PDA

View Full Version : Major FPS problems, getting 13-30 (normally 60-200)

Jeznor
4th May 2006, 04:24
I know this has been posted many times before.
But I have some more problems.
Ok.
First of all.
Here are my system Specs:
Intel 4, 3.0GHZ w/ HT
1.5GB of Ram at 3200
Sapphire ATI Radeon X1600XT 256MB DDR3 128bit PCX (16x)
DSL
Thats all you should need to know.

Here are the normal settings i run.
1280x1024, Everythign HIGH, AAx6, and AFx16, with HDR Full.
I usually get 60-200 FPS. (When theres no water ^_^)
This is amazing sence upgrading from my x550.

This game has an amazing idea behind it and sence playing it at a friends house i though I would try it out.
I downloaded it and went to play.
Offline (didn't check FPS) it wasn't choppy.

But when i go online, I'm getting around 50-100 ms.
But, the gameplay is VERY choppy, freezing up every second or two for a couple of frames. I'm getting a frame rate of 13-30 (most of the time 15-20).
I thought, O well, I jsut turn the settings down for this game no big deal.
I turned them down to 1024x760, AAx6, AFx4, No HDR or Bloom. Back ingame. 10-30FPS. I'm like WTF!?!?!?....
So I decided **** it..
I turn it down. 640x480, all settings low, no AA or AF, no HDR or Bloom.
I'm gettings wow... 15-35 FPS...

At any setting it shuddered every second or two.
I don't know what to do about this and have tried almost everything included on the forums to fix it.

I know what my friend tried and it fixed his but didn't fix mine (the cl_smooth 0 thing)

A few things you should take into account before telling me what you think i should do.
#1 - Yes, my graphics drivers are the latest drivers released by ATI
#2 - Yes, I AM running DX9.0c
#3 - Yes, I know what im talking about, im not some n00b to all these things.

B.Diamonds
4th May 2006, 06:52
say i have my monitor refresh rate @ 85.0
(what ever your max will handle)
in console type fpx_max 85.0
in console type cl_cmdrate 101
in console type cl_updaterate 101
in console type rate 25000

Make sure hdr is off in advanced options

This should fix any problems.

and if that doesnt work try changing the dxlevel of your card and that done in the command line by creating a short cut of dod source going to properties and at the end of the command line type "-dxlevel 80" the end product should look like this. (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 300 -dxlevel 80)

These settings really help all HL based games, but for some reason they work exceptionally well with Hidden-Source.

Try those out first, if that only provides minor improvement here are more commands:

cl_forcepreload 1 & sv_forcepreload 1 - Forces the game to preload ALL information, reducing suttering by not loading anything on the fly. CL stands for client-side (your machine) and SV stands for server-side (the server that you join).

cl_ragdoll_collide 1 - Prevents character models from merging into each other due to ragdoll effects, which improves realism with no real performance hit.

mat_compressedtextures 1 - Uses compressed textures to improve performance.

mat_bumpmap 0 - Disables bump-mapping. Reduces the texture quality for increased performance.

mat_specular 0 - Disables specular lighting. If you use disable bump-mapping, your character's arms and weapon will look like they made of chrome metal. Disabling specular lighting removes that effect.

Those have been posted before, but I reposted here as well.

NOTE: Forum Admins,
Maybe this should be a sticky, alot of people ask and it works 99% of the time.

KillerTV
4th May 2006, 15:52
Did you not read what he said? He gets a lot higher FPS, it's not a problem with his graphics settings. Go into a game, then type net_graph 3. Tell me what number your choke hangs around.

Also, just to test, play the tutorial, you should get your usual FPS, just to prove what I'm saying.

B.Diamonds
4th May 2006, 21:34
Did you not read what he said? He gets a lot higher FPS, it's not a problem with his graphics settings. Go into a game, then type net_graph 3. Tell me what number your choke hangs around.

Also, just to test, play the tutorial, you should get your usual FPS, just to prove what I'm saying.

Yes I did, That is a sheet that myself and other members have compiled, those are common settings that will increase your FPS. What he said was he was having problems with his FPS being very low.

ulthor
18th May 2006, 10:30
I've got (probably) the same problem here...Basically my FPS will jump from a low of 10 or so, to a high of 60 just standing still staring at a wall. However, this NEVER happens in the tutorial.

I've tryed all the other little tips out there...Brought all my settings down, brought them up. Turned things off and on, still no luck.

