PDA

View Full Version : Playing H:S on a Weak Machine

Viper114
27th March 2006, 21:05
NOTE 1: This mini-tweak guide is meant for any and all individuals who are the owners not-so-great computers that have difficulties playing H:S due to graphical capabilities. If you are able to play H:S at a DirectX level greater than or equal to 8.0 with little to no problems in performance, ignore this.

NOTE 2: All tweaks performed here were initially created using an ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 IGP with Omega Drivers V3.8.205. Your GPU and drivers may vary.

Are you one of the poor individuals in the world with a less-than-spectacular computer, incapable of running Source-based games and mods at a DirectX level greater than 7.0? I am, and for a long time I was to suffer when playing H:S, unable to clearly see the Hidden, relying on sound and other players primarily to play properly. It was becoming quite aggravating after a while, so I set out to find a means to play H:S at a decent performance, while being able to see the Hidden as he initially should (a water ripple/heat wave effect).

And thanks to the helpful individuals within this very forum, and the list of cvars primarily found at Tweakguides.com, I have found that we users of weak computers to play H:S the way it's meant to be played, without having to shell out wads of cash for a new graphics card, or worse, a whole new computer! And I am going to give you the means to do so.

The Fundamental Problem

H:S is unique in its premise that it's a game of 8v1, where that one person is invisible, fast and strong. When I say invisible, I don't mean he's completely invisible. As you no doubt see in the screenshot in the Media section of the main site, you'll notice that he has somewhat of an outline, and everything that you can see through him is somewhat warped and twisted in shape.

Unfortunately, this effect that he is given is quite complex. So complex, in fact, that if you are running H:S on the DirectX level of 7.0, this effect is non-existant. What you actually see is a very faint, gray/black shape where he should be. This practically does make him completely invisible. Only at certain angles and with a bit of luck are you able to catch the glimpse of him on this DirectX level. And, because of this, it severly detracts your playing capabilities, and makes you quite the easy target.

Only on DirectX level 8.0, 8.1 or 9.0 is he actually shown as he should be. And, this can also be a problem, because those DirectX levels can be quite taxing on your computer resources with more complex graphics. Even on my lowly machine, I was lucky enough to get 10 to 25 FPS.

The Tweaks

But, there is a solution. One that can be done in a manner of a few quick keystrokes, but give the most SIGNIFICANT results. Let's begin.

1) Setting Launch Options

While in Steam, go to Games, right click on Hidden:Source B2 and select Properties. Then click Select Launch Options. Now, type these in the text line you're given.

-heapsize XXX000 +exec mytweaks.cfg -console -dxlevel 80 OR 81

Where you see XXX, put in the number that is equal to HALF of your RAM size. Say, if you have 512MB of RAM, put in 256. Also, where it says mytweaks, you can actually put whatever you want there, but it has to match the name you give to the CFG file we create in Step 2. Character for character.

Now, close the Launch Options box.

2) Creating the CFG file.

Open Notepad. Now, starting on the first line, type these:

bindtoggle z cl_showfps 2 (doesn't have to be z, set to any free key)
cl_forcepreload 1
sv_forcepreload 1
cl_smooth 0
cl_ragdoll_collide 1
r_fastzreject -1
r_decals 1000
r_maxmodeldecal 25
r_waterforceexpensive 0
mat_compressedtextures 1
mat_bumpmap 0
mat_specular 0

Then save this text file as XXX.cfg, where XXX is whatever you want it to be (like mytweaks, as above). But, DO NOT NAME IT EITHER CONFIG.CFG OR AUTOEXEC.CFG. These have already been spoken for and overwriting them could cause big problems. Save this file in .../Steam/SteamApps/SourceMods/hidden/cfg.

3) In Game Options

Load H:S. Go to your Video options and set whatever you believe will work out, but make sure to set Shader Quality to HIGH. This is required to give the Hidden his invisible effect.

