PDA

View Full Version : Worst bug ever

StabbyVanKillerson
29th April 2006, 05:53
True, the new Beta 3 is THE best game ever, but there is 1 problem that i HATE and it happens sooo often. Lots of times that somebody kills the hidden, it laggs then minimizes the screen and brings up the error screen that says hl2 has ncountered a problem and needs to close. Idk if this is just me or everybody but pelase fix it if you can

M_C
29th April 2006, 06:08
If it's the datacache.dll crash, it's not just you.

Blueflame
29th April 2006, 06:47
i've gotten it a few times.

Hicks
29th April 2006, 14:42
that's exactly my problem aswell... :P

I hate it...

Chelban
29th April 2006, 14:53
Me too...

Skifer
29th April 2006, 14:57
Me too...
me three

Mr Charisma
29th April 2006, 14:58
So is there some kind of fix for this? It seems a lot of people are getting the same crash issue...

Skifer
29th April 2006, 15:05
Were hoping there will be a patch soon.

y0da
29th April 2006, 15:33
i'm getting the same crash,it happend when 3 people shot the hidden at the sime time. I guess the game couldn't figure out who realy killed him and crashes

hutch
29th April 2006, 20:26
samn prob here

TheMorris
29th April 2006, 20:42
Happened to me once, cept it froze me entire comp as well.

M_C
29th April 2006, 21:05
Porchy is checking some mdmp files, maybe he'll find out why. *shrug*

StabbyVanKillerson
30th April 2006, 03:23
well for me, its only when I kill the hidden if Im close to him but it HAS happened once when another guy killed him, not just many people shooting at him at the same time

StabbyVanKillerson
30th April 2006, 05:38
ok this isnt even funny, it used to be sometimes when I killed the hidden I would get the error, now its EVERY time I kill the hidden, even on my lan game, I sure hope this is the bug they are trying to fix the most becuase the only way I can be hidden is if it chooses randomly or at the start of every new map and its not cool at all. PLEASE try to fix this as much as you can!

Dark Soul
30th April 2006, 07:40
I'v yet to get one game crash in hidden-source,looks like im one of the lucky ones...

TheMorris
30th April 2006, 07:57
I just got about 4 of these in a row, and it about 1-2 seconds after a round starts or right as the hidden dies.

Element
30th April 2006, 10:57
Same Problem.

StabbyVanKillerson
30th April 2006, 16:44
Alright until they make a bug fix, I cant even play hidden as iris because it happens every time. Now Im just gonna have to play as the cameras until the map changes and hopefully I can be the first hidden on the new map (at least that works)

Pun
30th April 2006, 20:23
My friend had it 5 times last night... he was only playing for 45 minutes.

Boxy
30th April 2006, 21:17
Yeah just to nip this ever growing thread, I have tested the DX6/7 theory and you are all right. In DX6 and 7, killing the Hidden leads to a crash, very bizarre. G and Miasmic will have to look into this one.

Chelban
30th April 2006, 22:30
Always this file that is causing the error... And i am running dx9...

http://i3.tinypic.com/wul4c3.jpg

StabbyVanKillerson
1st May 2006, 00:16
Alright, I know it sucks but Ive figured out a way to sorta dodge this bug but you have to play at high latency servers or servers with lagg (not cool but it works) usually servers with 200 or more ping adn I havent gotten the error once (so far...) so go ahead and try it if you want everybody!

HiDDeN oF HeaVeN
1st May 2006, 01:46
Hi! Yep, you are not alone to have this bug. One time, i had to restart the game 5 times to play ! :eek:

Reiter
1st May 2006, 04:26
There is another thread that was started up that seems to have the same issue. I'd strongly urge to check out the two posts there. I'd like to start listing hardware specs because sometimes that is the problem. It's the thread listed as "I can't play for more than 5 minutes"

neveroutgunned
1st May 2006, 08:03
I crash to desktop EVERY time i kill the hidden....no error message either

amd 3000+ 64bit
asrock 939 dual sata mobo
nvidia g-force 4 mx420 gfx card.... yea i know :(
2x 512 gig samsung ram

it seems to be just before the hidden becomes visible, or right after he is visible when dead, that i crash....

