PDA

View Full Version : datacache.dll Error and Shutdown

MehMegahurtz
30th April 2006, 17:34
Hats off to the devs of this game, mucho awesome. The problem is that I can't play more than 15 minutes without this error shutting down Hidden Source:

http://img283.imageshack.us/img283/2671/dunworks5xm.jpg[/URL

P[U]C Specs:
Asus Motherboard / all proper bios updates
9800 XT Video Card / proper updated drivers installed
512 DDR 400 Ram / memory is perfect, always has been
Raptor 10,000 RPM Hardrive

I have never had a problem with my computer and HL:1 or HL:2 games/mods; every HL2 mod and game out there is currently (or has been) installed on my system runs flawlessly.

MehMegahurtz
30th April 2006, 19:07
Wow this forum sure is helpful, maybe I should of titled my thread: "I need helps with dis!1?"

PunchMRG
30th April 2006, 19:49
Or you could try using the search function as this problem has been posted in a number of threads here on the first page.

There's no fix atm, and I believe it is caused by someone forcing HL2 to run with DirectX7 that causes the game to crash.

M_C
30th April 2006, 20:07
Or you could try using the search function as this problem has been posted in a number of threads here on the first page.

There's no fix atm, and I believe it is caused by someone forcing HL2 to run with DirectX7 that causes the game to crash.
Nope, I run dx9 and I get it sometimes but there are multiple threads about the same thing and kids without any patience.

MehMegahurtz
30th April 2006, 21:30
Nope, I run dx9 and I get it sometimes but there are multiple threads about the same thing and kids without any patience.

If theres countless threads about it, with no real solution, I'd rather just post a new topic about it rather searching for hours on end for a solution that doesn't exist.

Sounding smart and pithy doesn't help a moronic point.

ThunderDan
30th April 2006, 22:01
Welcome to the forums. Just to let you know, people here are very pushy about reading stickies and using the search feature. I'm hoping the devs can figure out this bug real quick though.

BTW - next time this happens click the technical info option in the error as the screen shot there has no real data - thanks

PunchMRG
30th April 2006, 22:52

Yeah, the crash seems almost "infectious." I turned on DX7 to test it and promptly crashed when I killed the hidden. Returned to the server and nearly everyone else crashed and timed out as well.

Did the same thing on another server. Except this time I crashed and no one else did. Then I switched it back to DX9 and played around for a while before everyone in the server started crashing too.

All the same "datacache.dll" crash.

MehMegahurtz
30th April 2006, 23:35
Welcome to the forums. Just to let you know, people here are very pushy about reading stickies and using the search feature. I'm hoping the devs can figure out this bug real quick though.

BTW - next time this happens click the technical info option in the error as the screen shot there has no real data - thanks

Thanks for the welcome, its little surprise to witness pithy banter from wannabe forum elitists.

I actually had spent 10-15 minutes using the search function. Next time I get the error I'll post technical info.

PunchMRG
1st May 2006, 00:40
Thanks for the welcome, its little surprise to witness pithy banter from wannabe forum elitists.

Fear my elite skills of politely telling you to use common sense! :eek:

A search for "datacache.dll" brings up no less than 8 threads, excluding your own, addressing this problem

MehMegahurtz
1st May 2006, 04:34
Fear my elite skills of politely telling you to use common sense! :eek:

A search for "datacache.dll" brings up no less than 8 threads, excluding your own, addressing this problem

Yet no current solution in those threads so a reasonably intelligent person would it bring it up again. Read, understand and then post; it's that easy.

PunchMRG
1st May 2006, 08:40
Yet no current solution in those threads so a reasonably intelligent person would it bring it up again. Read, understand and then post; it's that easy.

So somehow you think that in making yet another thread about it, you would miraculously bring about a solution where there was none before?

I bow before your wit and wisdom!

MehMegahurtz
1st May 2006, 15:41
So somehow you think that in making yet another thread about it, you would miraculously bring about a solution where there was none before?

I bow before your wit and wisdom!

Try and understand this: After looking at those threads, I didn't find a solution. So naturally, I posted about it. You can stop anytime now.

Besides, this forum could use a couple more threads...

Payback
1st May 2006, 15:52
Try and understand this: After looking at those threads, I didn't find a solution. So naturally, I posted about it. You can stop anytime now.

Besides, this forum could use a couple more threads...

The general internet forum rule is; If there is already a thread about a topic, then bump the old thread. You can simply write "I also have this problem, has anyone found a solution yet?" It's much better and easier to have one thread with 50 replies than different 35 threads on one subject.

PunchMRG
1st May 2006, 16:30
I do wish there was a fix for this, it has become infinitely annoying to crash at seemingly random intervals.

Any eta on a potential patch?

Payback
1st May 2006, 16:35
I do wish there was a fix for this, it has become infinitely annoying to crash at seemingly random intervals.

Any eta on a potential patch?

Worse than random intervals is when I kill the Hidden and it crashes on respawn :(

MehMegahurtz
1st May 2006, 16:53
The general internet forum rule is; If there is already a thread about a topic, then bump the old thread. You can simply write "I also have this problem, has anyone found a solution yet?" It's much better and easier to have one thread with 50 replies than different 35 threads on one subject.

When every thread is titled "dis dun work on teh computer" or "help me peez!!1" I'd rather make my own. And considering that this forum is tiny it really shouldn't matter how many threads are made. If this was steampowered or facepunch, I see your point.

M_C
1st May 2006, 18:00
When every thread is titled "dis dun work on teh computer" or "help me peez!!1" I'd rather make my own. And considering that this forum is tiny it really shouldn't matter how many threads are made. If this was steampowered or facepunch, I see your point.
I see his point. I guess we could just ignore your thread until you see it too. :rolleyes:

MehMegahurtz
1st May 2006, 19:05
I see his point. I guess we could just ignore your thread until you see it too. :rolleyes:

Thank you for your useless contribution. Can everyone **** off now? We've all established that there's no fix for this tired old glitch.

M_C
1st May 2006, 19:13
Thank you for your useless contribution. Can everyone **** off now? We've all established that there's no fix for this tired old glitch.
Actually, it's a new one and the point was the people starting *yet another* thread about the same topic. You just don't like that Payback was right so you copped a tude. :rolleyes:

hutch
1st May 2006, 19:20
oh mc just stfu and leave every one alone

MehMegahurtz
1st May 2006, 20:26
Actually, it's a new one and the point was the people starting *yet another* thread about the same topic. You just don't like that Payback was right so you copped a tude. :rolleyes:

I never said Payback was wrong as his statements are 99.9% correct, in most cases. Are you done being butt hurt over a pedantic posting issue? I hope so, if all else fails try getting some sun light.

M_C
1st May 2006, 20:43
Are you still bitter because Payback spanked you for posting yet another of the same? ;)

PunchMRG
1st May 2006, 21:23
Haha, now this thread is going places!

Everything is better with internet bickering. :D

M_C
1st May 2006, 21:48
Haha, now this thread is going places!

Everything is better with internet bickering. :D
Just wait until my stalker trolls join in. :rolleyes:

Payback
1st May 2006, 21:58
oh mc just stfu and leave every one alone

Maybe everyone should shut up and leave M_C alone?

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??

http://www.crimelibrary.com/graphics/photos/gangsters_outlaws/cops_others/nick_bissell/3-1-Officers-beat-Rodney-Ki.jpg