And there you have it. By doing these three steps, you will see that the texturing will look like it did in DirectX 7.0, but both the water and the Hidden will retain their >= DirectX 8.0 quality, without any degradation in framerate!

M_C
27th March 2006, 21:21
Nice! Geat idea and very well put together. You might explain what some of those setting do though? ;)

Viper114
27th March 2006, 21:40
Well, if you want to know...

bindtoggle z cl_showfps 2 - Sets a desired unused key (such as Z) to show the FPS at the top of the screen and what map name you are running on. Doesn't have to be set to Z, use anything within comfortable reach.

cl_forcepreload 1 & sv_forcepreload 1 - Forces the game to preload ALL information, reducing suttering by not loading anything on the fly. CL stands for client-side (your machine) and SV stands for server-side (the server that you join).

cl_smooth 0 - This prevents the game from smoothing the view after prediction errors, which causes increase in stuttering.

cl_ragdoll_collide 1 - Prevents character models from merging into each other due to ragdoll effects, which improves realism with no real performance hit.

r_fastzreject -1 - Allows the game to automatically detect whether or not your system can use the fast z-setting algorithm which takes advantage of hardware fast z reject for improved performance.

r_decals 1000 - Specifies the maximum number of decals possible at any one time.

r_maxmodeldecal 25 - This number determines the maximum number of decals which can be drawn on a model.

r_waterforceexpensive 0 - Forces game to NOT use the highest quality water effect, increasing performance with no real drop in water realism.

mat_compressedtextures 1 - Uses compressed textures to improve performance.

mat_bumpmap 0 - Disables bump-mapping. Reduces the texture quality for increased performance.

mat_specular 0 - Disables specular lighting. If you use disable bump-mapping, your character's arms and weapon will look like they made of chrome metal. Disabling specular lighting removes that effect.

M_C
27th March 2006, 21:45
Awesome!

Now do one for lag/choke/latency/etc. ;)

Viper114
27th March 2006, 21:47
If only... :D

Perhaps this thread should be stickied?

Demented
28th March 2006, 00:14
Oh, but it is.

Payback
28th March 2006, 01:01
Good tweak list.

I've always wondered about the RAM commands. I used to use one back in the day for Counter-Strike and I never really remember noticing a difference. I see it recommended all the time too, but has anyone actually ever done a test to see what difference it makes? My point being, shouldn't the game automatically use up as much RAM as it needs to like any other program would?

Viper114
28th March 2006, 01:05
Not really. Source games use a default of 64MB as a cache to store the information. Increasing the value to something higher allows more information to be stored in the RAM and reduces loading pauses.

Blueflame
28th March 2006, 02:28
yes!

finally i can play docks, discovery, and train depot, without signifigant loss of framerate!

*hugs laptop*

Ging
28th March 2006, 03:00
Just a note - as far as I'm aware, mat_bloom shouldn't have any impact on performance, the code that uses it just isn't functional.

Viper114
28th March 2006, 03:45
Eh, well, depends if you see it or not. Bloom looks pretty, but when you're hurting for performance, bloom's gotta go. It's an optional cvar, recommended to be put in TweakGuide's CFG example, so I did just in case.

Blueflame
28th March 2006, 05:28
studies show the vast majority of pc gamers prefer higher framerate over better graphics and even higher resolutions.

Ging
28th March 2006, 09:22
Eh, well, depends if you see it or not. Bloom looks pretty, but when you're hurting for performance, bloom's gotta go. It's an optional cvar, recommended to be put in TweakGuide's CFG example, so I did just in case.

That's just it, in hidden, there is no bloom - mat_bloom doesn't do anything for you perfomance wise!

