PDA

View Full Version : Admins who "keep it clean"

M_C
1st May 2006, 19:06
For those of us that have language restrictions (mani or MOTD) on our servers, how do you feel about the one radio taunt that bypasses the rules?

It's a bit much turning off all of the taunts, to stop one, but I don't see another choice besides relaxing language restrictions, which negates the whole "keeping it clean" thing. Seriously, once you start allowing "****" there's not much point in restricting other bad words (besides the racial/hate stuff) either, is there?

chilly
1st May 2006, 19:27
why bother restrict it at all? If someone gets offended by a word they can **** off my servers.

Addressing your point, though, you do seem to be a bit stuck if you do have restrictions. Perhaps suggest a change for the next patch? or ask one of the devs if there is a cunning way to nuke a particular radio taunt without killing the whole lot?

Chilly

M_C
1st May 2006, 19:32
why bother restrict it at all? If someone gets offended by a word they can **** off my servers.

Addressing your point, though, you do seem to be a bit stuck if you do have restrictions. Perhaps suggest a change for the next patch? or ask one of the devs if there is a cunning way to nuke a particular radio taunt without killing the whole lot?

Chilly
Like the title of the thread says, some admins like to keep servers clean. While there's an age warning on b3 we still have number of children, as young as 12, here that play. (and often troll)

I figured I'd start a debate first before coming to conclusions. It is a bit like being between a rock and a hard spot, rules wise.

MiasmicAnomie
1st May 2006, 19:39
The taunt comes from the game itself, players cursing over mic or in chat comes from the player. I don't really see a rock-and-hard-place problem if the 'keep it clean' applies to the players - you just say 'YOU don't curse, in chat or over mic'.

If you don't want anyone to hear any cursing, at all, while playing on your server, then it's a rock-and-hard-place problem.

M_C
1st May 2006, 19:45
The taunt comes from the game itself, players cursing over mic or in chat comes from the player. I don't really see a rock-and-hard-place problem if the 'keep it clean' applies to the players - you just say 'YOU don't curse, in chat or over mic'.

If you don't want anyone to hear any cursing, at all, while playing on your server, then it's a rock-and-hard-place problem.
It comes from the game but it's activated by the player, it's no different than over mic except, with the taunt, it shows in the log and over mic it doesn't, imo. If it just randomly played without buttons having to be pushed, you'd be right.

MiasmicAnomie
1st May 2006, 19:52
It comes from the game but it's activated by the player, it's no different than over mic except, with the taunt, it shows in the log and over mic it doesn't, imo. If it just randomly played without buttons having to be pushed, you'd be right.

It's different in the sense that it's undirected - e.g., it's activated by the player, but it'd be damn hard to direct it at any particular other player. The game just plays it, and it always plays the exact same thing. In that sense it is no different from the game just randomly playing it. Whereas over mic or chat players will say whatever they say, it's very easy for them to direct it at a particular player, etc.

A 'No cursing in chat or over mic' rule covers it cleanly, if that's what you want to do. There's no ambiguity there.

Dead Inside
1st May 2006, 19:55
I don't see it as that much of a problem, unless swearing is particularly directed at someone in an abusive manner, is noticably excessive or its racist then i tend not to bother about it. I don't always particularly like it or see the need for it, but i wouldn't punish someone over it unless it clearly was designed to offend or make trouble, rather than just part of the game or some harmless fun.

I think i can live with one taunt, the novelty will likely wear off soon anyway.

MiasmicAnomie
1st May 2006, 19:59
I'm pretty much the same way. No worries about cursing in and of itself.

Hassle other players, cursing or not, and we're suddenly in a different story.

M_C
1st May 2006, 20:00
It's different in the sense that it's undirected - e.g., it's activated by the player, but it'd be damn hard to direct it at any particular other player. In that sense it is no different from the game just randomly playing it.
Not true, I saw an IRIS, run right into the face of another IRIS and used the taunt and then he ran and did it to another. This was before I changed the radio limit to 30. Another said something to the effect of: "hey player:" - taunt - So far, I've been ignoring that taunt but I haven't decided on a solution yet. I'll either find a way to disable it or relax the rules on swearing but I'd rather keep the server clean and it's not "clean" the way it is. *shrug*

Kitty_Loaf
1st May 2006, 20:10
Sorry, but if a 12 year old kid is playing a game where he kills people with his bare hands, drags bodies around, makes people expload with a knife, and scare the crap out of people... well, **** is probably the least thing i'm worried about them learning.

Plus, they're going to learn it (and use it) anyways

Too much of it though is just annoying... A gattling gun of **** is annoying

Isolation
1st May 2006, 20:18
I was playing on the ChristianCS server last night, and the admins themselves told players not to use it... to which a "certain" player ignored (Yeah, you know who you are :D ).

