PDA

View Full Version : Problem, please can someone help|?

dOjo_Snake
7th May 2006, 13:08
Hello happy hidden folks!

I was one of you, before the beta3 came out, playing the old school version without any troubles.

So i was excited to hear/download and install the new beta3, but whenever i join a server it goes through the whole connection process then drops me just before connecting, back to the find games windows.

i could do this all day long, yet when i get too vexxed and exit, it says problemo with hl2 and im back to the steam screen.

I have had a brief look around through the forums, if i missed the appropriate answer please can someone point me towards it?

I have tried getting rid of the old Hidden mod folder, i have tried overwriting it, i am at a loss and would love to be playing again any help much appreciated!

dOjo_Snake

Night Raider
7th May 2006, 14:40
Perhaps it's dropping you for taking too long connecting to a server? This commands will make load times faster.

sv_forcepreload 1

cl_forcepreload 1

Other than that, I'm not sure what could be causing that.

dOjo_Snake
7th May 2006, 14:57
thanks, i tried your suggestions however it didnt help.

It only takes a few seconds to load up so im stumped!

Reiter
7th May 2006, 22:26
Going back to the find servers window, as in crashing back to the desktop it looks like. If you are getting errors and it is related to datacache.dll, you are in a boat with a lot of us, but sounds like you're in the aft where it's sinking first. You can't even get into the game.

Try turning down all the details in game before joining a server, see if that helps. Otherwise, we don't have much to work with to help you.

Isolation
7th May 2006, 22:42
Don't know if it's related, but make sure you downloaded the client version, not the server version of B3. Other than that, I can't think of why you'd crash to desktop when trying to connect.

dOjo_Snake
8th May 2006, 10:25
lol,

I made such a school boy error.

Isolation you were right i d/l the server version as opposed to the client ver. I have never done that before! - and the reason was i wanted to d/l from a european server in the hopes it would be quicker.

I feel like such a hopeless n00b. I swear im not!

well 25min46sec left on the client ver. to d/l cant wait to get in and join peeps.

Thanks for such a good/quick response.

Reiter
8th May 2006, 11:28
Yup. Spread the word because you cannot spread the sight of The Hidden.