PDA

View Full Version : Hidden not hidden

Coneheadthebarbarian
19th March 2006, 17:04
I have just downlaoded hidden. I have an ati radeon 9600 256mb grapics card.
I CAN SEE THE HIDDEN.... he has no texture hes just black
and when i play as the hidden the screen is juct black apart from a 1mm line at the top and the bottom i can see the screen. but thats it. i have no other problems and i have tried it on all the graphics settings, still no hiddedn hidden :mad:

Prometheus
19th March 2006, 22:01
can you take a screen shot of the hidden while you are iris (hidden being black) please and post it here? this will help.

brum
11th April 2006, 23:40
I've got the same problem when i have my shader detail on high. when its on low its virtually impossible to see the hidden. ive got a mobility radeon 9200 (noobish i know). any ideas???

bit of a poor pic but thats what i se on high shader. ive seen one or two others in our server with the problem. if you want a better pic then i can send the original which hasnt been resized over msn or sommthing

M_C
12th April 2006, 00:04
The first thing both of you should do is ensure you have and install the latest drivers. ;)

The 9600 is a dx9 capable card and should be fine with the right combo of drivers and settings.

The 9200 is not dx9 capable and I'm not sure if it can be fixed but try
http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=3560&page=1

Cyborg
12th April 2006, 00:25
i have a 9200 and it works just fine. it can be fixed with updated drivers.

brum
12th April 2006, 00:34
im pretty sure my drivers are updated. you got a link to update them?

M_C
12th April 2006, 00:37
I suggest a yahoo search for "ATI drivers" ;)

brum
12th April 2006, 05:40
k i dont really know what im doin with computers. ive tried updating it but i get error messages someone help?

M_C
12th April 2006, 05:48
It shouldn't be that complicated. You download the catalyst driver install .exe (get the one with the Catalyst Control Center) for your OS and run it. If you're getting errors, maybe you downloaded the wrong one or it's corrupted. Try again? Paste the errors? *shrug*

brum
12th April 2006, 05:59
yea i get these two error messages and then it stops.

- INF error
video driver not found

then,

- setup was unable to complete the installation.
Try to setup your display adaptor with a standard VGA driver bfore running setup.

any ideas? i no wot the file is but it wont install on my computer

M_C
12th April 2006, 06:01
Dell laptop by chance?

brum
12th April 2006, 06:04
no its an hp compaq nx7010, with ati mobility radeon 9200, well at las tthats wot it says. ive tried loads of different downloads and gettin th same error

Payback
12th April 2006, 06:04
The latest ATI driver for Windows XP https://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=640

If you have a different OS, or for the future, go to www.ati.com, click DRIVERS & SOFTWARE, then follow the "questions" about what Windows you run and what product it is.

brum
12th April 2006, 06:09
ive been through the ati site and found the drivers but they wont work and ive had a couple of mates try. i always get the same error messages

Lord Al
12th April 2006, 06:20
I have a 9200 mobility and it works fine :) i use http://www.driverheaven.net/ converter tool will check which drivers version i converted later.

M_C
12th April 2006, 06:21
Try re-downloading the driver again, maybe it's corrupted. Copy the driver to your C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp dir (assuming XP) and run it from there, while logged in as Administrator.

brum
12th April 2006, 06:34
ive tried from mny sites. i went into my control center a minute ago and it said something about a displays manager and changing a setting then updating??? any ideas?

M_C
12th April 2006, 06:36
Try using the mobility modder that Al linked to or check HP for a new version?
http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/

brum
12th April 2006, 06:48
its workin!!! im so happy! all i need to know now, is where the file atioglx1.dll is cuz it is needed

M_C
12th April 2006, 06:49
I have no idea, I run Nvidia right now so I don't have ati drivers around. Use your SEARCH. ;)

brum
12th April 2006, 07:29
its worked!!! ive finished installing drivers thru that modder nd the hidden is a water ripple effect. thank u so much!!

bit worried tho, think i downloaded drivers for radeon 9000 and ive got 9200. ah well, close enough. as long as my cs:s isnt affected im happy1

thanks again :D

Payback
12th April 2006, 09:58
AFAIK ATI doesn't really make drivers just for one specific card like the 9000. ATI, like Nvidia puts out one driver that covers their entire range of cards from the series, like ALL Radeons and Nvidia covers ALL Geforce cards. It's a unified driver. It makes it easy so people don't have to worry about which driver to download.

