
It seems there will always be crashes in the beta version, but it has definitely slowed down the rate at which they occur. That, I am grateful for.

StabbyVanKillerson
13th May 2006, 04:42
YOU IS MY FREAKING HERO!and that dan guy

majesticmerc
13th May 2006, 15:23
It works for my friend :D

Well done for finding it out :D

eMPTy
13th May 2006, 16:20
awesome, was afraid I was the only one having the problem. gonna try this out later.

edit°
13th May 2006, 17:18
You the same empty from VS?

jakethesnake
14th May 2006, 17:03
Hello guys!!
I used to crash every 5 minutes (datacache.dll), so I tryied ALL theories i found on the forum, and finally, today I played 3 hours straight without any crashes!

i have a geforce4 wich is below DX7.
what I did was:

- Used the command lines and tweaks .cfg found here:
http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=3560

- Copyed the files listed on this post by ThunderDan here:
http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?p=64188
and pasted them on EVERY folder on the tree.

- i didnt deactivate the blood or splash with the console commands

- my video settings are all at * or higher. shader is on high and active on multiplayer's advanced tab.

- I join directly through steam, but i dont know if it affects it.

that's all people!
try it out and let us know if it actually works.
my game never crashed for 3 hours straight, so it works for me.

thanks again to ThunderDan (http://forum.hidden-source.com/member.php?u=1815) for pointing the files!
i tried doing these things and the second one didnt even have those things in the executive file and the first one i cuddnt find the file to save my notepad thing in... so the game still crashes and im really annoyed.... help?

ThunderDan
14th May 2006, 17:43
If you don't have those files then I'd recommend redownloading and reinstalling a fresh copy. Delete hidden folder and try again basically because these files are installed with B3.

I did recently have to edit my post because I left out the 'a' in teaurn, but I'm sure most people figured out which files I meant.

Good luck.

hip_hop_x
18th May 2006, 15:56
I have gforce mx 420. When i play hidden, after 5-10 minutes game crashes. It gives me an error from datacache.dll . I tried the both methods, but the game still gives that error.

Can somebody fix this bug ?

StabbyVanKillerson
20th May 2006, 15:09
Well Im happy cuz it worked for me but when I was on a 3 person server, I was hidden and idk how but they figured out my "mat_dxlevel" (the -dxlevel that he tells you to type in the launch options) and said that it was cheating. Ya they are the only people to say something about it, but if more people say its cheating then Idk what ill do

M_C
20th May 2006, 18:16
I have gforce mx 420. When i play hidden, after 5-10 minutes game crashes. It gives me an error from datacache.dll . I tried the both methods, but the game still gives that error.

Can somebody fix this bug ?
Get a new vid card. A mx420 isn't even dx8.1 capable and a new dx9 card is under 70 bucks.

Well Im happy cuz it worked for me but when I was on a 3 person server, I was hidden and idk how but they figured out my "mat_dxlevel" (the -dxlevel that he tells you to type in the launch options) and said that it was cheating. Ya they are the only people to say something about it, but if more people say its cheating then Idk what ill do
If you can see the hidden better than you're supposed to by setting a lower dxlevel it IS cheating and I've reported those cheaters here before. Get a new vid card, stop playing or risk many bans for cheating, your choice. What's your steamID, btw? ;)

kaihuang
26th May 2006, 18:00
still having a datacache.dll error. Have tried all the extra code in the config files, but it hasn't helped. When is this going to get fixed?

ThunderDan
27th May 2006, 03:21
Have you tried copying those files from my post? I honestly believe this is the main problem.

KrazyWolf
4th June 2006, 17:20
I tried both things you guys recommended and now I can't see hidden at all. I can't even see my nightvision when I turn it on and as well as when I zoom in, I don't have that sniper vision, It just zooms in the screen and nothing else.

My specs are:

Laptop
CPU: Pentium 4 HT 3.00 GHZ
RAM: 896MB
Graphics Card: 128MB shared Mobility Radeon 9000/9100 IGP Series (Omega 3.8.221)

Please let me know if I did something wrong in the following:

First thing i tried was copying these files:

hr_model_teaurn_earlgrey_dudv.vtf
hr_model_teaurn_earlgrey_dx7.vmt
hr_model_teaurn_earlgrey.vmt
hr_model_teaurn_earlgrey.vtf

from hidden\materials\models\executive to hidden\materials\models\manor.

