PDA

View Full Version : Sorry to be a noob but..

Gothmog
1st May 2006, 15:20
I have downloaded the dedicated server package, but whenever I make a game it dosn't show up. It's stupid because me and my friends want to play in a locked server but I can never seem to make one. So my question is:

How do you make a server that shows up on the server list? :o

Night Raider
1st May 2006, 15:36
Make sure sv_lan is set to 0.

Gothmog
1st May 2006, 15:46
what is sv_lan? And how do I change it?

InsaneAction
1st May 2006, 15:54
In your server config file find sv_lan and put a 0 after it.

Gothmog
1st May 2006, 16:03
How do I open my server config file? What runs .VDF files?
Can someone just give me a "made for idiots" guide? Sorry to be a bother

Dead Inside
1st May 2006, 16:07
Under hidden/cfg there is the server.cfg file, open it with notepad/wordpad on windows or use vi or similar if you are on linux

If you downloaded the dedicated server installer then the sv_lan setting should be fine, i would look into firewall settings as explaned to another user in this (http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=4043) thread instead.

Edit: add the command "sv_password yourpass" into the server.cfg if you want the server locked. Obviously replace yourpass with whatever you want the actual password to be though! Also don't type in the quote marks.

If the server works but just doens't show up on the list, then go to www.whatismyip.com to get your public ip and have your friends connect to the server directly through console instead.

I think if you type:

"password yourpass" [press enter]
"connect ip: port"

then you can get into a passworded server from console, don't type the quotes into console though. Again clearly replace "yourpass" with the actual password and "ip: port" with the actual server ip and port its running on. And most importantly don't leave a space after the : and before the port number, i have to format it like this else the forum inserts a smiley!

Gothmog
1st May 2006, 16:12
Hmm in the server.cfg file i cannot find sv_lan, is that good or bad? Also thanks, I think the problem is just because i havea private IP, thanks guys ;)

Dead Inside
1st May 2006, 16:15
perhaps i'm wrong then, if its definately not there, then add it in, i just thought it was there by default.

Sir Wankus Magpie
1st May 2006, 16:47
if your using a router for your internet i would look into opening your ports!

i have to do that everytime i clean the cookies and temp internet files

GIGAR
1st May 2006, 16:58
Uhm...
Can't you just run a listen server?

Gothmog
1st May 2006, 17:18
Under hidden/cfg there is the server.cfg file, open it with notepad/wordpad on windows or use vi or similar if you are on linux

If you downloaded the dedicated server installer then the sv_lan setting should be fine, i would look into firewall settings as explaned to another user in this (http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=4043) thread instead.

Edit: add the command "sv_password yourpass" into the server.cfg if you want the server locked. Obviously replace yourpass with whatever you want the actual password to be though! Also don't type in the quote marks.

If the server works but just doens't show up on the list, then go to www.whatismyip.com to get your public ip and have your friends connect to the server directly through console instead.

I think if you type:

"password yourpass" [press enter]
"connect ip: port"

then you can get into a passworded server from console, don't type the quotes into console though. Again clearly replace "yourpass" with the actual password and "ip: port" with the actual server ip and port its running on. And most importantly don't leave a space after the : and before the port number, i have to format it like this else the forum inserts a smiley!

Ok I know what my public IP is, but how do i know what port it is running on?

Dead Inside
1st May 2006, 17:35
27015 is the default port, if you just type the ip address into console and don't put in a port number, it will assume it should connect to 27015 anyway.

Edit: you can specify port numbers yourself as well, have a look here (http://www.toxicstudios.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15) for a general windows dedicated server setup guide, section 4 in it is about specifying things like that in the launch options.