Chas0r
28th March 2006, 11:14
I was just going to open such a thread, then I thought I'd better wait till b3..
Anyway, something to add, beside of the ingame settings:
I assume that you all use windows, so here is some tweaking stuff that's accually well-known

System-performace:
Go to System Properties -> Advanced -> System performace (click on properties ) -> At adjust performace chose Applications -> Same for memory usage -> At virtual memory click on CHANGE -> specify the disc-space allocated as memory, highest as you can afford
Threads
Most ppl I know just install pleny of applications and tools without minding their autostart fuctions. So first check your thread list and see which threads you can set aside.
To remove them, go to regedit (Start-> Execute.. -> type "regedit") and look for the keys in HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/CurrentVersion/Run/
If you delete the key, these files won't be executed on startup.
Maybe some apps are also started by the autostart-folder (Start -> Programs -> autostart) Just delete those *.lnk files in this case.
Services
Windows uses WAY too much memory for services you never use.
To change this, just find the service manager (system control -> administration -> services) and check what services are running.To deactivate them, chose properties -> startup -> deactivated.
Services I deactivated are for instance fax / phonce, WAN ports, WIA service,.. There's a describtion, from which you can easily guess weather you need them or not. (if you don't have a printer, just throw away printer services)
It's not much, but you get some memory, and CPU time from that. The memory allocated by services hides behind windows apps like svchost.exe or services.exe.
Older drivers
The recent gfx drivers, always have more features, more options, more memory usage. Sometimes, less is more - so try out older drivers.
I can only tell for ATI-cards: Using Cataclyst 5.1 gives me about 15(!) FPS more than the newest version (6.3).
Experement with them (or maybe someone can post experiences). You may use applications like ATI-tool (http://www.click-now.net/cgi-bin/download.pl?file=1341) to test/overclock as well. I'm sure there's something equivalent for nVidia-chips as well.

Those are just some tips i once wrote, and updated/translated* now. Quite generic ones, sometimes they help - sometimes they dont.

*I hope I correctly translated the windows definitions

Viper114
28th March 2006, 13:21
That's just it, in hidden, there is no bloom - mat_bloom doesn't do anything for you perfomance wise!

Not even if you run Hidden at highest graphical capability and have HDR enabled?

Ging
28th March 2006, 14:04
Nope, not a thing - I know this because mods don't have HDR support yet and I haven't implemented bloom.

Viper114
28th March 2006, 15:01
Ah, I see. Well, I've changed the posts to remove the mat_bloom line. If it ain't needed, don't use it.

edit°
28th March 2006, 15:15
I'm not sure if its still possible but I know a guy who's PC was so shocking that he used to go into the task manager and shut down windows explorer whilst he was playing. It helped heaps apparently :)

Viper114
28th March 2006, 16:29
I'd like to know how he would be able to do anything once he did. :rolleyes:

edit°
28th March 2006, 17:14
Well he said he could run games without the windows explorer running. He had to "run" explorer.exe afterwards to get back into a usable windows interface but I just believed him based on the fact that one minute he couldn't play games at all, the next he was managing just fine. :)

I assumed its because the windows explorer is just the interface part of the OS and technically was just a program running on it like everything else, it made sense when I had it explained like that but I'm not really computer literate outside of getting games to work and using my pc with varying degrees of success to do work and browse. I can't do anything to do with coding and I've got problems assembling the PC itself completely.

Anyone else ever tried this? I'm going to later and just see if I was being lied to. I've made sure my rig will do the things I want it to (otherwise why have it :confused: ) over these past years so I've never had to resort to shutting down a vital part of windows for that little push in performance.

Chas0r
28th March 2006, 18:29
Where you see XXX, put in the number that is equal to HALF of your RAM size. Say, if you have 512MB of RAM, put in 256.
Do you know why it has to be half? I've seen this quite often now, "enter half you graphic card's memory, half your RAM, half whaterver".
What happens to the other half of my valueable memory? Or do games generally need to know half the heap available?
If you don't know, I'm sure the omnicent devs do^^

M_C
28th March 2006, 18:37
Do you know why it has to be half? I've seen this quite often now, "enter half you graphic card's memory, half your RAM, half whaterver".
What happens to the other half of my valueable memory? Or do games generally need to know half the heap available?
I don't think it *has* to be 1/2. I have 2G and heapsizes of 1024000 make my rig crash more than a heap of 512000. YMMV.

