PDA

View Full Version : Help Setting up a Dedicated Server on LAN

nex
2nd May 2006, 15:49
So I'm back at Uni now, which means no more online Hidden :mad:

Fortunately I've been pretty successful in hyping the game to all the LAN gamers I know, and we've had a few local games and people are loving it.

What I'd like to be able to do, though, is set up a dedicated server on my machine so that others can join it even when I'm not playing. I'd also like to be able to join this server from the same machine.

With other games, such as Q3, I have no trouble running the server in the background all the time, and then connecting to it (on the same PC) when I want to join the fun. Is this possible with Source games, or will I need the ded. server to be on a different machine?

I've downloaded the dedicated server pack for b3 and am at a bit of a loss of what to do. Do I shove it into my sourcemods dir, overwriting my main hidden directory? Or do I put it somewhere else completely, and use some kind of shortcut to get the server going?

Cheers for any help

Dead Inside
2nd May 2006, 16:47
Theres a dedicated source server package you can get directly through your steam games list, this might be simpler for you to set up and its all done via GUI, i'm not sure if its still possible to get it to run in the old HLDS command line format via a switch, its probably mentioned somewhere though!

Personally i would always use the seperate SRCDS installer, a couple of pretty similar guides for installing this can be found here (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=373795) and also here (http://www.toxicstudios.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15)

Instead of installing a whole load of mods or anything you don't want just run the update (install) for hl2mp then copy the hidden dedicated server files into the srcds folder. Then you can forget about hl2mp and just setup and configure the hidden install to your liking. I believe you need hl2mp there as it gets some of the required HL2/source engine files, this is the way we usually do it, i guess another mod instead might work, not 100% sure though.

You might need to change the default port to 27016 if you want to run a server and play on the same machine, i'm sure i remember something like this from my early HLDS server days, thats a rather long time ago though and source is a bit different at times anyway! It should certainly be doable though, possibly even without you changing anything like that.

Obviously this is steam/source engine stuff though, it may be quite demanding on the machine, especially if you want to play on it too, perhaps sneak into the IT server room one night, or make friends with the techs ;)

That should at least give you something to get started with.

Edit: Seems to still be a sticky here (http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=36) as well that will likely be of some help too.

K. GoBlin
2nd May 2006, 17:34
If you're experienced with admining a server or you feel savvy enough to take on setting up a dedicated server through SRCDS, you can download it here (this is assuming you have a Windows server):
http://storefront.steampowered.com/download/hldsupdatetool.exe

You'll basically download the tool, install it and run this command line:
c:\(location of the hldsupdatetool.exe you just installed) -command update -game hl2mp -dir (install location, lot of people use c:\HLServer)
so your command will look something like this:
c:\HldsUpdateTool.exe -command update -game hl2mp -dir c:\HLServer
and it will download all the necessary files into a folder it created at c:\HLServer.

Once everything's downloaded, I would replace all the files in your c:\HLServer with the ones found here if you wish to monitor your server with a tool like HLSW (http://www.hlsw.net):
http://www.hidden-source.com/downloads/winsrcds.zip
Extract those files into your c:\HLServer and replace all files (be sure to back them up first!).

Once you've set all that up, you'll need to download the Hidden Dedicated server files located in the downloads section on the main page and move them to the c:\HLServer directory, so you'll end up with a directory that looks like c:\HLServer\hidden

The rest is up to you. At this time you can run the server and it will technically work. You may want to edit the server.cfg located in:
c:\HLServer\hidden\cfg\server.cfg
and add a hostname or change some of the cvars to your liking (or maybe password protect it so other people can't jump in). The cvar is:
sv_password "your password here"
You may also want to set an rcon password so you can manage your server via HLSW. The cvar is:
rcon_password "your RCON password here"
You also probably want to set this cvar:
sv_lan 1

Additions such as Mani Mod and SourceMM can be installed as well, but I'd advise against it if you're just doing LAN play. Best to keep things you don't really need off the server for stability sake.

Edit:
Oops, guess you want to know how to start the game.
If you're going to be playing on the same machine, I would run it in console mode (not the GUI).
Run this command:
c:\HLServer\srcds -console -game hidden +maxplayers 9 +map (whatever map you want your server to start with, think default is stalkyard) +ip (you may or may not need to set this. Sometimes SRCDS doesn't work unless you tell it what IP it is) +port (as mentioned above, you probably want to set this port to 27016 or higher)

Disclaimer: I've never run a *dedicated* server on the same machine I was playing on, so I'm not sure how well this will all work or if will even work. Good luck!

nex
2nd May 2006, 18:13
Thanks a lot guys, seems reasonably straight forward; busy downloading all the files with hldsupdatetool at the moment (taking a rather long time getting all those hl2dm maps). Will let you know if there are any major problems!

