PDA

View Full Version : Beta3 Bugreport! READ FIRST!

Reiter
3rd May 2006, 01:01
Okay, as of right now I am going to compile a list of known bugs that are in Beta 3. PLEASE READ THROUGH THESE before posting a new bug; it'll save the board moderators a good amount of time cleaning up topics once the major bugs will be fixed.

And now the moment you've been waiting for:

Crash-upon-kill bug: The developers are working very hard on fixing this bug as this is causing many client crashes. UPDATE: Simply copying files to different folders will quell this problem. Checkhttp://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=4443 for more info.

Server crashes: I'd suggest keeping away from Mani and other admin plugins until the server version is much more stable.

Spectator bugs: There are several, including one that leaves you at crouch level when you are following a marine first person, or when you are watching through the cameras in the level a lot of objects disappear, but work after round restart or when you go to first person and then back to the level cameras a couple times. It is being worked on, as noted by a developer.

Headless bug: This is often found by not selecting a marine and just selecting assault or support and hitting "Confirm." Don't do that.

The aura bug: The aura does not always display IRIS members in full view.

Shader problems: As always, please be sure to make sure you have the latest video drivers. In order to play HL2 should really have a DX9 capable graphics card. Issues will be seen if your video card DXHardware version is less than 9 as well.

Pigstick animation bugs: It has been a problem since Beta1 and is still being worked on - it is not an easy fix relating to altering the timing of the animations.

Support Icons: Sometimes they aren't appearing.

Random Hidden Select: Sometimes no one is selected in smaller games or if someone is spectating.. For now, if you're having problems with the Random Hidden Select, just turn it off.

Ladder bug: Sometimes the hands disappear when you're climbing a ladder and don't return. Select another weapon, and then select the primary weapon again. It's just an occasional thing where the animation isn't recalled onto the screen. No big worry.

Death Message: If you are typing a message, the death alert may not come up.

Sticking to other people: This is a bug, and from what I have read may be caused by source and may take a lot more remedy than is possible at the moment. Bug makes you stick to players and will not let you leap away. The current solution I have is just hitting crouch to get unstuck, just good luck on getting away in time. (Added May 3rd 2006)

Ammo updating: Reloading and switching weapons will show a much higher amount in your clip than should be possible. This has been posted on the forums and as far as I am concerned can be considered an exploit. So don't do it! (Added May 5th 2006)

Entity conflicts: Putting a mine in a door entity (this includes lifts) will cause the game to have an "interpenetrating entities" fit that may crash clients. So far this bug has been exhibited on stalkyard and as far as I have been able to gather is on the lift. For now, avoid putting a mine on the lift or at a point where the laser would intersect the lift. If anyone else receives a problem elsewhere on other maps, please list it in this thread. (http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=4310)

As always, feel free to post any new bugs that you may have found here. Also, read this thread (http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=2259) before posting any bugs. As stated there, saying "I'm crashing and this is happening" is not gonna help us much.

I will update this post as I find more bugs posted and aknowledged.

And no, I am not a board moderator or part of the devteam. I am just helping out.

Changed some wording to reflect I am truly not a dev. :p Just heed this post, please.

Rymdkejsaren
3rd May 2006, 01:10
Seeing auras through walls is a bug? What use is auras if you don't? D:

Merciless
3rd May 2006, 01:16
seeing aura's through the wall is not a bug...

hes making himself sound like hes an official, considering he obviously doesnt know much about hidden yet. let me quote you a little.

Okay, as of right now I am going to compile a list of known bugs that are in Beta 3. PLEASE READ THROUGH THESE before posting a new bug; it'll save the board moderators a good amount of time cleaning up topics once the major bugs will be fixed.

And now the moment you've been waiting for:

Crash-upon-kill bug: The developers are working very hard on fixing this bug as this is causing many client crashes. They will release something as soon as it is playable, I am sure. Keep in mind that this game is still in Beta.

i agree with you here, the bug does exist, but since when was there a fix being developed?