The point being, is there no way to restrict just THAT one, given it's an actual command (radio *number*...Miasmic knows).

hutch
1st May 2006, 20:22
A gattling gun of **** is annoying
well so is m_c, or is that who your talking about?

M_C
1st May 2006, 20:22
I was playing on the ChristianCS server last night, and the admins themselves told players not to use it... to which a "certain" player ignored (Yeah, you know who you are :D ).

The point being, is there no way to restrict just THAT one, given it's an actual command (radio *number*...Miasmic knows).
I'm not sure that mani couldn't, with a little tweaking.

InsaneAction
1st May 2006, 20:23
Might i recomend on the next patch to just have some Raido static come in strong on the curse word in the voice part and the good old ***'s on the text part. There's my 2cents.

M_C
1st May 2006, 20:28
Might i recomend on the next patch to just have some Raido static come in strong on the curse word in the voice part and the good old ***'s on the text part. There's my 2cents.
The text part doesn't display in the logs, it's just the audio. If the server (or mani) blocked that command, it wouldn't get relayed to the other clients.
00:06:26 ( IRIS) Etwas Geme|n : You are one UGLY mother!

;)

Isolation
1st May 2006, 20:29
In the text, it only says "You're one UGLY mother." I believe.

EDIT: Damn it. Twice now.

M_C
1st May 2006, 20:41
If that's all the audio said, we wouldn't be having this debate. ;)

Hamel
2nd May 2006, 07:16
Sorry, but if a 12 year old kid is playing a game where he kills people with his bare hands, drags bodies around, makes people expload with a knife, and scare the crap out of people... well, **** is probably the least thing i'm worried about them learning.

Plus, they're going to learn it (and use it) anyways

Too much of it though is just annoying... A gattling gun of **** is annoying

Ya rly, seems my countrymen (USians) in particular have this beef with sex and potty language but don't care about extreme violence. Word filters are a terrible idea because they're not good at distinguishing between foul language and other stuff, are only in demand by uptight christians, and don't make sense in the context of these games.

Some retard who used to run Mark's Servers for NS claimed that adults and mature people don't use profane language? EXCUSE ME? You should have heard the language coming from the dining room when my dad would play cards with his buddies in there. And my dad wasn't exactly what you would call an immature person. But whatever. It's something that makes me wonder why these admins never seem to have their priorities straight :confused:

M_C
2nd May 2006, 07:36
Ya rly, seems my countrymen (USians) in particular have this beef with sex and potty language but don't care about extreme violence. Word filters are a terrible idea because...
You can bitch about other admins or run your own server. :rolleyes:

majesticmerc
2nd May 2006, 09:14
In the end the easiest solution here is to take the blasphemy with a pinch of salt. It's not aimed at anyone in particular, it's taken from a film, and it's on an 18 rated game.

I mean there was swearing in Jurassic Park, and that was only a PG.

M_C
2nd May 2006, 09:24
In the end the easiest solution here is to take the blasphemy with a pinch of salt. It's not aimed at anyone in particular, it's taken from a film, and it's on an 18 rated game.

I mean there was swearing in Jurassic Park, and that was only a PG.
TBH, Unless the devs were planning to edit that taunt (I liked the static idea) in b4, I'm leaning toward relaxing the wordfilter (actually it was bigger) again. Kids dont read the rules and it's really not worth the hassle to police swearing, although there's no "need" to type swear words in a game either. It's not the place for most debates. It'd leave me more time to play and catch campers too. ;)

Lord Al
2nd May 2006, 09:40
It shouldnt be up to the servers people should be able to select whether they want to hear swearing or not just as they should be able to control the gore level as in other games.

majesticmerc
2nd May 2006, 09:44
When I had my 1.6 server (ah the good old days) I had a few clan mates who didn't like the cursewords, but eventually we came to the conclusions that warning is better than nothing, and that punishment is too harsh for something that all little kids like to do. So we just used to warn about the swearing with the occasional sacrificial lamb who would be kicked to prove we were [semi]serious, and everything stayed clean.

In a mod such as this, it can be frustrating, and lord knows who can hear me swearing when I get pigsticked for the zillionth time >.<.

Ideally the way I used to control swearing, was that if someone opposed to the language, action was taken, otherwise just leave them to their own devices.

I can see your dilemma though.

M_C
2nd May 2006, 09:55
It shouldnt be up to the servers people should be able to select whether they want to hear swearing or not just as they should be able to control the gore level as in other games.
There is absolutely nothing that shouldn't be up to the admins on the servers they run. If they want a server where everyone runs backwards, then that's the rules. Personally, I'd rather my server be empty than allow racist crap and certain other things and I'll shut it down before I'll have my rules dictated to me by somebody else.