Basically, you're fine.

M_C
12th April 2006, 17:16
Now go kill something...

Kill you later!

Gibbyson
17th April 2006, 01:18
I have the same problem as well...i have an ATI RADEON 9200 FAMILY...lame? yes.

I'm still confused as to what the site is asking. I go to drivers, XP, RADEON, and then it gives me something related to CATALYST 6.4 WINDOWS XP or something. can someone give me a walkthrough?

Boxy
17th April 2006, 08:40
If you got an ATi card can you do worse than these 'Gamer' slanted drivers. I use them all the time and although I cant honestly say they give me 30 extra frames per sec in games, they install a lot tidier than the ATi standard affairs. Clicky clicky (http://www.driverheavendownloads.net/omegadrive.htm) for a direct download, no need to go looking for it. obviously you want the latest set, which I believe is 6.3 at the moment. Hes normally one behind ATi. How good am I?

Isolation
17th April 2006, 09:50
I have the same problem as well...i have an ATI RADEON 9200 FAMILY...lame? yes.

I'm still confused as to what the site is asking. I go to drivers, XP, RADEON, and then it gives me something related to CATALYST 6.4 WINDOWS XP or something. can someone give me a walkthrough?

FYI, Catalyst is just the name of their driver/settings suite. If you want genuine ATI drivers, that's what you want.

Gibbyson
19th April 2006, 03:59
Ok i got it from the link you sent me, installed it and now i can't see the hidden. but now i can't see AS the hidden...but i'll try the console command.

thanks guys.

M_C
19th April 2006, 04:05
Ok i got it from the link you sent me, installed it and now i can't see the hidden. but now i can't see AS the hidden...but i'll try the console command.

thanks guys.
Try this too:
http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=3560&page=1

crommisery
19th April 2006, 12:44
Well, you all guys give tips to the players for that problem. But i don't think that this is a user problem.

The Source Team has to check for the graphic card / driver capabilities an if it doesn't support shader the hidden must be completely invisible otherwise this would be like a cheat.

There should be no problem programing it ...

Ging
19th April 2006, 13:07
The Source Team has to check for the graphic card / driver capabilities an if it doesn't support shader the hidden must be completely invisible otherwise this would be like a cheat

Right, you're not even completely sure what you're talking about are you?

This happens on DX9 cards too - so yeah, sure, we could check for DX9 and lower cards and make him invisible, but that kind of defies the point doesn't it?

The issue seems to be out of date drivers, if you'd spent more than about 2 seconds doing a bit of research before arriving to your stunning conclusion you'd know that...

crommisery
19th April 2006, 13:19
Just create a database u fill with actual driver versions or the lowest supported driver versions. Then you compare the clients driver version with the driver version in your DB ...

Sil
19th April 2006, 13:29
Due to an inner urge not to show the rest of the forum what a bitch I really am -- I'll remove my text as well. Have a nice day, btw.

crommisery
19th April 2006, 13:32
Hey m8 sry about this ... i'll delete the text ...

I didn't know how to write the text in this situation ^^

Sry again :)

Ging
19th April 2006, 13:37
Just create a database u fill with actual driver versions or the lowest supported driver versions. Then you compare the clients driver version with the driver version in your DB ...

Or of course, when people boot up Steam they could pay attention to the message that pops up saying that their drivers are out of date... Why should we replicate work already done? Bit of common sense required here...

crommisery
19th April 2006, 13:52
But Steam doesn't explicit check the requirements for H:S ...

Which shader is required to show the hidden correctly?

I didn't work with the source engine already but is there a possibility to check if the drivers r out of date? If yes u could easily set him invisible ...

Ging
19th April 2006, 13:57
But Steam doesn't explicit check the requirements for H:S ...

No, but I think it's a given that the people having this problem won't pay attention to us if they won't pay attention to Steam - which just gives generic update messages whenever your driver version isn't the latest. So again, there's no point us doing it when Steam does it too...

crommisery
19th April 2006, 14:03
I didn't meant that you should give a message to the user if his driver is out of date ... just set the hidden invisible and maybe a little message that he'll be set to invisible.

Just think about how fast the motivation for the game would get lost only because other players can cheat with ease!

edit°
19th April 2006, 14:05
Most server admins find them and get rid of them though. We don't have too much trouble with them these days

crommisery
19th April 2006, 14:10
with them these days
These days, maybe ... but the game is not so well known atm ... what if the game leaves the beta status?