Than in steam>hidden>properties>set launch options I added this coding EXACTLY:

-heapsize 512000 +exec mytweaks.cfg -console -dxlevel 80 OR 81

Am I suppose to leave out a certain thing in order for it work? Because when I launch Hidden and pull up my console it says 'couldn't execute mytweaks.cfg' I don't know what the problem is because I put it in /Steam/SteamApps/SourceMods/hidden/cfg. I copied the codes provided:

bindtoggle z cl_showfps 2
cl_forcepreload 1
sv_forcepreload 1
cl_smooth 0
cl_ragdoll_collide 1
r_fastzreject -1
r_decals 1000
r_maxmodeldecal 25
r_waterforceexpensive 0
mat_compressedtextures 1
mat_bumpmap 0
mat_specular 0

And saved it as 'mytweaks.cfg'. It stayed a notepad file though may this be the problem?

In the in-game setup I have everything on * except the shader quality which is set to high like ordered.`

Please help someone! This game is awsome and I really want to game!!

ThunderDan
5th June 2006, 00:11
-heapsize 512000 +exec mytweaks.cfg -console -dxlevel 80
-heapsize 512000 +exec mytweaks.cfg -console -dxlevel 81
-heapsize 512000 +exec mytweaks.cfg -console -dxlevel 70

Note - the crash solution only really pertains to people who run in -dxlevel 70 as it calls those missing files. However the visibility of the hidden in dxlevel 80 or 81 is a lot more invisible and almost (read 'completely' for some) impossible to see. The next version of the hidden will have dxlevel 70 as visible as dxlevel 80, so it is highly recommended that you get a graphics card that is capable of running -dxlevel 90. Anything higher than a Radeon 9600 should work fine.

KrazyWolf
5th June 2006, 00:46
I don't know if you didn't notice but I have a laptop, GC change is impossible lol. Anyways, So should i put the dxlevel to 70? or what do you recommend?

mullen1200
5th June 2006, 01:19
I just want to post that I was having this problem, and the solution fixed it perfectly. A+++ to original poster, Hope ya wina trip to hawaii! :D :D

ThunderDan
5th June 2006, 04:08
Laptop - hmmm... some how I missed that... It could have been the misleading use of the word laptop or mobility radeon, or maybe I'm stupid, but anyway.

This page has a decent explanation of the different levels - link (http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_fx_half-life2/)

This site shows that the Radeon 9000/9100 IGP defaults to 70 for HL2. The card technically supports 81 though. Your choice.

KrazyWolf
5th June 2006, 06:19
Hey, Well I deleted the tweaking thing and just moved the files into that /manor folder and everything works fine. I can even run the game in high settings above recommended and it works absoulatly fine. Thank you guys. People like you make our lives easier :) Keep up the good work.

StevenT
8th January 2008, 01:59
For which version is this "solution" actualy ?
I am using Beta 4B, quite new to this game and forum (first post).
I have searched around before posting this post for posts that would answer my question but sadly ...

My game crashes randomly (to desktop) and without error, i cant even find mdmp files (!!).
Happened a few times when i press TAB to check out the score between end of round and new round start.
And i think there is also a server part which makes all clients on the server to crash (??), not sure about this, but i saw everybody leaving and rejoining after i crashed. Will need some confirmation on this last one.

Anyhow, if I could fix my client side crashing problems I would be really happy.
They are really random, sometimes i play for hours and hours straight, the next day it crashes after 10-30 mins, then again i can play for a few hours again... The crashing scares me more than getting killed by the Hidden :P

Cheesey
8th January 2008, 12:04
As you might have noticed the first post here was done in 2006, so it's defenitely not B4b! (Might be B4a, but I'm not sure...)

I think Ging's answere would be something like

"Don't press ALT+TAB".... you can use the windowed mode if you have to change to the desktop often...

-SM-SUCKER
8th January 2008, 12:31
I think most crashes happen wheh the Hidden dies while "using" some object. Afaik this is a known issue that causes mass crashing/timeouts.

Hannibal
9th January 2008, 06:39
I think most crashes happen wheh the Hidden dies while "using" some object. Afaik this is a known issue that causes mass crashing/timeouts.

you can even crash a whole server if you do that.

Paegus
9th January 2008, 12:21
the +using death doesn't crash the client... only the server.