PDA

View Full Version : Problem with seeing the hidden, no not that way.

DiabloTerrorGF
9th May 2006, 02:43
I'm having a real problem with people cheating by using DX7 to see the hidden. Probably discussed a million times but whatever, it's gotten to the point it's pissing me off.

Heard beta 2 made dx7 hidden invisible, should of stayed that way. Get a better comp if you don't wanna be left behind.

</end rant>

Stanker
9th May 2006, 02:50
I'm having a real problem with people cheating by using DX7 to see the hidden. Probably discussed a million times but whatever, it's gotten to the point it's pissing me off.

Heard beta 2 made dx7 hidden invisible, should of stayed that way. Get a better comp if you don't wanna be left behind.

</end rant>

I concur wholeheartedly.

T-bone
9th May 2006, 10:19
Nah, everyone should have the chance to play. DX7 doesnt make the Hidden super super clear, you cant see him at all up close (as in , in your face close) however from a distance its pretty easy. Its still hard to follow the movements. I think if people find it unfair that others can see the hidden better than themselves should not play the game and shouldnt rant about it. Remember it is just a game
As for the Hidden, keep moving

M_C
9th May 2006, 17:52
Nah, everyone should have the chance to play. DX7 doesnt make the Hidden super super clear, you cant see him at all up close (as in , in your face close) however from a distance its pretty easy. Its still hard to follow the movements. I think if people find it unfair that others can see the hidden better than themselves should not play the game and shouldnt rant about it. Remember it is just a game
I think if kids can't afford supported HW they should go back to dance dance revolution. :rolleyes:

Stanker
11th May 2006, 19:49
It's not just some minor advantage. It's a huge one, and it's definitely not how the game was meant to be played. Surely the devs didn't intend on everyone switching to DX7, missing out on the cool DX9 effects just to win more.

Remove the hidden from DX7.

kaihuang
12th May 2006, 04:13
Not everyone can afford to upgrade their PC. Me, I am am paying for ALL my college bills so spare $ is hard to come, and apparently so is a decent paying job. And my parents have long since stopped giving me $.

M_C
12th May 2006, 04:42
Not everyone can afford to upgrade their PC. Me, I am am paying for ALL my college bills so spare $ is hard to come, and apparently so is a decent paying job. And my parents have long since stopped giving me $.
Sorry, wash a few cars, mow a few lawns, it's not THAT hard to come up with enough for a entry level dx9 card.

Pazernus
12th May 2006, 05:20
for me i cant even see the hidden at all(dx8) and i dont care from it,as long as i hit "invicible wall" or hear steps or point my lasersight to it i wont have problems :P

Pazernus
12th May 2006, 22:36
for me my friend uses dx9 and he sees the hidden as well as i see on my dx 8 forced to dx7. so far as i see its fixed. and for those who uses dx 8 and cant see hidden go to steam>games and left click hidden select properties click set launch option and add -dxlevel 7. that cmd basicly restricks dx8 properties degrading it to dx7 while your in game and makes you able to see the hidden normally.

Stanker
13th May 2006, 16:26
http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/3218/hdnhighrise00001jp.th.jpg (http://img451.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hdnhighrise00001jp.jpg)

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/3881/hdnhighrise00018bo.th.jpg (http://img128.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hdnhighrise00018bo.jpg)

That's in a low visibility area too. In Stalkyard and Derelict, it's like shooting a flying piece of yellow celophane.

M_C
13th May 2006, 19:51
http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/3218/hdnhighrise00001jp.th.jpg (http://img451.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hdnhighrise00001jp.jpg)

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/3881/hdnhighrise00018bo.th.jpg (http://img128.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hdnhighrise00018bo.jpg)

That's in a low visibility area too. In Stalkyard and Derelict, it's like shooting a flying piece of yellow celophane.
The bottom one is know as the white outlined hidden. If you keep playing with that Admins will ban you for cheating.

http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=3842

If you KNOW it's not supposed to look like that and you keep playing...

Reiter
13th May 2006, 21:58
Unfortunately some of us aren't kiddies and can't afford to get a better graphics card right now. It really sucks too because as much as I'd like to get an FX 6800 or a Radeon 9800 (relatively cheap by most definition) I am stuck with something lower. Welcome to the world of not having goody-good parents.

If there is a serious issue between DX7 and DX9 players, I'd recommend the following: A server will force either DX7 or DX9 draw only for all players, and each server admin should set up two servers, one for each. But honestly, I don't think it is that big of a deal. The game will still scare the crap out of you regardless (especially if you're a kiddie with goody-good parents).

M_C
13th May 2006, 22:02
Wash some cars, mow some lawns, there's no excuse for basically cheating. Either fix it or don't play, imo. Sure, it's a bug but that doesn't make it right to knowingly exploit it.

Stanker
13th May 2006, 23:03
It's not even an issue of hardware for some people. DX9 users voluntarily switch to 7 for the advantage. That's not how it's supposed to be, and DX7 hidden might as well be made invisible.