Chas0r
28th March 2006, 20:41
Well he said he could run games without the windows explorer running. He had to "run" explorer.exe afterwards to get back into a usable windows interface but I just believed him based on the fact that one minute he couldn't play games at all, the next he was managing just fine. :)

I assumed its because the windows explorer is just the interface part of the OS and technically was just a program running on it like everything else, it made sense when I had it explained like that but I'm not really computer literate outside of getting games to work and using my pc with varying degrees of success to do work and browse. I can't do anything to do with coding and I've got problems assembling the PC itself completely.

Anyone else ever tried this? I'm going to later and just see if I was being lied to. I've made sure my rig will do the things I want it to (otherwise why have it :confused: ) over these past years so I've never had to resort to shutting down a vital part of windows for that little push in performance.

I found a tool called "Process explorer" (http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html). It can kill even critical processes of windows, and e.g. disable sound.
I allready messed up with my registry & service management earlier, so I won't go even further for now, but if you suffer from bad performance (like I do since.. well.. ever) - it may be a good idea to reduce Win to the minimum.
What I'm going to do, is using a "rip-to-bone" version of XP, that is reduced to 50MB hdd space. I expect good performace from that one as well.
Good luck tweaking ;)

Viper114
28th March 2006, 21:00

Well, it's usually recommended to go no more than half of your RAM size. People say anywhere from 128000 to 512000 works out the best, depending on RAM size (most people have 512 to 1024 MB of RAM, only a select few go any higher). For me, it's at half.

Oh, and edit, what I meant to say is how he is able to run anything after he kills explorer.exe. Usually when it's forced to close, the entire GUI for Windows disappears and won't reappear unless you hard reset the computer. Believe me, I've done it before by accident.

Gusdor
28th March 2006, 21:40
arrgghh, dont let boxy see this thread

edit°
28th March 2006, 23:33
Well, it's usually recommended to go no more than half of your RAM size. People say anywhere from 128000 to 512000 works out the best, depending on RAM size (most people have 512 to 1024 MB of RAM, only a select few go any higher). For me, it's at half.

Oh, and edit, what I meant to say is how he is able to run anything after he kills explorer.exe. Usually when it's forced to close, the entire GUI for Windows disappears and won't reappear unless you hard reset the computer. Believe me, I've done it before by accident.

Yeah thats what I meant, he did some kind of keyboard command for 'run' and typed explorer.exe then its back :)

khu
28th March 2006, 23:41
Guys, this other stuff about editing the registry is very very unsafe. Things like running programs without explorer.exe? That's ludicrous. As long as you close your other programs, there's NO reason to shut down explorer.exe to play a game.

I've half a mind to move all this other stuff to another thread and keep only Viper's HL2 tweak guide, as I would not recommend people randomly playing around with their registry.

M_C
28th March 2006, 23:54
Guys, this other stuff about editing the registry is very very unsafe. Things like running programs without explorer.exe? That's ludicrous. As long as you close your other programs, there's NO reason to shut down explorer.exe to play a game.

I've half a mind to move all this other stuff to another thread and keep only Viper's HL2 tweak guide, as I would not recommend people randomly playing around with their registry.
Indeed, deleting your run key for your registry will prevent anything from starting automatically like virus protection and such. Don't do it. Killing explorer.exe won't hurt anything but I wouldn't do it.

I think moving everything out but the guide (including this) is a fine idea. ;)

Viper114
30th March 2006, 14:58
If people want to try and fiddle with stuff in Windows itself to see if they get more performance, then I suggest 3 things.

