PDA

View Full Version : Having weird lag, but ping is fine!!

Taco*Bob
2nd May 2006, 06:28
on every server i go to, i have this kind of tweaking, stuttering lag and my ping is always fine. ANY server i go to it does this. whether my ping is 100 or 10, i experience this. i have asked for help many times, but cannot find a solution. some of the things ive already tried...

1. Re installing (from a different source) and re downloading.

2. Update driver.

3. Tried a lower texture setting.

4. Set frame rate to 999. *someone said this didnt matter*

my internet and computer is just fine. i haeva good video card and all.
anyways, please PLEASE help me to fix this. i never experienced this with Beta 2, but Beta 3 is failing me!!!

P.S. i like this face... ------> :p

majesticmerc
2nd May 2006, 09:02
Everyone gets it at some point or another, I tend to get it a lot too, but unfortunately at the minute there isn't a fix, hopefully there should be one soon though :).

Vargavinter
2nd May 2006, 13:28
I have such bad stuttering that i get 2 fps all the time even though i have 15 in ping. And it never ends, which make it totally unplayable.

And another annoying thing is that the field that shows my ammo is in the middle of the screen abit to the left and i can see about 50% of it.

majesticmerc
2nd May 2006, 14:31
If your HUD (the thing that shows your ammo) is deformed like you say, type "hud_reloadscheme" (without the quotes) into the console, and you should be sorted, thats a problem in all the mods and in HL2 itself, nothing much that the hidden devs can do about it.

K. GoBlin
2nd May 2006, 15:35
I know in HL1 when I had a crappy computer, I had to set the priority of the Steam.exe process to low or I'd get a stuttering type of lag in any HL1 online game. If all else fails, you may want to experiment with that.

Robok
2nd May 2006, 17:54
Try cl_smooth 0 , I think it'll fix that, at least it did for me.

Dov
3rd May 2006, 07:12
I'm having the same problem. My ping doesn't get any higher than 30-40 in most games and yet I'm averaging 10 fps or less. The game is unplayable at this point, and cl_smooth 0 didn't do anything. I don't think it's my system (P4 2.8 ghz, 2 GB RAM, and a GeForce 6800GT with latest drivers). Also, sometimes when I load up the game I just get a big blue screen and can't see anything. Anyone from the dev team have any idea what's going on here?

K. GoBlin
3rd May 2006, 14:16
Sounds to me like there's something wrong with your video card. Might want to check the temp on it or possibly look into replacing it. I played Hidden on my previous computer with a 6800GT and it got an average of 60-80FPS.

Dov
3rd May 2006, 17:41
I doubt it's my card. I have no problem running any other game on my system, including all Source applications that I have installed. I didn't have any problem running the b2 version of The Hidden either; this only started with the b3 version.

B.Diamonds
3rd May 2006, 19:49
Make sure you have directx9

say i have my monitor refresh rate @ 85.0
(what ever your max will handle)
in console type fpx_max 85.0
in console type cl_cmdrate 101
in console type cl_updaterate 101
in console type rate 25000

Make sure hdr is off in advanced options

This should fix any problems.

and if that doesnt work try changing the dxlevel of your card and that done in the command line by creating a short cut of dod source going to properties and at the end of the command line type "-dxlevel 80" the end product should look like this. (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 300 -dxlevel 80)

These settings really help all HL based games, but for some reason they work exceptionally well with Hidden-Source.

Try those out first, if that only provides minor improvement here are more commands:

cl_forcepreload 1 & sv_forcepreload 1 - Forces the game to preload ALL information, reducing suttering by not loading anything on the fly. CL stands for client-side (your machine) and SV stands for server-side (the server that you join).

cl_ragdoll_collide 1 - Prevents character models from merging into each other due to ragdoll effects, which improves realism with no real performance hit.

mat_compressedtextures 1 - Uses compressed textures to improve performance.

mat_bumpmap 0 - Disables bump-mapping. Reduces the texture quality for increased performance.

mat_specular 0 - Disables specular lighting. If you use disable bump-mapping, your character's arms and weapon will look like they made of chrome metal. Disabling specular lighting removes that effect.

Those have been posted before, but I reposted here as well.

K. GoBlin
4th May 2006, 10:06
You should really ask an admin what the server's maxrate, maxudaterate, etc are set to before messing with your client side settings. Assuming that they're set to something and then messing with cl_cvars can make matters worse. Again, I used the same card with HS and it should require any tweaking to get decent FPS with it, especially if you're saying other games aren't giving you any issues. If all else fails and you think you've tried everything you can think of, I always recommend a reinstall of the game.