PDA

View Full Version : motd.txt causing intial screen to hang.

ThunderDan
21st April 2006, 12:23
This is an issue I'm having with my server.
Everytime I try to use the default motd or anything with html in it the start screen will freeze and you have to click a million times on ok to enter the screen, and the motd won't render properly either.

I've tried reloading the server, and that did not help. I've also tried swapping motd.txt from hl2dm, dod, css and none of these helped.

This is running on a linux server.

MOTD (http://www.thunderinnovations.com/hlds/motd_test.htm) <-this is a copy of said motd.txt - extension changed so it will load properly in browser.

edit:
actually there are two separate things that can occur.
1) is the hang (this is a clientside hang and does not affect others on the server apparently)
2) No welcome creen appears just an ok button with the servername floating up above - ok button and name are in their expected places.

M_C
25th April 2006, 03:50
Dan:

I've been thinking about your problem and I loaded your MOTD, and other variations, on my win32 server and I noticed a considerable lag while proccessing the MOTD. I could do further testing but I believe the problem is either the way the source engine (or the hidden) processes the html tags in the MOTD. I'm betting it's the SDK.

Try stripping all of your tables and font increases and see if it stops the crash.

ThunderDan
25th April 2006, 05:50
Mine will actually hang on the original Hidden motd. I've tried removing all, except the div's as I need them for the layout. I've also tried a div-less and I have the same problem. The only one's that I can get to work with no problem is plain text, no html.

The current one is actually not causing any freezing and just doesn't show anything. I'm using a redirect that was recommend in the steampowered forums, but obviously still hasn't solved my problem.

M_C
25th April 2006, 06:15
I don't why I kept thinking it was crashing your server...good meds. *shrug* ;)

Mine would hang too but eventually I could get though. The less html the smoother it seems, to me, but I don't know if that's the SDK (my guess) or the hidden so, maybe, when Ging checks this out he can clue us in. I wonder if other source mods do that with heavy a html'd motd?

Ging
25th April 2006, 12:32
There's a major memory leak with how valve render out the html - I think they're working on fixing it, but yes, you're right, if you leave the motd up for long enough it will crash out with a memory error.