M_C
14th May 2006, 18:23
Retards that intentionally exploit that bug will be banned, if caught, too.

PureD
14th May 2006, 19:31
well ... dx 8 hidden is invisible (yes he is ) and Dx 9 hidden is as visible as on DX 7 but with shimmer and makes my PC lag so I play on dx 7 and hidden is NOT perfectly visible on dx 7 he is just without a shimmer effect

M_C
14th May 2006, 20:00
If you play with the white outlined hidden, don't let me catch you on my server.

PureD
14th May 2006, 20:49
If you play with the white outlined hidden, don't let me catch you on my server.
omg im scared :D whats your server

ThunderDan
15th May 2006, 23:38
This is a tough one here - I've been trying to find a way to get mani to make all players announce their dxlevel on join, because dx7 shows really different depending on the card you have. I've played on a true dx7 card and it's virtually invisible and I've played with dx9 adjusted to dx7 (trying to figure out why my server was crashing mind you) and the hidden might as well be white in some lighting. I'd really like a function to let me know if the theoritical player who keeps 'seeing' me is running dx9 or dx7, or better if you could know what H/W dx level they had, and if it was someone with dx9 running at dx7 auto ban their ass.

I don't want to forbid dx7 cards cause they aren't the problem - they're also a very small part of the HL2 community, but I do want to prevent people from exploiting it that don't need to use dx7.

On the cost of DX9 cards 5200's and 9550's (basically the dx9 starting level) are both under $50 US. A 9800 can be had for under $80. If you are running with something less than a 9600 I do believe you aren't able to fully appreciate what HL2 has to offer you - not to mention all the other games that would benefit.

Just my 2 cents on the issue.

Sonic
15th May 2006, 23:55
Side note, if a person has DX7, then they CAN see the Hidden more easily. But, at the same time, if they kill the Hidden, it crashes 50% of time time. Or possibly 80%.

PureD
16th May 2006, 02:13
This is a tough one here - I've been trying to find a way to get mani to make all players announce their dxlevel on join, because dx7 shows really different depending on the card you have. I've played on a true dx7 card and it's virtually invisible and I've played with dx9 adjusted to dx7 (trying to figure out why my server was crashing mind you) and the hidden might as well be white in some lighting. I'd really like a function to let me know if the theoritical player who keeps 'seeing' me is running dx9 or dx7, or better if you could know what H/W dx level they had, and if it was someone with dx9 running at dx7 auto ban their ass.

I don't want to forbid dx7 cards cause they aren't the problem - they're also a very small part of the HL2 community, but I do want to prevent people from exploiting it that don't need to use dx7.

On the cost of DX9 cards 5200's and 9550's (basically the dx9 starting level) are both under $50 US. A 9800 can be had for under $80. If you are running with something less than a 9600 I do believe you aren't able to fully appreciate what HL2 has to offer you - not to mention all the other games that would benefit.

Just my 2 cents on the issue.
well my card is DX 9 but default DX level is 8 on hl2 and hidden is completely invisible. If I force my card running dx 9 my computer lags...its not the card issue :D therefor i play on dx 7, cant do much with it

Seph31
16th May 2006, 02:51
MY friend has an old laptop with a dx 6/7 card and he sees the hidden clear as day even if he is standing still against a dark skybox. HOWEVER he does crash alot but its annnoying being killed when you know there is no normal way possible to see you.

ALSO bushes and stuff fade out not too far from him so you could hide in a bush halfway accross the map and be sniped out.

and WOW people if you cant save up $80 (go to newegg.com and get a geforce 6600, can easily do dx9), then seriously something is wrong.

DiabloTerrorGF
20th May 2006, 21:29
I wanna know which console command decides if the Hidden is volume light or invisible.

DiabloTerrorGF
25th May 2006, 22:26
Also, to fix all these crashing when the hidden dies, can't you just keep him invisible when he dies? Or remove the body or something? It's really meaningless to see him anyways because he flies like 15 feet from his spot.

DiabloTerrorGF
1st June 2006, 19:21
One good thing about all this, being behind a white or gray surface makes you entirely invisible to Dx7'ers.

majesticmerc
1st June 2006, 20:04
I have a friend who plays in DX7 mode (involuntarily, he's got a Geforce 3Ti), and he definitely has an advantage.

I think the best thing that can be done, is to make the hidden more transparent, and/or a darker shade of grey, especially seeing as how more and more maps are coming out very dark.

Fzm
2nd June 2006, 20:50

well.. this sounds like you have no problem with people cheating on you.

sports is a game, too - how do you think about cheating there?

chewyboy
15th June 2006, 00:53
Sorry, wash a few cars, mow a few lawns, it's not THAT hard to come up with enough for a entry level dx9 card.

You're an idiot. Some people don't get the same breaks other people do and you don't have to be a dick about it. Not everybody still gets money from mommy and daddy. Some people would rather spend money on other things than computer games. Last time a checked things werent perfect in beta and if you have a problem with "cheaters" don't play.