Server crashes: Also a known problem. We know your servers are crashing at least 4 times, and I have noticed myself the servers are even more unstable with 3rd party mods. I'd suggest keeping away from Mani and other admin plugins until the server version is much more stable.

the server crashes are in relation to the same bug above, nothing to do with plugins.

Spectator bugs: There are several, including one that leaves you at crouch level when you are following a marine first person. A coder is looking into that right now. They are also aware of the bug that does not display the location when you're going through the cameras and alignment of the timeclock.

yup.

Headless bug: As amusing as that is, it will be fixed. This is often found by not selecting a marine and just selecting assault or support and hitting "Confirm." Don't do that.

at the moment, it happens when you "change" your class and wep in a full room, so all the models are taken and you cannot reselect your current. i dont think people do it on purpose, and its nothing gamebreaking.

The aura bug: We know you can see peoples auras through walls and such. This is due to physobjects in the world and the interactivity of that particular skill. Not sure if this is a priority on the fixlist, but I think it will be fixed in 2 releases or so. The devteam is really good about that.

"the devteam is really good about that?" what? IRIS auras are SUPPOSED to be visible. the aura was developed to stop campers and hiders. and also to encourage people to slash kill rather than whore the PS.

Shader problems: This is causing windows to not show the hidden on the other side, or not show the window. This is a combination of coding and your card. As always, please be sure to make sure you have the latest video drivers. In order to play HL2 you need DX9, so that should be up-to-date. Issues will be seen if your video card DXHardware version is less than 9 as well.

hmmm... what shader problem? the only shader prob in H:S is when people have outdated gfx cards and see black hiddens.

Pigstick animation bugs: This has been an ongoing problem and has been noted by a coder that there is something similar with the shotgun animation. Apparently it is inherent to the SDK (Software Development Kit that is released by Valve). It has been a problem since Beta1 and is still being worked on.

Kinda fixed... thats what the whole "pigstick recharge timer" crap is about..

Hidden Taunts: Sometimes you can't hear them at all, sometimes you hear them far away. Check your speaker settings! I know some people have been known to use headphones and their soundcard is set to 5.1 or whatever the full spectrum is. This won't help you in your existence in The Hidden. If there is an actual bug, it will be investigated but otherwise this is not a bug!

there is no bug with the taunts. it doesnt work when you try to spam it due to "spam saftey server control"

Support Icons: Sometimes they aren't appearing. They are still being worked on

:confused:

Flashlight issues: Still an ongoing problem. Nothing major, but it is known about.

:confused:

Random Hidden Select: Sometimes no one is selected in smaller games or if someone is spectating.. For now, if you're having problems with the Random Hidden Select, just turn it off. It is a minor coding issue and should be fixed within a release or two, as far as I can guess.

hmmm, i have actually had this bug.

Ladder bug: Sometimes the hands disappear when you're climbing a ladder. Select another weapon, and then select the primary weapon again. It's just an occasional thing where the animation isn't recalled onto the screen. No big worry.

you dont think this could be something to do with the "ladder climb=Holster" do ya?

As always, feel free to post any new bugs that you may have found here. Also, read this thread (http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=2259) before posting any bugs. As stated there, saying "I'm crashing and this is happening" is not gonna help us much.

I will update this post as I find more bugs posted and aknowledged.

And no, I am not a board moderator or part of the devteam. I am just helping out.

Anyway, its a nice list, but do your homework first :O

Night Raider
3rd May 2006, 01:18
He's just giving info so that people won't join the forum and automatically make a new thread with a well known bug. It's a good idea.

Ging
3rd May 2006, 01:20
Please don't estimate when an item will be fixed... As you said yourself, you are not a dev team member - that sort of information can only come from one of us...

Reiter
3rd May 2006, 01:24
Please don't estimate when an item will be fixed... As you said yourself, you are not a dev team member - that sort of information can only come from one of us...

Copy. I'm editing the post right now to reflect that.

Cyborg
3rd May 2006, 01:26
also, hands are supposed to dissapear climbing ladders... unless you have four hands

Night Raider
3rd May 2006, 01:27
The problem is sometimes they don't reappear after climbing the ladder.