1) Defrag

One of the basic things that can be done. Use of data on your hard drives, over time, gets so fragmented that reading the data can actually take longer than a defragged drive, regardless of CPU or RAM speed. Defragging takes quite a while, though, so make sure you leave the computer to defrag for a while (EX: out at work, over night, etc...). You can either use the Windows default defragger, or you can get a third-party (and more reliable) program to defrag, as well.

2) CCleaner (cleaning out the crap)

CCleaner is a very useful tool. It has a very basic premise. Cleaning out crap! There's no telling what kind of useless data and old registry values still lurk on your computer, and this program can destroy anything from a couple of bits to a gig or more! You can also choose what CCleaner cleans out, in case there are any pieces of data you don't want it to destroy. It also can scan the registry for old and useless registry values to keep it nice and clean, too. Just google for CCleaner and it should be right on the first result.

3) TuneXP

This little program has the ability to, as its name suggests, tune Windows XP. It can tweak numerous aspects of XP, such as Memory & File System aspects, Hardware aspects, and more. When you follow the given documentation with it, you can increase the speed of XP by a large factor. A recommended piece of freeware for those in performance need. Google TuneXP and it's right there on the first result.

Sonic
30th March 2006, 20:47

What the hell are you people on? You just press ctrl+alt+delete and click "run" Then type in what ever critical program you stopped.

Sir Wankus Magpie
4th April 2006, 17:44
hahaha sonic...i was scrolling down to see if anyone would suggest that...had to be you lol

Blueflame
29th April 2006, 08:21
is this config the same for B3

or should some things be changed?

Viper114
30th April 2006, 14:51
My guess? Shouldn't matter what Beta version is in effect. The Source engine is still the same (unless the mod devs did some kind of graphical rehaul), so all the steps should remain as is. But, I will go through the new Beta of the mod to see if anything needs to be changed.

Of course, if I can pull myself away from Guild Wars Factions... ;)

mf-
1st May 2006, 13:20
Viper you play dystopia. Awesome

iMMuNiTy
2nd May 2006, 13:18
Awesome tweak, Kudos to you. But I have one question... I'm pretty sure that the effect that gives 617 that Predator'y look requires DX9, DX8.1 at the very least. I tried playing with a FX5500, he's as visible as a model with 10% Alpha. :D

Pazernus
13th May 2006, 12:38
sorry to disappoint you,but i did all as this post told step by step and it still crashes :I

Zombee
24th May 2006, 06:32
Doesn't crash(for as far as I've played) but when I walk forward (as the hidden or an iris member) Its kinda choppy, its not lagg its something else.
I appreciate the effort you guys put into this.

Blane Derrick
5th June 2006, 04:40
I've got a pretty peculiar problem.

I'm on a Dell inspiron 9300 laptop with 1.72 Ghz and 1 gig of ram. awesome for the ram, processor isn't super fast.

I'm guessing my main problem is the ATI mobility radeon x300 gfx card (which is the lowest end of those cards).

However, it seems that changing basic video options in hidden doesn't make huge amounts of difference. that is, model and textures seem ok. The shader level does effect frame rate a little, as well as antialiasing, but not in HUGE amounts it seems.

I also read somewhere that the x300/x900 line of cards defaults at dxlevel 9. I think that was just offhand on some forum I read that but what exactly does that mean? My guess is that it means its designed to run on it?

I tried changing the launch settings etc. as described in this guide but it doesn't seem to make much difference. Does anyone know what's going on?

ps: may not be important but HL2 by itself can run in the highest resolution possible with most settings on high and get 30-40 fps as opposed to getting 10-25 fps in hidden with settings on low and resoultion reduced.

edit/pps: I also found it interesting that when i go into video options, the settings reccommended for my system are all high! This doesn't make any sense!

hutch
5th June 2006, 04:45
if I rember correctly the gpu in a mobility x300 is very slow. if thats the case then there isn't a whole lot that you can do..