M_C
1st May 2006, 08:29
I crash to desktop EVERY time i kill the hidden....no error message either

Check the event log it's most likely the datacache.dll crash. You need to upgrade your card, it's what causes the crashes becauseit's sub-dx8. Get a cheap dx9 card.

Isolation
1st May 2006, 08:48
The few times I crash, it's usually when I press esc after something happens... probably totally unrelated seeing as it happened to me in B2.

taylor
1st May 2006, 10:42
I get it to,but its kinda random,somtimes I get it when I try to connect to the server,sometimes when the map changes and sometimes in game.
gets annoying

StabbyVanKillerson
1st May 2006, 23:42
Alright ya I think it has to do with the 64 video cards more often then other better versions (for all you lucky rich people who have them :( ) but if you often get this error, I have found out that it happens when you are MOVING and killing the hidden. SO, I tried it out and once again Iw as right, Ive stood still twice, once w/ smg and once w/ shotgun killing the hidden, and no error. Ya, you might get boomied by pipe bombs, but its the only real way that works.

hutch
1st May 2006, 23:55
Alright ya I think it has to do with the 64 video cards more often then other better versions (for all you lucky rich people who have them :( ) but if you often get this error, I have found out that it happens when you are MOVING and killing the hidden. SO, I tried it out and once again Iw as right, Ive stood still twice, once w/ smg and once w/ shotgun killing the hidden, and no error. Ya, you might get boomied by pipe bombs, but its the only real way that works.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814145067
try getting that, its cheap as hell but you wont crash everyone

StabbyVanKillerson
2nd May 2006, 03:42
Ya well I like my hidden, he is a white outline and now in beta3 I can actually see him most places he goes compared to beta2 but Ill eventually end up getting a new video card anyway but I dont want my hidden to be wavy :(!!!

twiztid
2nd May 2006, 05:49
i get the same crash, heres a screenshot of the error i get.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/twiztid69/hidden_error.jpg

and according to my error logs, its datacache.dll thats having the faults...any ideas out there?

EDIT:
here are my specs
xp2800+
1gig pc3200 kingston
asus a7n8xe deluxe
geforce 6600 agp
xp pro

-SM-SUCKER
2nd May 2006, 10:52
Ya well I like my hidden, he is a white outline and now in beta3 I can actually see him most places he goes compared to beta2 but Ill eventually end up getting a new video card anyway but I dont want my hidden to be wavy :(!!!

If someone reads this he might think about banning you... in case i do understand it right that your hidden is clrearly visible and NOT like hot air. Might fix that

Lord Al
2nd May 2006, 12:42
I get kicked alot now too :(

M_C
2nd May 2006, 19:04
If someone reads this he might think about banning you... in case i do understand it right that your hidden is clrearly visible and NOT like hot air. Might fix that
You're right, we report people and ban for that. He knows it's not supposed to have a white outline and he wont fix it because he wants to cheat. Good catch.

StabbyVanKillerson
3rd May 2006, 23:43
Ok well I SERIOUSLY didnt know it was cheating but im graduating on may 26th and I think my parents are getting me a new video card as a present, so I sure hope that nobody bans me

detached
4th May 2006, 00:30
Even worse, sometimes when it's happened to me, i've also seen the server crash. When I goto radmin, it has an Runtime error, and closes the server.

neveroutgunned
4th May 2006, 08:31
well so i stole the gforce fx5200 out of my parents computer :) and it seems to work fine now....i killed the hidden...and it didnt kick me to desktop....

if it starts crashing again i'll post..but so far looks like it was the old p.o.s. gfx card

StabbyVanKillerson
5th May 2006, 01:48
Ya so everyone agrees that it is the model of the video card that causes the game to crash? yes no maybe or tell me why

Reiter
7th May 2006, 12:02
I have come across a potential problem that causes crashes (at least on my end) and I want to have the input of other people.

I have noticed with kills it isn't how close the kill is, but how much blood is drawn sprite-wise. I find it a very distinct possibility that this is causing a lot of the crashes with me and it may be the same for other people as well.

Something to try out if you can get a server and its players to cooperate with you:

Bring the hidden out

Kill the hidden with minimal blood, one person only. For example, shoot the hidden with a pistol until it is dead, and wait for the blood to go away with each shot. Does this crash you?

