PDA

View Full Version : New ZPG server up, have a few ?'s

EmeralDragon
9th April 2006, 07:51
Hey guys, finally got our ZPG Hidden server up and running (ZPG - Don't Touch My Mustard), but we are completely new to running a dedicated HL2 server.

Few questions:

1. How do we enable VAC(2)? I've found something about -vacbeta -sv_secure 1 in the command line, but that doesn't seem to do the trick.

2. How do I enable it so people can download custom maps off our server? I have the sv_allowload set to 1, but it still doesn't allow it.

3. .... Well, I had more, but I'm exhuasted. I'll post some more tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for the help.

slayer27
9th April 2006, 09:07
Hey can you add this map to ur server? this is my first Hidden release and i would be proud if u added it. http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=3711

M_C
9th April 2006, 19:04
1) Read this:
http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=3597&page=1

2) Try sv_allowdownload 1 ? ;)

3) You're on your own there. :D

EmeralDragon
9th April 2006, 23:01
Thanks M_C. I 've tried the sv_allowdownload 1. It isn't working.

And I've read up on that thread you linked to. I guess we are fairly screwed then until someone comes up with an older windows build. I swear I searched for nearly an hour for the answer to the VAC all over the web, lol. I would love to have that enabled, as I've already seen a few highly questionable players (someone as the hidden moving around absurdly quick, much faster than I believe pouncing can do; and a certain player that was able to seemly shoot every shot of his pistol within .2 seconds. It seemed to operate like a shotgun pistol, but I wasn't sure if maybe he has exceptionally quick index finger, or using an exploit).

slayer27: IMHO, it's not my kind of map. I love variety, and lots of places to leap from/to/off of as the hidden. While I congratulate you on your map release, I don't think we will be including it at this time. My apologies, and I look forward to your future releases.

Cyborg
9th April 2006, 23:06
the machine pistol is a known exploit that has been fixed in beta3.

pouncing is an amazing feat. do not underestimate what a good player can do with it.

M_C
9th April 2006, 23:12
Yeah, I've had no volunteers in the VAC thread so it looks like we're screwed until there's an update. The ultra-fast players are cheating, most call it speedhacking or speedcheating. It's very easy to get a demo of them and report but only report cheaters if you have proof, as per the sticky. There is a pistol script deal that rapidfires like that, some servers ban for it, I would. you can also fire pretty fast manually so be careful. ;)

EmeralDragon
10th April 2006, 01:22
Yeah, I've had no volunteers in the VAC thread so it looks like we're screwed until there's an update. The ultra-fast players are cheating, most call it speedhacking or speedcheating. It's very easy to get a demo of them and report but only report cheaters if you have proof, as per the sticky. There is a pistol script deal that rapidfires like that, some servers ban for it, I would. you can also fire pretty fast manually so be careful. ;)

Well I know you can fire quickly with the pistol, but this was absurdly quick. Like instant kill within .1 second of looking at me" quick. Happened several times.

Then when I saw him pouncing around as a hidden, he was *amazingly* fast. I'm no n00b (been around since before B1 actually), but I'm certainly not a highly skilled player. I thought maybe he could be just really good with pounce, but it seemed really fishy.

Thanks for the head-up.

M_C
10th April 2006, 02:23
If you're not sure get a demo and PM some admins. ;)

MiasmicAnomie
10th April 2006, 05:39
Then when I saw him pouncing around as a hidden, he was *amazingly* fast. I'm no n00b (been around since before B1 actually), but I'm certainly not a highly skilled player. I thought maybe he could be just really good with pounce, but it seemed really fishy.

Thanks for the head-up.

Grab a demo, watch it with mat_wireframe 1

Speedhackers are glaringly obvious. There's lift when you pounce (marginal lift if they're doing a straight forward pounce for the speed boost, but the model doesn't do the 'running' animation), and you can only get 4-5 consecutive pounces off before you run out of stamina. (although you can hit jump as the pounce lands and get more distance out of your inertia)

Demo a good hidden, and you'll see him move blazing fast when he's anywhere near/in view of IRIS (sometimes with little run bits in between pounces) but you'll see the model start walking when he's out of view of IRIS and needs more stamina.

Demo a speedhacker, you'll see a model screaming around the map like the blazes no matter what, and you'll almost never see a pounce.

ThunderDan
11th April 2006, 02:26
If you are going to use custom maps I highly recommend using httpdownloads with bzip2, much faster downloads.