It just feels internet-chuggy vs. performance, but my bandwidth tests come out clean. My ping remains pretty steady in all servers (and across every other game through Steam). Maybe something to do with my router, D-Link DI 624?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

GIGAR
18th May 2006, 14:19
I don't know what the bug is, but it's sertainly not with your rig.
Mine is the half of that, and I don't have "big" fps problems. (Altrough I have a little, but I have no problems in playing, so I don't care :D)

Drasord
19th May 2006, 07:03
I'm getting these same problems. It seems to only be when on a server. Ive tried a few different servers all the same problem. FPS in the tutorial is usually 200+. Any other suggestions??

hutch
19th May 2006, 07:54
I'm getting these same problems. It seems to only be when on a server. Ive tried a few different servers all the same problem. FPS in the tutorial is usually 200+. Any other suggestions??
check your netgraph, whats your choke?

Drasord
20th May 2006, 22:26
ok nm what I said. HDR seems to have made all the difference in the world.. fps back to normal with it off. der

Ging
20th May 2006, 23:29
interesting, HDR isn't implemented in the mod...

GodTom
21st May 2006, 20:02
I seriously think choke is a problem, I get around 150 to 300 which is a major problem.

The hidden team needs to check this problem.

Boxy
21st May 2006, 21:33
I dont know if thats something we can sort out. I personally have 0 choke when i play, im pretty sure that net connection related so you might need to do some fiddling at your end?

*grunts about rates and 'whatnot'*

Ging
21st May 2006, 22:08
The hidden team needs to check this problem.

The choke is caused by something at your end... I know this because last time I suffered severe choke, I reinstalled steam and the problem went away - in fact, I just replaced all my gcfs.

M_C
21st May 2006, 22:38
The choke is caused by something at your end... I know this because last time I suffered severe choke, I reinstalled steam and the problem went away - in fact, I just replaced all my gcfs.
According to what I've read, the #1 cause of choke is improperly setting internet speed in STEAM. I've also done a lot of experimenting with the netcode and I've found that *some* choke (I can play with up to 60-70 with no problems) is not detrimental but zero should be better. I was going to do a how to guide on eliminating choke and optimizing netcode settings but only a few posted any data to compile anything substantial so it never got finished.

CK*BLACKWOLF
22nd May 2006, 08:21
Yep, has the same problem in DOD:S it don't affect my frame rate in any way..
But..I personally think it has to do with the source engine..Because regular h/l games mods such as dod 1.3 there is no loss or choke.Atleast thats what i gather,But who the hell am i lol........

peglegpete
23rd May 2006, 22:32
I've got (probably) the same problem here...Basically my FPS will jump from a low of 10 or so, to a high of 60 just standing still staring at a wall. However, this NEVER happens in the tutorial.

I've tryed all the other little tips out there...Brought all my settings down, brought them up. Turned things off and on, still no luck.

It just feels internet-chuggy vs. performance, but my bandwidth tests come out clean. My ping remains pretty steady in all servers (and across every other game through Steam). Maybe something to do with my router, D-Link DI 624?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

That sounds exactly like the problem I'm having right now. Every 5 minutes or so (hard to say exactly though; it's pretty sporadic) the framerate will drop to about 20 FPS and hold there for 30 seconds. No matter what my FPS was before that, it's like something is kicking in and slowing the game down, then it goes away for a while until it happens again. As far as I can tell, no specific action in the game is triggering it.

I know how to maintain and keep a system running. In fact I just reformatted, so I have every latest driver and up to date everything on all freshly install on a clean disk; and I've recently defragmented. I don't have anything running in the background that would cause a problem.

Here are my specs:
Mobo: Epox 9NPA nForce4 (I use the onboard sound)
CPU: Athlon64 3800+
RAM: 1GB Corsair XMS Pro PC-3200
Video: eVGA GeForce 6800 GT

I've tried lowering every setting in the game, which gives me great frame rate while the "slowness" isn't in effect, but lower detail video hasn't prevented it from occurring. I'd rather run the game at a higher resolution, my system can handle it.

It's pretty inexplicable, and really annoying to boot. Any insight would be appreciated :)

EDIT: Oh I also wanted to mention that my internet connection is pretty solid. I have checked the net_graph and never seen any bad choke, packet loss, or high ping while it was doing the slow thing. Counter-Strike plays 200% smoother than this game with none of these problems (just for comparison - Hidden is definitely a ton more fun).

EDIT #2: I resolved the problem. My graphics card was overheating. I'm glad it was an issue on my end and not something in the game. And, in case you were wondering, the reason CS plays better was that it's now summertime and my house's ambient temperature is rising. So I loaded up CS (while still ignorant of the overheating) and found out that it was having the same problems. It wasn't until I tried playing an entirely different FPS altogether (Condemned: Criminal Origins) that I realized the problem was happening in every game (well except SimCity 4 :P ) and that it had to be a hardware problem on my end. I removed the side of my case and pointed a desk fan at it, as well as pumpin the AC, so now all is well. I would say thanks.. but nobody helped me :p But thanks nonetheless. I'm playin the mod everyday and loving it to death.