That said, I'm not competely unreasonable either and I can't see having rules against swearing and allowing radio taunts now. It just seems hypocritical, to me, to say that you cant type or say it in your mic but you can push a button and play it in everyone's speakers. Besides, as you may have noticed, I tend to swear like a sailor, myself. I guess I could make the rule "swearing is ok, but swearing AT people is not" or something. Hell, maybe swearing over mic and taunts is better. If kids are playing with their speakers on, maybe their parents will take notice and actually parent a little. We could start a trend. ;)

majesticmerc
2nd May 2006, 10:14
Hell, maybe swearing over mic and taunts is better. If kids are playing with their speakers on, maybe their parents will take notice and actually parent a little. We could start a trend. ;)

lol Viva la revolucion!

Isolation
2nd May 2006, 10:42
I guess I could make the rule "swearing is ok, but swearing AT people is not" or something.

Seeing as I now play a helluva lot on your server, doing something like that seems resonable, seeing as how I usually wanna scream "F*CK!" after getting killed... and using my G rated words feels like I'm betraying my true self, but cussing at players starts to edge into "abuse", which is a no-no.

EmeralDragon
2nd May 2006, 13:50
I personally don't tightly police cursing on our server, unless it's severe or directed towards another player. A few sprinkles of profanity is perfectly fine, and I really enjoy it after I slashed few people in quick succession. Strokes the ol` ego a bit. ;)

I used to help run a BF1942 server (we played nothing but Omaha 24/7, with server side mods we'd rotate around, SO much fun, and constantly packed). We had a very strict no cursing rule. It was a pain to enforce it all the time, because after the first automated warning from the admin plugins, they would simply change it just enough to get around it. I probably spent HOURS of my time warning and kicking people for foul language, and then banning them for immediately rejoining and acting like a jackass for being kicked. Not exactly what I consider a fun time.

Merciless
2nd May 2006, 14:02
not being the one to break the news here.. but this game has an 18 certificate.

M_C
2nd May 2006, 18:23
Seeing as I now play a helluva lot on your server, doing something like that seems resonable, seeing as how I usually wanna scream "F*CK!" after getting killed... and using my G rated words feels like I'm betraying my true self, but cussing at players starts to edge into "abuse", which is a no-no.
Like I said, I'd rather keep it clean because of all the kids that play but it's eating too much of my time and, *now*, wordfiltering "****" seem like a hummingbird farting in a class5 hurricane, no effect. ;) If you dont filter "****" etc. then you're left with a much smaller list, logically. My only resistance is I don't think kids should talk like that. If there was a way to make sure all players are over 18 (year right) it'd be different. Funny and different. Could you imagine if all the <18 kids couldn't play anymore? Man, that'd be sweet.

Kitty_Loaf
2nd May 2006, 20:05

M_C, he was talking about the whole idea of them, not your server.

Stop thinking that everything is about you and your server

M_C
2nd May 2006, 21:06
After the recent influx of ignored trolls trolling, I've decided to turn off voice all together and leave the rules, as is. Except, now, I'm going to ban without warning and as I find the steamID's of retards on ignore, they'll be added too.

Hamel
2nd May 2006, 21:17

What a great rebuttal to my points :rolleyes:

They are free to be idiots and put these idiotic plugins on their servers. I don't deny that.

M_C
2nd May 2006, 21:23
I suggest players read the MOTD and follow the rules very carefully from now on. Blame the trolls...I'm not putting up with ANY crap on my server if mods wont do anything about the worthless pieces of crap trolling. They surely aren't going to regulate themselves. :rolleyes:

Merciless
2nd May 2006, 22:08
now, I'm going to ban without warning and as I find the steamID's of retards on ignore, they'll be added too.

wow, you sure do know how to market people to come in your server....

Kitty_Loaf
3rd May 2006, 01:13
wow, you sure do know how to market people to come in your server....

We've unleashed a monster! it's like godzilla!

GAH!!! GODZILLA!!!! (Out of sync lips) WHERE'S MOTHRA!!!

Hamel
3rd May 2006, 04:54
He's trying desperately to disguise his grandstanding and immaturity as some sort of tough-guy stance. Yes, we get it, you like to ban people.

Pan the Goat God
3rd May 2006, 05:03
I lose my internets for one day, and for some reason my troll's very important thread is derailed.

Who would've seen that coming?

Isolation
3rd May 2006, 05:11

If everyone hates M_C so much, why do you continue to post?

[Iso: Sigmund Freud mode]

I believe it's because you enjoy the conflict. The cursing. The flame wars. A symbiotic relationship exists between M_C and his "trollers" that, in all honesty, neither side can live without. One would use logic to deduct that, if one side truely hated the other, they would just ignore their nemesis. But, seeing as that is not so, one must use logic to come to the conclusion that... perhaps there is the aforementioned connection. Sexual perhaps? What was your relationships with your mothers like...