K. GoBlin
2nd May 2006, 18:36
As long as you don't ping boost or change the tick of your server, you'll be fine. SRCDS and HLDS aren't processor intensive at all at their standard settings. The biggest concern would be network usage, which I'm sure there are other students on your campus using much more on Limewire or downloading/seeding torrents.
Not to get off subject, but I'm too old to have experienced WAN's and internet on campus at college, but if I were in that sort of school, I'd invest in a heavyduty firewall. :p

nex
3rd May 2006, 17:57
Got the server set up and running, all seems to be fine except for when people (myself included) try to join. It sits at the "Sending Client Info" part of the loading bar for far longer than usual (several minutes), and when it finally gets into the game it just seems to freeze at the motd screen, and the game stops responding. After playing around, it seems the same happens when I host a DoD:S server, or any HL2-based game server for that matter.

My computer isn't getting strained at all, and neither the client nor server process seems to be gagging for more power. My specs:
athlon X2 4400+ cpu
2gig ram
geforce 7800gtx
win XP

Completely out of ideas, does anyone know what the problem might be?

Cheers

Dead Inside
3rd May 2006, 18:05
Possibly firewall related then, do the attempts to connect to the server ever show up in the server console?

It may be that the server and or client info ports just aren't open for those games on your network.

Could be something else, but i get similar after a reinstall when i try and join games having not yet allowed it through my software firewall ruleset.

Again in the server console do you get any errors or anything?

chilly
3rd May 2006, 18:07
could be the ports are being blocked? try setting non-standard ports for the server?

nex
3rd May 2006, 18:12
Well, there usually aren't any problems with LAN games within campus; the firewall is pretty evil for external connections but internal there aren't any problems. I've had a pretty permanent Quake3 server running since the start of the year, and there're always CS:S servers popping up with no problems.

As for the console, it shows the player connecting, then after a while it says they've timed out. There are some errors that pop up though, although they don't seem to be fatal. "couldn't exec skill1.cfg" pops up at the start, along with
"Error: Material "models/effects/vol_light001" : proxy "TextureScroll" not found!
Error: Material "models/effects/vol_light002" : proxy "TextureScroll" not found!"
(but doesnt happen with some maps).

I'll keep having a play around; like I said, it doesn't seem to be related to the firewall, but you never know.

detached
3rd May 2006, 19:44
I had the same problem before and what fixed it was setting 2 things.

in server.cfg add the line: sv_lan 1

also set the ip to the machine's physical ip. Start>Run type cmd. In the console window type ipconfig, and use your IP Address.

Has fixed it for me and a couple other people before. Hope this helps.

nex
4th May 2006, 19:52
It seems that the server is semi-working, but it's incredibly annoying to connect to. It hangs for about 5 minutes while connecting, and then freezes for another 5 minutes at the motd screen (which only displays a black motd box with no text, and a pink/grey striped line at the bottom instead of the usual golden border). Half the time the client will time out at this stage, but the other half of the time the character select screen finally comes up and everyone can play properly, no lag or anything.

Very confused, tried everything suggested so far and the problem still exists :( If anyone has any other ideas, let me know. Thanks!

edit: oh, one thing I noticed in the client console window (which may be perfectly normal or may be causing the problem) is this line:
"File 'downloads/7d2c74a3.dat' requested from server 129.12.231.20:27015."
Should that be happening?

Dead Inside
4th May 2006, 23:34
have you seen this (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=423747) thread by any chance? It suggest turning off NetBIOS.

I think the download things are possibly to do with players sprays/tags being uploaded, its nothing to worry about anyway iirc.

Theres nothing much else i've come accross so far that might be of help, i'd say it might simply be the network, but if you get other servers, especially CSS ones working ok then it seems unlikely.

Are you using -nomaster in the launch options, i didn't notice it offhand elsewhere, it should ensure it at least shows up in the LAN games if its not already.

nex
5th May 2006, 14:45
Oh, awesome ;) Turning off Netbios did indeed do the trick, thanks for the link :D

*bows to everyone and then goes to stab people over LAN*

Dead Inside
5th May 2006, 15:02
Excellent, i must remember that one then.

Enjoy! :D