The game gets better and better known and more and more will find this "leak" and will abuse it.

And sometimes these players are realy hard to see!

edit°
19th April 2006, 14:23
Then our servers will get even more traffic as we ban the rest of them.

Its something that really cannot be fixed after a point. Most of the possible fixes are being done for B3. You have to keep in mind that anything done can be undone, so people who are desperate enough are always going to find ways to do things like this.

Get yourself on some good servers, get your name known and if it ever comes to it, theres plenty of places that host private gather games.

Ging
19th April 2006, 14:30
but the game is not so well known atm

It's the third or fourth most played Source mod on steam (http://steampowered.com/status/game_stats.html)... Yeah, not so well known...

The fact is, you'd need to have the right graphics card and know the drivers to drop back to - it's only the hardcore that are going to do it, same way it's the hardcore that keep on the cutting edge of cheating... Basically, no, go back to writing your own engine...

crommisery
19th April 2006, 14:51
These were just tips .. no reason to be so offensive!

I still love your game an waiting for beta 3 ... gl further

Payback
19th April 2006, 14:54
When does Steam decide your drivers aren't up to date? I run old ATI drivers because I don't want to switch to the new ones that force you to use the whole Control panel thing, whatever they call it (I also don't want 3rd party ones). I haven't seen that 'Your drivers are out of date' message since the reformat I forgot to install any drivers.

Besides, people may have seen the driver message one time 2 years ago when they installed Steam and then never since. Now they install Hidden and have it all screwed up because their drivers are out of date. It's obviously happening because we get people coming here all the time that have a problem due to the drivers. I can only imagine how many people this affects that don't come to the boards.

Ging
19th April 2006, 16:06
It used to do it pretty much every update.

M_C
19th April 2006, 17:00
When does Steam decide your drivers aren't up to date? I run old ATI drivers because I don't want to switch to the new ones that force you to use the whole Control panel thing, whatever they call it (I also don't want 3rd party ones). I haven't seen that 'Your drivers are out of date' message since the reformat I forgot to install any drivers.

I'm pretty sure the ATI control panel applet is optional, either at download or at install, I forget which. What's wrong with the applet?

starstriker1
19th April 2006, 20:18
Actually, the control panel is a pretty sweet deal, especially if your card supports overdrive (I'm not sure if most older cards do... which cards started supporting it?). Overdrive is basically dynamic, safe, ATI-sanctioned overclocking tied to the temperature sensor on your card. It'll tone down the overclock level the moment the temperature starts rising!

Then, it is a matter of personal preference.

And, as M_C said, there's probably an option to avoid Catalyst if you REALLY don't want it.

Payback
19th April 2006, 22:54
I actually just installed the Omega 6.3 drivers because I read that the problem I've been having recently was related to old drivers. I couldn't alt-tab in Source games anymore without crashing when going back in. I could before for like a month, then one day I couldn't. Weird. It's fixed now though.

Gibbyson
19th April 2006, 23:04
right well...after i installed my driver, none of my steam games load now. i went over to the steam forums and found out that THAT paritcular driver ATI cards causes all steam games not to load...which forces me to delete the driver seeing as how none of my games work so i'm going to have to work with the old driver...i probably won't be playing hidden either seeing as how i can see the hidden which takes the fun out of it...

Payback
19th April 2006, 23:12
right well...after i installed my driver, none of my steam games load now. i went over to the steam forums and found out that THAT paritcular driver ATI cards causes all steam games not to load...which forces me to delete the driver seeing as how none of my games work so i'm going to have to work with the old driver...i probably won't be playing hidden either seeing as how i can see the hidden which takes the fun out of it...

What card do you have again? and which driver did you try? Link to the Steam post? This situation should be resolvable if your video card is new enough.

Gibbyson
19th April 2006, 23:44
I have an ATI RADEON 9200 FAMILY, AGP. i downloaded the catalyst 6.3 or 6.4, i can't remember.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=429143

I don't think my card is that new...its right on the edge to let me play half-life 2.

M_C
20th April 2006, 00:21
I have an ATI RADEON 9200 FAMILY, AGP. i downloaded the catalyst 6.3 or 6.4, i can't remember.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=429143

I don't think my card is that new...its right on the edge to let me play half-life 2.
I think 6.4 is just a few days old, if you don't have them get them and install them.

Did you ever apply the tweaks here:
http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=3560&page=1 ?

Maybe it's time to pony up for a new vid card? ;)