Now, try shooting the hidden at point blank with a shotgun and see what happens.

I can't find anyone to do this with me yet, but I am certainly going to try. I am asking others to do the same in case they find results quicker than I.

EDIT: Well, I got someone to try it with me, but found it isn't the case. However I found that when no blood is drawn, I don't crash. I was on highrise and did a turnaround shotty kill in the pool, no blood was drawn and I didn't crash. Anyone else getting the same thing? This isn't the first time this event occurred.

Zephyr
7th May 2006, 19:57
I've had problems with this crash-upon kill bug myself. However i have noticed some things which seem to alleviate this problem, for me anyway. so ill try and tell you some tips and see if it helps. If these have already been said then please forgive me, and if they sound stupid then ignore me, your choice.

A]server
1) When picking a server chose one with a relatively high latency around 150-250 usually helps.
2)Pick a server from the steam window rather then the in-game server search.
3)Don't pick one with 7/9 or higher amount of people playing 5 or 6/9 is usually a good choice.

B]In-game
1)Pick your person and weapons quickly.
2)Make sure you don't all cobble together the crash is more frequent with a higher frequency of people.
3)Try and not shoot at him at the same time with so many others (stupid i know) this usually leads to an automatic freeze and crash.
4)If you are playing and it says final round then do what i do sometimes. Leave the server. rude and annoying i know but it appears to work for me.
5)If you Dont want to leave then do 2 and try and split up in small groups or go it alone.
6)If the game freezes up count to 5 and it if hasen't gone to your desktop, crashed, or resumed then press the windows button ctrl+alt+del and close it down.

C]Misc
1)Try and not spectate mid game just get in and play.
2)This may or may not be true: Avoid add-on's or plug in's no telling what might happen.
3)Go for maps which are big allowing greater distance between you and your teammates

Well I Hope this helps somewhat, if it does then play,play,play if it doesn't then i'm sorry it didn't help.

and in case anyone wants to know my specs here they are:
COMPAQ presario 5000 series
256MB SyncDram Total System Memory
AMD Athlon XP Processor Model 1700
40GB Hard Drive
nVidia NV11 MX200 TV out Graphics card
Microsoft Windows XP

I hope to see you in the corridors scared as hell, run little pigs, run

leonskey
7th May 2006, 23:22
I have come across a potential problem that causes crashes (at least on my end) and I want to have the input of other people.

I have noticed with kills it isn't how close the kill is, but how much blood is drawn sprite-wise. I find it a very distinct possibility that this is causing a lot of the crashes with me and it may be the same for other people as well.

Something to try out if you can get a server and its players to cooperate with you:

Bring the hidden out

Kill the hidden with minimal blood, one person only. For example, shoot the hidden with a pistol until it is dead, and wait for the blood to go away with each shot. Does this crash you?

Now, try shooting the hidden at point blank with a shotgun and see what happens.

I can't find anyone to do this with me yet, but I am certainly going to try. I am asking others to do the same in case they find results quicker than I.

EDIT: Well, I got someone to try it with me, but found it isn't the case. However I found that when no blood is drawn, I don't crash. I was on highrise and did a turnaround shotty kill in the pool, no blood was drawn and I didn't crash. Anyone else getting the same thing? This isn't the first time this event occurred.
so, is there a way we can disable the blood appearance like that,so we dont crash?

Reiter
7th May 2006, 23:29
Keep in mind it is a theory, but it sounds possible based on what I have experienced. No guarantees, and I am looking through stuff to find out if I can disable it. If I can, I'll post it here.

leonskey
7th May 2006, 23:47
Keep in mind it is a theory, but it sounds possible based on what I have experienced. No guarantees, and I am looking through stuff to find out if I can disable it. If I can, I'll post it here.
i found a console code after some looking around, but not sure if its the right one, but just to let you guys know, the code i found was cl_show_bloodsprays(1-0)
let you know after i test it.

leonskey
8th May 2006, 00:42
sorry for doublepost, yeah it took the blood away, but only delayed chanses of crashing by a few secconds, what works alittle better than it, i found, rather than playing in fullscreen, try running game in a window, i notice i crash less in windo, but (anyone) killing the hidden from far away crashes game, but i got to play about 10 mins before my game crashed.

