PDA

View Full Version : Servers Crashing - Runtime Errors, Timeouts, etc.

detached
8th May 2006, 20:30
Ok, so i've tried many ideas of my own, and nothing seems to be working. I even thought maybe just the odd reason the server couldn't handle too many H:S servers, so cut back to 2 for a night. Woke up to both down, runtime errors. Both had some major timeouts, then boom.

Windows 2000 w/ P4 3.0ghz HT with 1gb ram. Yeah, bit shoddy on the ram, but it ran a 32 player CS:S and 24 player DOD:S fine. Both most the time half if not totally full.

I've heard the runtime error issue is more Steam Based; But i'm just curious about the timeouts, and such. I've seem some servers that never seem to crash, although I may not just be on or paying attention when they do, and was just curious if any other admins had any ideas they've tried that sort of helped.

chilly
8th May 2006, 20:32
1gig of ram is more than enough for two hidden servers, they only use 40-50m a go anyway

K. GoBlin
8th May 2006, 20:39
I think it's more the clients crashing the servers than servers crashing on their own. My server can go days without crashing and then some days it'll crash 2-3 times without any warning. Everything's still in beta so try to be patient. If it's any consolation, I've run 4 different HL2 based mod servers so far and every single one of them have random crashing occurences. It's not just Hidden. Hopefully when HS comes out of Beta, it'll be as stable as CS:S or DOD:S (which, btw, aren't impervious to crashing either).

Ging
8th May 2006, 21:14
We're currently testing a server update that should resolve the mass timeout issue.

M_C
9th May 2006, 01:54
I think it's more the clients crashing the servers than servers crashing on their own. My server can go days without crashing and then some days it'll crash 2-3 times without any warning. Everything's still in beta so try to be patient. If it's any consolation, I've run 4 different HL2 based mod servers so far and every single one of them have random crashing occurences. It's not just Hidden. Hopefully when HS comes out of Beta, it'll be as stable as CS:S or DOD:S (which, btw, aren't impervious to crashing either).
My R&D server has been up 5.25 days with no crashes.

detached
9th May 2006, 04:45
We're currently testing a server update that should resolve the mass timeout issue.

Glad to hear.

I just feel bad for the players when suddenly the server drops out from under them and they we're in the middle of a game.

K. GoBlin
9th May 2006, 05:03
My R&D server has been up 5.25 days with no crashes.
Which is why I think it's the clients crashing the server and not the servers themselves crashing. Mine has gone that long without crashing as well. It's also crashed several times in a day.

M_C
9th May 2006, 05:34
Which is why I think it's the clients crashing the server and not the servers themselves crashing. Mine has gone that long without crashing as well. It's also crashed several times in a day.
I'd have to agree. My pub server crashes once every day or two. Less now than last week but traffic has dropped too.

hutch
9th May 2006, 05:39
whoo hooo!
way to go devs!

drax0r
9th May 2006, 11:39
Its not the servers that crash, its the clients being dropped, due multiple people crashing, it appears to happen on certain sounds, or textures

M_C
9th May 2006, 17:15
Its not the servers that crash, its the clients being dropped, due multiple people crashing, it appears to happen on certain sounds, or textures
You don't know what you're talking about, I've had my server *actually* crash, with an error.

detached
11th May 2006, 06:09
Ok. Now I can't say this will fix everyone's, really doubting it. But since I added Metamod + Bat + ForgiveTK to the servers, i've only had 2 runtime crashes, and maybe 3 or 4 major timeouts in the past 2.5days. Down from 10-15 runtime crashes a day, and major timeouts atleast once an hr.

I suggest giving it a shot, and all. Not sure how metamod would have affected anything, but it seems to have so far.

chilly
11th May 2006, 13:09
None of my servers have ever actually crashed, before and after I rolled back the srcds binaries. I have, however had mass timeouts.

K. GoBlin
11th May 2006, 14:22
I haven't had any mass timeouts since I removed Mani (I still have Metamod running, but no plugins) but I have had my server crash several times over the past week or so. Nothing major, probably about 3-4 times.

Ging
11th May 2006, 14:49
We're putting out a server side only update today that should help resolve the mass timeouts and make things a bit more stable.