Reiter
3rd May 2006, 01:28
seeing aura's through the wall is not a bug...

is this guy supposed to be an official or something? hes making himself sound like it, also considering he obviously doesnt know much i doubt it. let me quote you a little.

Sorry, fixed that one too. I forgot a few words.

(I gotta love ADD)

Night Raider
3rd May 2006, 01:33
You should probably add the "stickyness" when in close proximity to another player is not a bug that can be fixed.

Reiter
3rd May 2006, 01:35
I never thought of that as a bug. Whenever I was the hidden and got stuck, I simply hit crouch for a brief second and leapt away.

Puzzlemaker
3rd May 2006, 01:36
M_C, leave the guy alone...

Night Raider
3rd May 2006, 01:42
I never thought of that as a bug. Whenever I was the hidden and got stuck, I simply hit crouch for a brief second and leapt away.
Just make sure others who read it don't believe that it is. ;)

renegade
3rd May 2006, 01:49
... i think a dev team member should make their own forum accurately explaining common bugs that have already been reported. that way there will be no controvercy from the fact a non-dev team person on the forums is creating it...

Reiter
3rd May 2006, 01:51
Yeah, it'd be good. I just threw this up for starters. Hell, even the devs can use it as a template or whatever. I don't care, really. I was just passing some time.

Kitty_Loaf
3rd May 2006, 02:15
You forgot the death message bug. It's still kinda screwey

Rymdkejsaren
3rd May 2006, 02:33
Stickyness can't be solved? That's a game killer... D:

Reiter
3rd May 2006, 03:58
Stickyness can't be solved? That's a game killer... D:

Just crouch and you unstick. As far as I can tell The Hidden will stick to a person when you do a leap onto them. Just crouch to get off of them, like any other surface.

detached
3rd May 2006, 07:36
Ah. So this is what you we're workin on earlier when you kept sayin you we're testing out/trying to find some bugs. Personally found it informative, thanks.

The Laughing Man
3rd May 2006, 08:02
I found some others.. but i'm not going to say.. sent pm to a mod..

Rymdkejsaren
3rd May 2006, 16:54
Just crouch and you unstick. As far as I can tell The Hidden will stick to a person when you do a leap onto them. Just crouch to get off of them, like any other surface.

It seems to me it happens every time you touch anyone. Having to duck every time you touch someone can be a bit distracting from the game itself. Also, I have to worry every time that I get stuck on a corner that I have run into the Hidden and he is about to kill me. To me, it's a high priority issue.

Reiter
4th May 2006, 23:03
Bumping: have edited the list to include another bug and broaden one that is listed.

scratch
5th May 2006, 04:39
I think the crashes are related to a memory leak. Sometimes the screen just freezes and i have to restart my comp, but sometimes i'm getting two error messages, either "read couldn't access memory at xxxxxxxx" or "written couldn't access memory at xxxxxxxx". Never got the datacache.dll error in event viewer.
It happens in every gamemode, PS on or off, Random on or off, doesn't matter, map doesn't seem to be decisive too. But most of the time it's at start or end of the round. Also, some servers seem to be more vulnerable to this bug than others, but perhaps it's just a randomly occuring event.

Next time the game crashes and i'm happy windows got the error i'll run a debug.

kkazican
5th May 2006, 06:27
Sticking to other people: This is a bug, and from what I have read may be caused by source and may take a lot more remedy than is possible at the moment. Bug makes you stick to players and will not let you leap away. The current solution I have is just hitting crouch to get unstuck, just good luck on getting away in time. (Added May 3rd 2006)

You know an easier way for the devs to solve this problem is to simply make the IRIS have Velcro textures, and say the Hidden has a bunch of very small very fine hairs all around his body, because that thing the IRIS members are wearing right now sure as hell doesn't act like any body armor I've ever seen. (Can't stop a knife slash? A piece of wood can stop a knife slash let alone kevlar)

Demented
5th May 2006, 06:34
A guy that can shove a car from a standing position in a single move can almost certainly punch through body armor with a knife. Kevlar isn't that good at stopping knife thrusts either.

Maybe at some point I'll bother testing stickyness in other mods....