StabbyVanKillerson
8th May 2006, 02:30
Ok it DEFINITELY has to do with moving and shooting the hidden at the same time bucz EVERY time im still and kill him its fine and EVERY time im moving and kill it it crashes,(ya I know people hate it) but you usually have to camp with shotgun or sumthing!

M_C
8th May 2006, 02:37
You NEVER *have* to camp. :p

Reiter
8th May 2006, 04:34
Well, turning that off and the splash for some reason avoids me the kill crash, but now my computer is finding other reasons to crash. For example, my last one the hidden was simply in front of an IRIS member. Didn't even see him. Someone else shoots from outside and I crash.

Ugh. I fear there is no winning for me at the moment.

ThunderDan
8th May 2006, 05:07
Can anyone who's crashing load the game, create a server, type sv_cheats 1, then bot_add. Now get the bot to be the hidden - if you spawned hidden simply type kill in console. Now - find the bot and kill it. (If you are having trouble finding it type 'mat_wireframe 1' in console) Did you crash? If you did crash load the game again and type 'mat_dxlevel' in console. What dxlevel is it set to?

My theory is that if you crash at this point your dxlevel is 70.

That's all I got at this point, but I'd be interested to know.

Reiter
8th May 2006, 05:18
I know that is part of the problem, but I got around the crash when I kill the hidden. It's just a start. I am getting either a fx6600 or a radeon 9800 soon to fix many problems that I have.

ThunderDan
8th May 2006, 07:21
I think I am retarded, but...
I copied these files from hidden\materials\models\executive to hidden\materials\models\manor and I can't force a crash anymore.

hr_model_teaurn_earlgrey_dudv.vtf
hr_model_teaurn_earlgrey_dx7.vmt
hr_model_teaurn_earlgrey.vmt
hr_model_teaurn_earlgrey.vtf

So - can anyone out there confirm this?

Reiter
8th May 2006, 07:48
Gonna try it.

EDIT: You are my saviour. New runtime of 2 hours 11 minutes before crashing, and that was in overrun mode. Anyone else running dx7 compliant hardware needs to do the same. I copied those files into every other folder in that treelevel that didn't have more folders in it.

Very nicely done!

leonskey
8th May 2006, 23:38
Gonna try it.

EDIT: You are my saviour. New runtime of 2 hours 11 minutes before crashing, and that was in overrun mode. Anyone else running dx7 compliant hardware needs to do the same. I copied those files into every other folder in that treelevel that didn't have more folders in it.

Very nicely done!
sounds good, im going to try it aswell

daedalous
9th May 2006, 07:56
I copied these files from hidden\materials\models\executive to hidden\materials\models\manor and I can't force a crash anymore.

hr_model_teurn_earlgrey_dudv.vtf
hr_model_teurn_earlgrey_dx7.vmt
hr_model_teurn_earlgrey.vmt
hr_model_teurn_earlgrey.vtf

you sir, are a hero
http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?p=64340#post64340

Ging
9th May 2006, 10:13
Considering I don't think those materials are even used anymore, I'm really confused as to how that's working...

ThunderDan
10th May 2006, 01:20
I loaded up -dxlevel 70 and when it loads any level it calls for those files - which it then reports missing in console. Oddly, I went back to B2a and those files are in the same location as the B3 release puts them, but the crash does not occur and the console doesn't report them missing.

Pickle
13th May 2006, 23:29

hr_model_teurn_earlgrey_dudv.vtf
hr_model_teurn_earlgrey_dx7.vmt
hr_model_teurn_earlgrey.vmt
hr_model_teurn_earlgrey.vtf

I have a question were do u find the files so you copy them? Im new to Hidden.

Demented
13th May 2006, 23:36
"I copied these files from hidden\materials\models\executive to hidden\materials\models\manor and I can't force a crash anymore."

Gee, where'd that come from? (O.o)

And I can only see teaurn, not teurn. What IS a teurn?

ThunderDan
14th May 2006, 02:04
My bad, I edited the post to include the 'a'.

I'm guessing that there used to be an urn of earl gray tea that would show after you killed the hidden or something. I don't know...

http://www.romancing-the-tea.com/Earl%20grey.jpg