PDA

View Full Version : Flashlights dont effect IRIS models.

Puzzlemaker
22nd March 2006, 13:43
You can see this especially in sewers; flashlights dont light up IRIS models.

antiumano
19th June 2006, 02:07
I have also noticed this.

Ging
19th June 2006, 02:21
I have noticed this in every MP source game that has flashlights, especially CS...

It's just how they've done their rendering system...

Dr.SharK
19th June 2006, 05:32
That's why flashligt owns. The hidden is _NOT_rendered in it either, so you can clearly see him when moving around with the flashlight.

The Laughing Man
19th June 2006, 14:31
question is..

Why laser dot do effect player model but flashligh no?

Veon
19th June 2006, 14:36
Because LAM is coded in another way?

Boxy
19th June 2006, 14:51
CSS flashlights light up the models. It looks cool but Im guessing they use dynamic lights (like point_lightspot). Do we really want upto eight dynamic lights whipping around the level causing slow down for everyone (I assume)? Again this is mere speculation, Im not teh coder...

John
19th June 2006, 15:17
Where did you pull that from Boxy? Have they changed recently, cos they definately wern't working a while ago.

Ging
19th June 2006, 15:36
Yeah, last time I played CSS flashlights didn't light up player models...

starstriker1
19th June 2006, 17:01
Oddly enough, the flashlight works fine in single player HL2. What's being done differently? Is the shader different? Do multiplayer player models have different rendering routines? Can those be modified?

Ging
19th June 2006, 17:10
It's because they're player models, rather than NPCs - I suspect the flashlight will work properly on hostages in CSS, though I've not tested it.

starstriker1
19th June 2006, 17:56
Still, it sounds like the lack of flashlight compatibility is more of an oversight than a design decision... they're both animated models, and they're probably controlled by very similar logic.

Ging
19th June 2006, 18:52
I had a play with it a while ago, but I never got it to the point where it would light up player models... When I noticed it CSS did it, I packed it in for a poor job and left it.

SynxUK
19th June 2006, 23:19
Oddly enough, the flashlight works fine in single player HL2. What's being done differently? Is the shader different? Do multiplayer player models have different rendering routines? Can those be modified?

Would you like another question?

Shadowe
20th June 2006, 03:29
NPC's dont need to be lit consistently across a server, they just need to be lit, or not lit. To have 8 bumpmap affecting dynamic lights tearing around a server and lighting everyone and everything up would not only be a consistency nightmare, but it would also kill your connection.

In CSS flashlights are a solid beam, sorta like a transparent conical model, and when that hits a wall it's very basically lit up.