Zephyr
6th May 2006, 01:56
I've had problems with this crash-upon kill bug myself. However i have noticed some things which seem to alleviate this problem, for me anyway. so ill try and tell you some tips and see if it helps. If these have already been said then please forgive me, and if they sound stupid then ignore me, your choice.

A]server
1) When picking a server chose one with a relatively high latency around 150-250 usually helps.
2)Pick a server from the steam window rather then the in-game server search.
3)Don't pick one with 7/9 or higher amount of people playing 5 or 6/9 is usually a good choice.

B]In-game
1)Pick your person and weapons quickly.
2)Make sure you don't all cobble together the crash is more frequent with a higher frequency of people.
3)Try and not shoot at him at the same time with so many others (stupid i know) this usually leads to an automatic freeze and crash.
4)If you are playing and it says final round then do what i do sometimes. Leave the server. rude and annoying i know but it appears to work for me.
5)If you Dont want to leave then do 2 and try and split up in small groups or go it alone.
6)If the game freezes up count to 5 and it if hasen't gone to your desktop, crashed, or resumed then press the windows button ctrl+alt+del and close it down.

C]Misc
1)Try and not spectate mid game just get in and play.
2)This may or may not be true: Avoid add-on's or plug in's no telling what might happen.
3)Go for maps which are big allowing greater distance between you and your teammates

Well I Hope this helps somewhat, if it does then play,play,play if it doesn't then i'm sorry it didn't help.

and in case anyone wants to know my specs here they are:
COMPAQ presario 5000 series
256MB SyncDram Total System Memory
AMD Athlon XP Processor Model 1700
40GB Hard Drive
nVidia NV11 MX200 TV out Graphics card
Microsoft Windows XP

Well thats my first post done I hope to see you in the corridors scared as hell, run little pigs, run

kkazican
6th May 2006, 21:18
A guy that can shove a car from a standing position in a single move can almost certainly punch through body armor with a knife. Kevlar isn't that good at stopping knife thrusts either.

Maybe at some point I'll bother testing stickyness in other mods....

Yeah a thrust I can understand (shove a car? when did he do that?) which is why I said slash.

Slashing and thrusting are completely different with slashing being a way to cut and deal mild outer damage on something while thrusting will focus all the force onto one point making the ability to penetrate the membrane easier (like a needle).

I would like you to get a dry sponge and a knife. Slash the sponge with the knife. It will not reach the floor underneath because the sponge like kevlar has layers and each absorbs the energy from the slash making it less useful. Since the slash is over a large amount of space then it is even less efficient.

Then use the same knife and try plunging it into the sponge. That WILL penetrate it which is why I said the kevlar texture should be changed. It's not that the pig stick doesn't make any sense for getting through but the knife slash doesn't. Whatever petpeeve I have.

M_C
6th May 2006, 21:21
I think the crashes are related to a memory leak. Sometimes the screen just freezes and i have to restart my comp, but sometimes i'm getting two error messages, either "read couldn't access memory at xxxxxxxx" or "written couldn't access memory at xxxxxxxx". Never got the datacache.dll error in event viewer.

Add this "+mat_forcehardwaresync 0" (without the quotes) to your launch options and see if it stops that mem crash. You might want to run a memory test on your RAM too.

Demented
6th May 2006, 22:04
Yeah a thrust I can understand (shove a car? when did he do that?) which is why I said slash.

Which is why it takes three slashes. =D
One for the armor, two for the chest, and three for those tasty organs.

And he can shove the cars in trainyard with the pigstick. Most people, running full tilt and body slamming a car will bounce off. In the game, the IRIS pretty much can't do jack squat to the cars, I think, though maybe the shotgun can do some budging.

He used to be able to shove them a lot more, too, especially the white van in Trainyard. Apparently the van was made from aluminum.

(If you're wondering how the knife survives... it's made of neutronium.)

Reiter
6th May 2006, 22:41
Stick to the thread guys.

I'm also gonna try that force memory commandline and see if that helps out for some reason. I know I don't have faulty memory, but I am willing to try anything at this point.