PDA

View Full Version : If it bleeds, it wont die?

Aeacus
4th May 2006, 16:19
I play hidden a lot with a few of my mates, and we have all noticed that damage doesn't sometimes register. As an example, i pig sticked someone, and lots of blood appeared on the wall behind him, but he didnt die (he then turned around and filled me full of shotty :( ). It happens with the guns aswell, i did a point blank shot on the hidden with shotgun, and he got no damage at all, even though the floor was covered in blood.

As a side note, the damage reporting in console sometimes seems to say the person that was hidden last round, was killing people this round, instead of updating to the new hidden name.

Ging
4th May 2006, 16:27
The damage report doesn't cover damage hidden does - it displays damage you did and damage done to you (by anyone)

Aeacus
4th May 2006, 16:30
Oh, maybe not damage then, but it does show "<hidden> killed <team mate> with knife"

GIGAR
4th May 2006, 18:29
Oh, maybe not damage then, but it does show "<hidden> killed <team mate> with knife"
Wired.
I don't know about that.
I DO know, that the hitboxes is kindda messed up, so they don't always work 100%.
Stupid VALVe :p

Easy_g
4th May 2006, 20:05
I know what you mean Aeacus. I've had rounds where I see the hidden and take one shot and clearly hit him (showing blood). It had to be me since I was the only one around. Then, checking the stats afterwards it says I did no damage. I've also had it happen when I hit the Hidden multiple times on different occasions during a round, but only 1 shot will actually have registered damage.

I've only had the no damage happen with pigstick happen once though.

Night Raider
4th May 2006, 22:37
Yeah, that's lag. It happens on CS:S and DoD:S too.

Aeacus
4th May 2006, 23:08
Certainly wasn't lag, happens in lan games too. Four of us on a self owned dedicated server, our pings weren't above 30.

EDIT: Friend just pointed out "shooting at someone who's there on your screen but not there in actuality might cause it to happen. They just need to improve how/when the blood splatters"

Ging
5th May 2006, 01:41
it's caused by client side prediction - I'm not going to get into it again as I think I've talked about it several million times now over the past few months, so I'll let someone else explain it...

Reiter
5th May 2006, 11:24
If i remember correctly the lag compensation in source triggers when it receives a usercmd from the client and effectively moves all other players back to a where they were lerpmsec + clientping ago. This _should_ be very close to the snapshot the player rendered at that time. During this unlagged state, the actual usercmd is executed including any hitscans etc. This removes the need for the player to lead his targets.

This is not prediction by the way, this all happens server side. I am downloading the source SDK again to check this out.

Got this from another thread to save me time. If this user prediction is in effect in lower ping servers, it could cause that because it's trying to predict for lag.

So, the best bet to remedy this particular problem is get a 14.4 modem and connect to a server.[/sarcasm]

Aeacus
5th May 2006, 21:59
Oh sorry, i had a look through the forums and didnt see anything on it. Mustn't have looked hard enough :P