PDA

View Full Version : Linux Dedicated Server, Problems with VAC

F2O
29th March 2006, 21:37
Hello hidden community,
I am running a dedicated server and I am having trouble getting VAC (Valve Anti-Cheat) to work.

First off, please do not post that there is a cvar (command) to enable it, sv_secure does not exist, I have seen that posted more than once on these forums.

Second, adding -secure to my command line has no effect.

In the console when the server is starting it says Connection to Steam servers successful. VAC Secure mode disabled.

Why does it keep disabling something I tell it not to?
There has to be an answer, it can't be pure "randomness" to which servers get VAC protection.

Thank you.

M_C
29th March 2006, 23:45
Hello hidden community,
I am running a dedicated server and I am having trouble getting VAC (Valve Anti-Cheat) to work.

First off, please do not post that there is a cvar (command) to enable it, sv_secure does not exist, I have seen that posted more than once on these forums.

Second, adding -secure to my command line has no effect.

In the console when the server is starting it says Connection to Steam servers successful. VAC Secure mode disabled.

Why does it keep disabling something I tell it not to?
There has to be an answer, it can't be pure "randomness" to which servers get VAC protection.

Thank you.
I get the same exact same thing with a win32 install so it's not likely due to either OS, which pretty much just leaves STEAM or firewall settings perhaps. Have you tried the STEAM forums?

Gusdor
30th March 2006, 01:15
im pretty sure VAC only works with official steam products, but dont take that as gospel

M_C
30th March 2006, 01:17
im pretty sure VAC only works with official steam products, but dont take that as gospel
I see VAC secured servers when I search STEAM for hidden servers. *shrug*

Gusdor
30th March 2006, 02:14
my bad then :D

Demented
30th March 2006, 09:00
Does this thread (http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=3440) help any?

Doesn't look like it would, but you never know.

M_C
30th March 2006, 09:22
It doesn't help me any. I've tried everything there, even the +ip and the -secure. Maybe it'll help F2O. ;)

K. GoBlin
30th March 2006, 13:20
I've searched for the answer to this problem high and low, and unfortunately no one has an official answer as to why some people can get it to work and some can't. Everyone claims to have gotten it to work adding things like +port or -secure or sv_secure 1 to their server.cfg, etc. But no one has come up with an explanation that solves the problem for everyone (or the vast majority). There's obviously something wrong, people just can't figure out what it is.
My guess is that Valve only allows so many non-Valve games to connect and authenticate to the VAC servers. So people have randomly been able to connect as others disconnect from it. That's why, I think, so many people claim that it works if you just keep restarting your server.

M_C
30th March 2006, 17:49
I assume it's nothing the mod community is doing or we should have figured it out by now but who knows. I've heard that restarting works for people that *usually* VAC secure but I've restarted this win32 server a dozen times without ever getting it to secure once. I originally thought fw, .cfg, startup -options but the more I search the more it seems like Valve.

Do the people that CAN secure their servers use private IP/NAT connections? Block ICMP/etc at the FW? Specify different master servers in their .cfg? Restart their servers at a certain time of day? I've never found the trick....yet. I noticed that everytime I see a b2b server, it's *always* secured too but I've never seen more than 3 up, at one time. Could one of the admins that do VAC secure post their server.cfg (- rcon passwd of course) and startup -options along with a little network info like NAT/open ports/etc? I still think it's Valve but I hate giving up. :confused:

K. GoBlin
30th March 2006, 19:06
It's definitely frustrating, but I can tell you that it's not a Firewall or any sort of port blocking issue. I have 5 game servers running on my Win2k3 server, CS:S, DOD:S, HS, Dys and Empires. The CS and DOD servers are secure, the mod servers aren't. They all have the same startup options in the command line and similar server.cfg's. The CS and DOD servers will secure all day long. The mod ones won't. :(

M_C
30th March 2006, 19:12
Do any of your mod servers EVER secure? It seems like that the hidden servers that DO secure, often secure, but those that never secure, just don't. POM and deadclan servers almost always secure. Maybe it's their backbone?

K. GoBlin
30th March 2006, 21:07
Nope. I've never gotten any of them to secure. But I've definitely seen secure servers of all those mods.

M_C
30th March 2006, 21:38
Do the servers, that DO secure, connect to different master servers than the ones that dont?

Connection to Steam servers successful.
Adding master server 69.28.151.162:27011
Adding master server 207.173.177.11:27011
VAC secure mode disabled.

(with mani-)
version : 1.0.1.0/7 2672 insecure (secure mode enabled, connected to Steam3)
udp/ip : 192.168.5.5:27015

(different server, different network, different router/fw)
version : 1.0.1.0/7 2672 insecure (secure mode enabled, connected to Steam3)
udp/ip : 10.2.3.4:27015

Neither secure...ever. *shrug*

F2O
31st March 2006, 02:52
that post doesnt help me :\
still isnt working, im wondering... is there a way to specify which steam server you connect to? i remember something similar to this before steam i believe... a file in hlds folder to specify the servers you connect to, maybe theres something similar for steam?

M_C
31st March 2006, 03:01
that post doesnt help me :\
still isnt working, im wondering... is there a way to specify which steam server you connect to? i remember something similar to this before steam i believe... a file in hlds folder to specify the servers you connect to, maybe theres something similar for steam?
You can specify which master servers to use in your server.cfg but I wouldn't know which to add if the default won't work.

EDIT: I think I've figured it out. If I'm right, it has to do with server builds. I'll post more later...