Blane Derrick
5th June 2006, 04:49
That's unfortunate. I've heard gfx cards in laptops are very difficult to replace, if it is at all possible. In fact I believe this one is integrated. Does anyone have any experience with replacing laptop gfx cards?

hutch
5th June 2006, 05:03
That's unfortunate. I've heard gfx cards in laptops are very difficult to replace, if it is at all possible. In fact I believe this one is integrated. Does anyone have any experience with replacing laptop gfx cards?
you just about summed it up there, some alienware laptops have special gxf cards that can be easily replaces but i dont think dells do.
then again I dont have a dell laptop :p

Aries_1
21st June 2006, 19:06
How about a laptop with a Turion 64?

Are there any tweaks to keep my laptop from 'grinding its gears' when playing The Hidden?

Aciid
22nd June 2006, 10:20
.. but that dxlevel 80 or 81, when do you need 80 en when 81? or is it just a number? does it matter? :$

Boxy
1st July 2006, 18:29
Theres not a big difference between DX8.0 and DX8.1, but if you can goto 8.1 its worth doing. Just see 81 as a revision or patch to DX8. And dont triple post!

Lt_Jesus
15th July 2006, 00:03
ok I am new to this game, now how do u apply those setting when you are playing the game using halflife 2 deathmacth, since thats what i run it with, using xfire since the hidden will only appear on the steam game list unless you run halflife 2, anyway to get around this?

obs
2nd January 2007, 23:46
can you post a screenshot of how you see hidden please?

hutch
3rd January 2007, 01:26
can you post a screenshot of how you see hidden please?

Like so
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/2129/eyecb8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

obs
3rd January 2007, 01:29

Zabiela
3rd January 2007, 01:35
Actually it couldnt be any clearer... unless you change the question you were asking.

Paegus
3rd January 2007, 01:46
hmm nice one...

@obs
just watch Predator (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093773/) or Predator II (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100403/)...

or i guess you could watch Aliens Vs Predator (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0370263/) if you really wanted to... but it's plot is about as solid as a tic-tac.

or click here (http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=7160)

Zabiela
3rd January 2007, 01:53
http://www.hidden-source.com/media/ingame/IRIS_Members_12.jpg

Trial
20th March 2007, 00:50
When i load hidden i get a console message that Tweak.cfg could not be exec. I put it in the cfg file and it has the Tweak.cfg name with cap. Also when i bumped hidden up to 8.0 dx it ran fine for the past few days but now when i try to run it crashes upon server join?

ProAm
4th January 2008, 07:53
I tried this, but when I first start the game I get this message:

Both ConVars must be marked FCVAR_REPLICATED for linkage to work (r_VehicleViewDampen)
maxplayers set to 9
Heap: 256.00 Mb
Parsed 23 text messages
Both ConVars must be marked FCVAR_REPLICATED for linkage to work (r_VehicleViewDampen)
Hud element 'CHudMaterial' doesn't have an entry 'HudMaterial' in scripts/HudLayout.res
execing config.cfg
Can't use cheat cvar cam_command in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
Can't use cheat cvar dsp_dist_max in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
Can't use cheat cvar dsp_dist_min in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
Can't use cheat cvar r_ambientfraction in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
1 CPU, Frequency: 2.0 Ghz, Features: GenuineIntel SSE SSE2 MMX RDTSC CMOV FCMOV
execing valve.rc
couldn't exec mytweaks.cfg

What is going wrong?

-SM-SUCKER
4th January 2008, 08:44
Check for typos, maybe you named "mytweaks.cfg" differently, perhas a space etc.
Else post what the .cfg looks like so we can see why it can't be executed.

