PDA

View Full Version : linux server help

twiztid
16th March 2006, 23:10
ive managed to follow the directions here with no problem so far, but when i get to downloading the hidden files, i cant resolve the server they're hosted on.

have they been moved or something? please let me know if im doing something wrong

M_C
16th March 2006, 23:18
ive managed to follow the directions here with no problem so far, but when i get to downloading the hidden files, i cant resolve the server they're hosted on.

have they been moved or something? please let me know if im doing something wrong
I'm not sure about linsux but with FreeBSD you'd just type;

fetch http://taligari.lincoln.ac.uk/fun/HiddenSourceBeta2_Dedicated.zip

If you can't resolve the domain that's something not related to the hidden web server but the ip is 194.80.61.92 if that helps. ;)

twiztid
16th March 2006, 23:25
ok, i just downloaded the dedicated server off the main page and that works, but im not understanding why when i run the server, it says IP is 127.0.0.1 thats not right is it? shouldnt it display the ip of the machine?

M_C
16th March 2006, 23:28
Oh, I have no idea about the config for that, you'd think there'd be a way to bind it to an ip or interface instead of local host. It is set sv_lan 0 right?

EDIT: You also need the b2a update. http://taligari.lincoln.ac.uk/fun/HSB2aUpdate-DS.zip and in a few days you'll need the b3 files. :D

MiasmicAnomie
17th March 2006, 07:57
ok, i just downloaded the dedicated server off the main page and that works, but im not understanding why when i run the server, it says IP is 127.0.0.1 thats not right is it? shouldnt it display the ip of the machine?

does the srcds_run command you're using to start it have a switch on it forcing it to use 127.0.0.1 as the address? It's really, really odd that it would be using loopback as the address to bind the port to.

When I start it, as far as I can tell it binds to INADDR_ANY, and not a specific IP address - so if it has a switch telling it to use that address, just remove it unless you actually need to bind it to one specific IP.

The command I used, before I figured out that I wouldn't be able to run one (due to ppl lagging), was:

./srcds_run -console -game hidden +map hdn_stalkyard -maxplayers 9 -autoupdate

(you might want to set up something in inittab so that if the process dies, it'll restart, and it'll start on hitting the right runlevel - e.g., on boot)

If it doesn't have a switch forcing it, maybe just run the command 'netstat -na' and make sure it's actually bound to 0.0.0.0. The line should look something like:

udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:27015 0.0.0.0:*

if it's there, then it's bound right as far as opening the udp port goes, it may just be that whatever code reports the IP is seeing the loopback interface first and reporting that IP - check that you can connect on the lan (if possible).