PDA

View Full Version : Cheaters

K. GoBlin
17th March 2006, 21:08
I'm a bit concerned at the amount of random "fair cheating" talk there is in my server when I look through my logs. It seems that a fairly large group of people think that changing/customizing the Hidden's skin to a bright color so he's visible is "fair" because VAC doesn't ban them for doing it. Odd logic.
Anyway, I was wondering if there was something created for HS (similar to the CAL plugin that forces consistency among clients) or a CVAR that would work for the Hidden mod that would force a consistency check on all clients entering the game.

MiasmicAnomie
17th March 2006, 21:19
Odd logic.

Well, it's almost reasonable considering the logic required to cheat at all - that's the real leap of illogic. The rest of it is just rationalization to support their position.

I bet they grow up to be politicians or pundits. :D

K. GoBlin
17th March 2006, 21:29
The closest I come to cheating is turning up the gamma in my options setting. And really the only reason I do that is because I have a 9 year old monitor and the damn tube is going.

Ging
17th March 2006, 22:21
We do our best to ensure consistency, but there are some things that we just can't protect against, like certain client side commands - I'll hopefully be able to get the ear of someone at valve and discuss my concerns about it over the next week.

Kitty_Loaf
17th March 2006, 22:29
What server do you admin?

K. GoBlin
17th March 2006, 22:55
66.208.106.153:27016 GoBlinARMY Hidden:Source Community

This was going to be our rotating mod spot (swap out a new mod every month) but since the server maxes out at 9 players, I figure I'll just leave it up just to help the community out a bit.

I know there are certain CVARs such as sv_consistency that will do a consistency check for any changed files in the client's folder and prevent anyone with custom skins loaded from joining the server. Not sure if this would work for the Hidden mod. Don't know if there's a way to implement that sort of thing to see if the Hidden's files have been tampered with or not.

Arsenic
18th March 2006, 03:22
Yeah I am sure you can have something check to see if the model has been changed. And as for locking a client cvar I know it can be done because on my DoD server we force the mini map on and lock it because it prevents certain wall hacks from working. Of course this is all custom stuff one of our members does on the side. If you want I can have him look into it and maybe come up with a fix for it. I dont know what cvar you are talking about so I would need a PM or you can contact me on my site www.fsrgaming.com with what cvar would need to be locked.

If you are a little leary about giving the cvar to me you can check out our coders latest project www.antihax.net.

Just a quick question would it be possible to have the server send them a new hidden model when the map changes to ensure everyone is playing fair?

Kitty_Loaf
18th March 2006, 04:28
That would be a bit too much over-head if they did that, it would be great if they could impliment a forced download though that made sure the hidden was how it's supposed to be.

M_C
18th March 2006, 04:39
Just a quick question would it be possible to have the server send them a new hidden model when the map changes to ensure everyone is playing fair?
I never thought of that one but if they can upload maps and sounds etc, I don't see why they couldn't enforce that one too. Ging?

Ging
18th March 2006, 05:02
In theory it's possible, mani and the like force model downloads - but there's also the problem that the engine itself allows players to not download anything from a server...

Something to think about, certainly.

M_C
18th March 2006, 05:07
In theory it's possible, mani and the like force model downloads - but there's also the problem that the engine itself allows players to not download anything from a server...

Would it be overly complicated to add something like this to b3a or whatever your numbering system will be? Perhaps a serverside .txt file that lists things to enforce a check via hash or just upload on connect maybe?

Arsenic
18th March 2006, 06:35
Can anyone post all the cvars for the server.cfg please. I recieved a couple but there has to be more.

K. GoBlin
18th March 2006, 08:35
Can anyone post all the cvars for the server.cfg please. I recieved a couple but there has to be more.
http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=3345

I'd be very happy to hear if some sort of check was implemented to make sure client side files hadn't been tampered with. It's bad enough having to worry about aimbot type hacks, but even 1 person hacking in a 9 player server could seriously ruin a lot of fun for the server.
Thanks for the replies and feedback.

IamwatchingU
18th March 2006, 11:38
Don't they know everytime you cheat the Deity of your choice burns a kitten? ;)

Ging
18th March 2006, 11:42
There are checks in place already and we do intend to perform more checks in the future.

Danni
18th March 2006, 14:05
How evil, they gave us a cvar query system in HLSDK but not the SourceSDK. If cvars are the problem that would have been a great way to check.

Couldn't you overload the cvar or give it a cheat flag?

Kitty_Loaf
18th March 2006, 16:29

But what if the admins like to cheat and hack the models so only they get the hacked models while everyone gets non or just the normal? There are mani mods out there that allow only the admin to have a certain model (like the CT or T model that has "Admin" on it's patch)

That woul dbe bad >_<