PDA

View Full Version : Aura Bugs

Puzzlemaker
29th April 2006, 21:18
I have found a few bugs with the hiddens newfound ability. In discovery, as the hidden, you cant see through one of the giant metal crate things with your Aura. This also accurs with one of the train things at the train map place, whatever its called. I -Think- its because those are physics objects.

Another bug is sometimes the color doesn't match how much health they have. Correct me if I am wrong, but green = 3 slashes, orange = 2 slashes, red = 1 slash to kill, right? Because it doesn't always turn out that way...

One more problem is because of the... I dont know the technical term, but the sections in the map, you can be in one spot and see everyone. I was wondering if there was any easy way to fix that.

Boxy
29th April 2006, 23:36
The colour is based on helath, not slashes, so the number of slashes will not always tally up to a colour change. How much you see in Aura mode is governed by the PVS of the map, you can only see as much as the engine thinks you need to see of the map with regards to occulsion and performance.

Payback
30th April 2006, 00:24
I had a bug but I forgot to take a screenshot. The Aura wasn't working on all IRIS. I was in stalkyard and three IRIS walked by me. Only 1 showed up. All 3 were in plain visible site from well within Aura range (~15 ft from me). It was bugged like that the rest of teh round until I died. It was near the end of the map so I don't know if it was going to carry over.

TheMorris
30th April 2006, 06:59
I had a bug but I forgot to take a screenshot. The Aura wasn't working on all IRIS. I was in stalkyard and three IRIS walked by me. Only 1 showed up. All 3 were in plain visible site from well within Aura range (~15 ft from me). It was bugged like that the rest of teh round until I died. It was near the end of the map so I don't know if it was going to carry over.

Same thing happened with me on traindepot, and the model was Choi, if that helps at all.

CheZDa
30th April 2006, 13:58
Aren't there 2 shades of red, light and dark?

Would be nice to have a solid range for the aura instead of the PVS. Dystopia has the swt and tac implant that works regardless of what the engine is drawing, don't know how they've done it though.

senorironclad
30th April 2006, 13:59
The colour is based on helath, not slashes, so the number of slashes will not always tally up to a colour change. How much you see in Aura mode is governed by the PVS of the map, you can only see as much as the engine thinks you need to see of the map with regards to occulsion and performance.

Does this mean that better computers will be able to see farther with Aura?

Boxy
30th April 2006, 16:06
No, you will only be able to see as far as the engine will let you see from the point you are standing in a level and what you are looking at. Having a fast or slow machine has no bearing on it...

Ging
30th April 2006, 17:33
Dystopia has the swt and tac implant that works regardless of what the engine is drawing, don't know how they've done it though.

They use sound, rather than drawing sprites attached to the model.

Skifer
30th April 2006, 23:06
It's like this

Bright green = full health

Dark green = not too bad

orange = half way there

light red = low health

dark red = major low health

Lord Al
2nd May 2006, 17:36
The aura hardly worked on origin for me and sometimes it didnt pick up the odd person when they where close. It is so good tho for planning who your next target is nice job ^^

Oh and the ability dosnt work on my laptop which has a radeon 9200 in it :)

Payback
5th May 2006, 03:52
Same thing happened with me on traindepot, and the model was Choi, if that helps at all.
I just recorded a video of this, but it's too low resolution (recorded @ half resolution) to tell if it's Choi. :(

I'll have to keep an eye out.

Reiter
5th May 2006, 11:38
I had a possible solution that I'd like to hear feedback on from everyone, and see if it might solve this problem.

It is feasible to say that 617, in all his glory, is still limited in some ways. I would imagine that he can only see someones aura from a limited distance. Here is the kicker though... what if he could see where they have been recently because auras leave behind a residue where ever they travel?

In more of a technical aspect, you could force the source engine to draw all playermodels within a certain radius of the hidden, making it so that if the playermodels are detectable within that sphere radius, it'll show up in his vision. The aura would leave behind a color and would overlay and delete and pre-existing aura that was there. How this would be drawn or laid out on surfaces or in the air would be the problem. I'd imagine leaving it on the floor where there were footsteps or if someone brushes a wall (the aura touching the wall) would be where a haze is drawn on it representing the color of the aura at the time. Drawing it in the air would cause major fps drops I am sure, especially with lower-end graphics cards.

You'd be sacrificing one thing and gaining another all the while getting rid of the current problem. Comments?

[edit: Aura sprays would only stay for about 15 seconds before dissipating, to save the fps problems that could be generated by 9 players, and could only be visible if the hidden is looking at the wall or floor directly. i.e. He can't see aura stains through walls and such. /edit]

Lord Al
5th May 2006, 11:52
The spray time should increase when there are less and less players after all it isnt hard to find one of nine players to attack