PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ windows install on 64 amd

Cyborg
12th April 2006, 05:36
yo. just got a 64 bit amd setup. radeon x1600 1 gig ram ddr 3200

when i attempt to install windows (either home or professional. No service packs) i get a blue screen error at the beginning of the install

pci.sys at 0.0000000007e or something like that

my power source is 350 max, where it should be 400, would that cause it?

could it be lack of service pack updates?

could it be a crappy format on my hard drive?

could it be faulty hardware?

help!! i want to get this working!

Payback
12th April 2006, 05:59
If your power supply was too weak, it would manifest in ways other than a blue screen at the end of installation. For example, your system wouldn't power on.

After a quick google, I found this page http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic16553.html which tells me that your problem is your PCI-Express video card being incompatible with the original XP. You'll need to install Windows XP SP 2 to get it to work. One way to make your regular Windows XP into a SP2 install is to make a slipstream CD.

Official MS link to the problem http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330182

If you don't know how to make a slipstreamed XP SP2 cd, here's one guide http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

or you can google for more.

Cyborg
12th April 2006, 06:22
yes i thought it may have been the video card, so i tried my old agp radeon 9200 in the agp express slot. the same error popped up. maybe it will do that with all video cards (or all "espress" bus') so the sp2 solution may be best. thanks. any more suggestiuons?

:edit:

after reading your links, i have found this problem to be EXACtLY what i was looking for. thank you VERY much. i will be be creating the cd and trying the install again tomorrow morning. its 11:30 now and i an tired and frustrated. thanks again!

hutch
12th April 2006, 10:00
sounds like a killer system in the making ;)

Payback
12th April 2006, 10:01
A slipstreamed installation is best regardless, because it incorporates all the patches from the service packs and allows stuff like the PCI-Express video card and drivers larger than 137gb to be natively supported.

Gusdor
12th April 2006, 10:20
im runing on a clean install of the original XP and i have PCI-e stuff

hutch
12th April 2006, 10:30
how big of a diffrence is there between windows xp pro and windows xp x64

Payback
12th April 2006, 10:40
IMO, no real good reason to use the 64bit Windows unless you do massive number crunching stuff or you have 4gb or more of RAM, and you want to deal with getting all the proper drivers and such. I've heard the drivers thing is less of an issue now, but still you need to make sure you're downloading the right stuff.

Cyborg
12th April 2006, 17:02
ok we are making the slipsteamed sp2 cd, but i hait a problem. it says to extract

"microsoft corporation.img" thats what will make the cd a bootable cd. only problem is, we cant find it. do i make it myself? where do i locate it in an iso program?

Cyborg
12th April 2006, 17:39
ok, got it to work. thanks everyone for the help!

now, have an older hard drive (old ide style cables, brappy buffering, crappy search times, etc)

would it be beneficial and noticalby enhance the proformance if i got a new hard drive?

majesticmerc
12th April 2006, 19:01
ok, got it to work. thanks everyone for the help!

now, have an older hard drive (old ide style cables, brappy buffering, crappy search times, etc)

would it be beneficial and noticalby enhance the proformance if i got a new hard drive?

Yes, but most of the essential files (I assume) are loaded into RAM when you launch the game. Buying a new Hard disk would shorten load times, but if you're prepared to wait a few seconds longer, it won't make a drastic difference.

p.s. What's all this about a slipstream CD??? I just downloaded and installed SP2 from the MS website :confused:

Cyborg
12th April 2006, 19:13
it was a clean install onto a raw hard drive. the only way to get sp2 was to slipstream it onto a bootable windows xp pro installer.

already got a new hdd and a new cd drive (old one was way crappy too)

Payback
12th April 2006, 21:53
If the HD is an 8mb cache & 7200rpm, then you probably won't notice too much of a difference by upgrading.

Cyborg
13th April 2006, 03:47
no the old one was crappier. way back in the days when windows 98 ruled.

neways. windows works great. internet works dandy (i think) and everything is b-e-a-utiful, except for stinkin steam. it is slow, updated at about 2kbps before i tried to reinstall, and now cant even connect to the steam server. is it under matinance? i even tried running my computer through the network dmz, to no avail. arrgh, please help, i just want to play hidden with a video setting higher than 640x480 for once!

majesticmerc
13th April 2006, 16:08
May be of use, may not be, but I'll say it anyway.

I find steam updates go quicker if you double click the game, then you'll get a box telling you that you can play when updates complete, and a time remaining.

I find that speeds things up significantly.

Cyborg
13th April 2006, 16:21
ok i got steam working again (my firewall was the problem i think) and it is updating around 15-20kbps. peaks at about 40, lows of <3. problem, or normal for some computers? (i have cable internet)

Payback
13th April 2006, 16:40
That's about normal for me sometimes. Do like the other guy said and try to play teh biggest game so that it loads up the download status. That does seem to speed it up somewhat, probably kicks you up in some internal priority setting.

Cyborg
13th April 2006, 18:54
k thanks for all the help!

hopefully it will be done when i get home in about 6 hours, then its time to play some hidden; if i dont have other places i need to be, of course.