PDA

View Full Version : Create Server Trouble

Deman
29th April 2006, 13:30
How come if i do Create Server and set sv_lan to 0 my friends can't see my server and if i give em the ip they can't join the server :S

chilly
29th April 2006, 13:38
What are IP are you giving them? If you are setting it up on your home computer then you need to find out the IP address of your ROUTER and forward whatever port you set your server to use to the computer that is running the server.

If all that is already done, you may be having problems with the server itself - try reinstalling everything?

Chilly

Dead Inside
29th April 2006, 13:42
If you are running a firewall (on your machine, built in to your router, or both) then you'll need to open/forward the correct ports to allow your server to be seen on the internet.

Also what IP are you giving people, is it 192.168.x.x? if so this is a private IP seen only to your computer and any other on the same LAN as it. This IP is not seen on the internet so your friends certainly won't be able to connect to it!

Go to www.whatismyip.com (http://www.whatismyip.com) to check your real public IP.

Your firewall/router will come with documentation to help you figure out how to open its ports/ a quick search on google would also likely produce plenty results.

Deman
29th April 2006, 16:00
aaah ok thx. but how i find out which ports im going to open

Dead Inside
29th April 2006, 16:19
Google again! however this link here (http://www.gameconfig.co.uk/showdetail.asp?id=29) will give you a general idea

You could possibly be slightly stricter in the ports that you open, but i don't think opening those would give you too many problems

Also i think UDP only is required (?)

the default port you run the server on is 27105, if you are running it from the same machine you intend to play on it may need to be 27016 (been awhile since i ran one like that though, probably back in HL1 days infact)

I think the range of UDP 27000-27050 would be fine, you may need to forward smaller blocks if your router can only forward so many at a time, i think some can only do 20 at a time.

You are going to have some already open to allow you to play on servers though so you may find that simply making the rule for that apply to a larger block, or adding one that covers the extra ports will be enough. Depends on your router/other firewall software and how its all currently set up i'm afraid.

Perhaps someone else has a more definate answer, failing that steampowered (http://www.steampowered.com) will have it somewhere!

M_C
29th April 2006, 17:14
Google again! however this link here (http://www.gameconfig.co.uk/showdetail.asp?id=29) will give you a general idea

You could possibly be slightly stricter in the ports that you open, but i don't think opening those would give you too many problems

Also i think UDP only is required (?)

the default port you run the server on is 27105, if you are running it from the same machine you intend to play on it may need to be 27016 (been awhile since i ran one like that though, probably back in HL1 days infact)

I think the range of UDP 27000-27050 would be fine, you may need to forward smaller blocks if your router can only forward so many at a time, i think some can only do 20 at a time.

You are going to have some already open to allow you to play on servers though so you may find that simply making the rule for that apply to a larger block, or adding one that covers the extra ports will be enough. Depends on your router/other firewall software and how its all currently set up i'm afraid.

Perhaps someone else has a more definate answer, failing that steampowered (http://www.steampowered.com) will have it somewhere!
27015-27020 is more than enough. ;)

zoing
7th May 2006, 19:40
before I start a new threat... did someone find an answer to the question?
we also tried to create a server, but none of us where able to connect. Yes, the IP address was no "internal" IP, we configured all the ports on 2 different routers one from linksys the other a netgear I believe. Neither me or my friend could connect to the created server, even when he typed the IP address in the add ip address field. hl2 deathmatch is working fine, but this little mod will not work. So maybe one of you have the answer or some tips?
sv_lan to 0 does not work, the server does not appear in the server list
open and forward all ports both tcp/udp 1200,2700-27015,27020-27039 does not does the trick for us. reset the linksys router was also not the solution. we played hl2dm instead. and our server we tried to setup was not a dedicated server.

Lord Al
8th May 2006, 10:50
I had a problem like this my friends couldnt see my server so I told them to add it by going "View, Servers, Favorites, Add a Server" and they managed to see it there weird eh O_O

zoing
8th May 2006, 12:07
thanks for the reply, but this way it is also not working. when we type in the ip address the server will not be listed, he is just not there.