ProAm
5th January 2008, 00:45
Well I'm running on DX7 for starters. It's all my graphics card supports. :(

This is what "mytweaks.cfg" looks like:

bindtoggle z cl_showfps 2
cl_forcepreload 1
sv_forcepreload 1
cl_smooth 0
cl_ragdoll_collide 1
r_fastzreject -1
r_decals 1000
r_maxmodeldecal 25
r_waterforceexpensive 0
mat_compressedtextures 1
mat_bumpmap 0
mat_specular 0

I named it "mytweaks.cfg" exactly.

Paegus
5th January 2008, 08:17
the file needs to be in .../hidden/cfg

though you say you're playing with DX 7... that mode is entirely unsupported now to the point that the texture used is 100% transparent. you wont be able to visually detect the hidden at all.

-SM-SUCKER
5th January 2008, 12:45
Oh I always thought they just don't give them a model to render at all when in DX7.

Paegus
5th January 2008, 13:31
correction... the only way to detect the hidden model visually is with the Laser Aiming Module which erroneously interacts directly with the hidden player model.

DaNeo
26th December 2008, 20:57
Hello

My Friend has a problem:

http://flf.xail.net/bilder/hidden.PNG
http://flf.xail.net/bilder/hidden2.PNG

How can it chance his pc isnt so good but he has testet this performence guild with non chancing effects.

Thats is when he used the Hidden Vision
http://flf.xail.net/bilder/hidden3.PNG

The PC:

1,7+ Ghz Pentuim 4
768MB DDR Ram
ATI Readon 9200 SE
Windows XP Professional SP3

EDIT:

add in the CFG
cl_hvision 0!!

bindtoggle z cl_showfps 2 (doesn't have to be z, set to any free key)
cl_forcepreload 1
sv_forcepreload 1
cl_smooth 0
cl_ragdoll_collide 1
r_fastzreject -1
r_decals 1000
r_maxmodeldecal 25
r_waterforceexpensive 0
mat_compressedtextures 1
mat_bumpmap 0
mat_specular 0
cl_hvision 0

Comes this

http://flf.xail.net/bilder/hidden4.PNG

Edit 2:

Without Tweakguide
No problems normaly but vision will not work

Greetz DaNeo

salith
27th December 2008, 08:15
The 9200 can't fully support DX9, so if you put in the launch options (I think this is the correct command);
-dxlevel 80
That should sort it. I remember the problems I had with a 9200 :confused:

blak
27th December 2008, 09:02
I had that error when running under wine, i forced DX9 and only had compatibility for DX8.1 (and the hidden still wasn't rendered)

Rey
17th August 2009, 23:46
Hi guys,i have a problem with H:S.

My PC is:
Nvidia Geforce 8800 gts 320 mb ram
1 gig ram
Xp service pack 3
amd 64 4400 +
and ADSL modem with 256 kb internet connection.

So,at all game servers i have >130 ping...2 years ago i play H:S at 64kb and all was OK. I didn't have so high ping. Now i cant use slash and pounce,no phys,no fun! Only LAGS! WTF?!
:(
Can someone help me please?

Conroy
18th August 2009, 01:06
so you switched from isdn to adsl (light) ?

some more information would be useful (if using wlan etc.). When "exactely" did the ping change?

Rey
18th August 2009, 02:47
so you switched from isdn to adsl (light) ?

some more information would be useful (if using wlan etc.). When "exactely" did the ping change?

Yes,i have ADSL. Ping changed since year ago. Today I will call the my adsl provider, probably, he knows the problem decision... Is a possibile to adjust speed from the console? commands like cl_rate,rate and etc..?:confused:

Conroy
18th August 2009, 13:05
Yes,i have ADSL. Ping changed since year ago.

so, did the ping change, the moment you switched to dsl ? or some time after that.

Is a possibile to adjust speed from the console? commands like cl_rate,rate and etc..?:confused:

should only be a solution if you have problems playing due to high choke etc., but you can post your current netsettings if you want.

Are you using wlan for playing and do you have better pings in other games?

And try to ping a common site on a russian server and post us the results.

(btw, are you the one who just got banned for a day on free cookies ? ^^)