PDA

View Full Version : Is there a counter to the visible hidden exploit?

Sankis
18th April 2006, 01:55
Hello, I'm new to the mod and these forums. My apologies if this has been covered but I didn't spot it in a search or a quick scan of the other threads.

Here's the deal, though. A group of friends and I on another forum recently put up a The Hidden server after finding the mod and enjoying it. However, some jerk who also frequents the forum decided it would be a good idea to spread around some kind of tweak that allows you to see the hidden easily. Has something to do with Shaders, I believe. I think it's called BSH here?

Anyway. I was wondering if there is any counter to this problem. We really enjoy the mod but unfortunately it seems we can't trust the people in the server now due to it. Is there any sort of admin plugin that will constantly monitor other player's and the status of that specific command? Anything at all?

Anyway, thanks ahead of time for the help.

Rascal999
18th April 2006, 02:10
Depends what settings he grassed up to modify. Console commands or graphic card settings?

Demented
18th April 2006, 02:13
Even if it's a console setting, there's no automatic method of detecting it, at least not any that have been mentioned on this forum.

Right now it's just a matter of finding a suspected cheater, catching a demo, and reviewing it to see if he's really a cheater or just an experienced player.

Rascal999
18th April 2006, 02:19
Even if it's a console setting, there's no automatic method of detecting it, at least not any that have been mentioned on this forum.
Absolutely right, however I think it is possible to add/remove/modify console commands for HL2 mods. Ging?

Sankis
18th April 2006, 02:29
Apparently it was a console command that makes the hidden completely or atleast mostly visible (the person who I spoke to did not elaborate on it).

I don't have the command on hand, and obviously would not want to post it if I did know it. Is this a known exploit? Is there going to be a fix in the next release?

Also, I don't play Hl2 much but I did play HL1 a bunch back in the day. Are things like Admin mod around for HL2? I know there was a thing with admin mod where you could force people to input console commands. I figure if there is anything that can do that in HL2, the admin could have it constantly (every 3 seconds or so?) put in the command to make the Hidden as he should be.

Payback
18th April 2006, 02:35
Is it possible he was simply referring to turning Shader Detail to High? That's an in-game graphic setting that makes the Hidden "the most visible", but legally so.

I'm not saying there aren't exploits, because I'm sure there are, but the way you said he mentioned shaders it's possible.

Rascal999
18th April 2006, 02:38
Apparently it was a console command that makes the hidden completely or atleast mostly visible (the person who I spoke to did not elaborate on it).

I don't have the command on hand, and obviously would not want to post it if I did know it. Is this a known exploit? Is there going to be a fix in the next release?
Yes and yes

Ging
18th April 2006, 08:36
We've fixed a couple of exploits regarding console settings in the next update.