[/Iso: Sigmund Freud mode]

Woah. Started going places I did not want to think about there...

So... yeah. If you hate him so much. Ignore. Simple as that.

Pan the Goat God
3rd May 2006, 05:32
Thats not very apathetic of you, Iso.

Isolation
3rd May 2006, 06:45
Thats not very apathetic of you, Iso.

Pfft. Like I care?

;)

Besides, I believe my post was in an apathetic spirit, seeing as I'm basicly saying "feel nothing, just ignore".

Pan the Goat God
3rd May 2006, 06:55
Pfft. Like I care?

lol, much better.

chilly
3rd May 2006, 12:37
back to SWEARING...

Personally I take the same view as most people - dont give a **** about cursing on my servers and will only get pissed off about it if people start taking it too far or being a bit too politically incorrect even for my liking.

EmeralDragon
4th May 2006, 18:31
After the recent influx of ignored trolls trolling, I've decided to turn off voice all together and leave the rules, as is. Except, now, I'm going to ban without warning and as I find the steamID's of retards on ignore, they'll be added too.

Even though I haven't even visited your server once, I'd like to gladly offer my Steam ID to be submitted to your ban list. Too bad you have me on ignore. :p

Demented
4th May 2006, 21:02
Even though I haven't even visited your server once, I'd like to gladly offer my Steam ID to be submitted to your ban list. Too bad you have me on ignore. :p

The quote feature can fix that. :D
Course... it has to be quoted by someone who's not ignored... and you can always just jump on his server and sit in a corner, which, I'd imagine, is much easier.

Rymdkejsaren
4th May 2006, 22:28
I really don't care if someone says the f word if they get killed, as long as they don't use it to abuse the person that killed them. I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt, and then kick the ones that obviously have no manners at all.

Questionable.
5th May 2006, 02:59
Like the title of the thread says, some admins like to keep servers clean. While there's an age warning on b3 we still have number of children, as young as 12, here that play. (and often troll)

M_C This was quite an interesting thread, and a good topic to choose I guess, but it spirals out of control, and you always blame it on your "trolls", but before they even post in the thread you take potshots at them.... You call them immature, and pretend to act above their level, but you just keep talking on and on about them, on threads that don't even partain to who is trolling who or whatever.... I don't understand what is going on with you dude, just relax. If you really want the "trolling" to stop, then stop bringing it up yourself, in threads that dont involve it. If you stop doing it yourself, people will slowly stop doing it back to you. Even if some keep it up, at least the entire community will know that they actually are trolls, because you finnaly stopped egging them on. I don't know if you will read this or not, but it wasn't intended to be a swipe at you or a flame. Look at my quote of you above, and please realize that this obviously was the spark that started the blaze. It takes 2 people to fight, and both sides are obviously putting in their share. Thanks for the time, and if you dont reply to this, I will be pming it to you. ;)

P.S. This thread goes for both sides of people who cant seem to stop fighting this stupid battle... So I really don't care to hear what other people think negatively about M_C, because this post wasn't just for him... Maybe both sides can look at this and actually be sensible for a change...

M_C
5th May 2006, 03:00
I'm not here to be trolled by anyone.

Mods can close this thread, it's been decided.

Demented
5th May 2006, 04:24
Maybe both sides can look at this and actually be sensible for a change...
Oh, if that were possible, this'd have been over a looong time ago.
But before this thread gets closed... (And here's to many more! *ahem* It should've been closed by page one*, I reckon, if there's any reason to close it now.)

Was there EVER any comment about the "He is one ugly mother****er!" message in this thread? Somewhere?
At all?
Not that there needed to be. But still... I think it'd be fun to add even more such messages! Adds to the intensity and such. Can you imagine the IRIS screaming "He is one ugly... er... piece of... dirty slime." If you can... well, I just imagined it, so I won't go there. But it doesn't fit!

Edit: Okay, so maybe page 2. <_<
Edit2: I can't stop editing this thing! But I guess I'll let the rest of it stay... it exists, I can't deny it!
Edit#: 5th edit. At least!

M_C
5th May 2006, 05:46
(And here's to many more! *ahem* It should've been closed by page one*, I reckon, if there's any reason to close it now.)

Was there EVER any comment about the "He is one ugly mother****er!" message in this thread? Somewhere?
At all?

As you can see, I'm quite capable of asking for my threads to be locked at the appropriate time. Maybe if you worried more about your own threads and less about mine...

Thats what we were talking about for the first two or three pages, the taunt and it's effect on "clean server" rules. :eek:

Lock please?