PDA

View Full Version : Poor FPS

Special Ed
26th April 2006, 01:06
I just got a new geforce 6800 512mb, I usualy get about 8fps on the 'recommended settings'

And before i had a Radeon 9600, got about 50 fps on recommended settings.

My drivers are up to date, my old drivers are removed properly, no its not the servers fault, yes I even tried turning all the settings down and the fps to the min and that showed VERY little improvment (maybe one or two fps improvment)

I noticed however on the hidden training session, that if i am in the elevator shaft my FPS is just fine, got around 130ish when in the elevator. But when inside it went to crap.

I also tried cl_hvision 0

Any ideas?

Oh yea, on other HL2 games its just fine, all settings at 'recommended' level I get about 130+ FPS

M_C
26th April 2006, 01:25
Have you tried the suggestions here:

http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=3560&page=1

Stickies are your friend...

EDIT: If that doesn't help, I'd try re-downloading and re-installing the full b2a hidden client since your other games aren't affected and the tweaks don't help.

Sir Wankus Magpie
26th April 2006, 16:45
check cooling then check benchmarks ie 3dmark 03

your card should get in the 9000 to 11000 range if its close to that it should be an issue of your card maybe its the game its self

EDIT: i purchased an X850XT PE after owning a ati 9800 pro and i got aweful performance untill i corrected my smartgaurt in the video settings and my performance jumped over 3X what it was doing literally....then later on down the road put new cooling in the box and my cpu and video card performance jumped WAY over the fence. i was under the impression that cooling only helped a tad...in this case my frames jumped 40fps :eek:

so thats why we check cooling and benchmarks and card temps

Humor
26th April 2006, 17:52
What do you mean with "smartgaurt in the video settings" exactly Sir Wankus?

I have an X850XT PE as well so....

Payback
26th April 2006, 19:01
What do you mean with "smartgaurt in the video settings" exactly Sir Wankus?

I have an X850XT PE as well so....

It's "SMARTGART" under Display Properties > settings > advanced

It lets you control the AGP speed of the video card. The default can sometimes be disabled or not at the full speed. When I forgot to install my AGP driver, mine was disabled and my FPS was horrible.

Also, cooling doesn't help your FPS at all. The only scenario where cooling would increase your performance is if you had your system rigged to turn down system performance based on heat.

Humor
26th April 2006, 22:14
Txs Payback,
I will have a look and toggle with that. :D

EmeralDragon
27th April 2006, 01:41
It's "SMARTGART" under Display Properties > settings > advanced

It lets you control the AGP speed of the video card. The default can sometimes be disabled or not at the full speed. When I forgot to install my AGP driver, mine was disabled and my FPS was horrible.

Also, cooling doesn't help your FPS at all. The only scenario where cooling would increase your performance is if you had your system rigged to turn down system performance based on heat.

I had the same issue with a 850XT when I switched from a 9600XT. I could not for the life of me get it to register as Enabled for the AGP. Tried everything I could think of and everything others suggested. Ended up ditching it and picking up a 6800GT OC and selling the 850. Few more bucks in my pocket, and my computer seems much more friendly with the 6800. :p

Might have been a bad card, but I did everything short of a reformat to try and clear it up. :confused:

Sir Wankus Magpie
27th April 2006, 01:42
in my case it did but it had more to do with my CPU and not the video card

when a video card over heats you see artifacs like we all know but when a CPU is over heating it basicaly is a mix of artifacs and slow fps....don't tell me thats impossible im not stupid and i know what i saw

EmeralDragon
27th April 2006, 02:07
in my case it did but it had more to do with my CPU and not the video card

when a video card over heats you see artifacs like we all know but when a CPU is over heating it basicaly is a mix of artifacs and slow fps....don't tell me thats impossible im not stupid and i know what i saw

Well it wasn't cooling. Only way to get my system any colder would be a bloxk of dryice sitting in the case. :cool:

Sir Wankus Magpie
27th April 2006, 03:29
Well it wasn't cooling. Only way to get my system any colder would be a bloxk of dryice sitting in the case. :cool:

im more than positive that you had a drivers issue...those cards arent mal performers