PDA

View Full Version : Hidden wont run

asmodaeus
9th March 2006, 23:27
When I try to run the hidden beta, all that happens is the screen goes nlack, as if it is loading, and then it flickers back to the screen then black again, does this for a few seconds, then closes down, leving my screen messed up, as if im viewing a DVD in WideScreen mode. Can anyone help me?

Note: when I run the hidden beta again, after a few tries, my screen returns to normal.

Cyborg
9th March 2006, 23:28
specs, man, specs!

asmodaeus
9th March 2006, 23:32
2.8 gigahertz intel pentium proccessor,
Radeon X800XT 256 MB video card,
1 gig of ram,
running Windows Media Center Edition.

Half-Life 2 and Counter Strike Source run just fine at the highest settings.

Night Raider
9th March 2006, 23:35
It seems like you upped the reolution or the refresh rate too high for your monitor. I think that there is a way to work it around.

EDIT:http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_7.html

There are some commands which can only be used in the Target box of your HL2 icon, or in the 'Launch Options' box of Steam. They cannot be used in the game's console or in your autoexec.cfg file. These are referred to as 'Command Line' commands, and the most useful of these commands are:
-width [pixels] -height [pixels]: Using these two commands you can set a custom resolution in Pixel Width x Pixel Height (e.g. -width 640 –height 480 starts HL2 with 640x480 resolution). Make sure you choose a resolution supported by your monitor and with the correct ratio of width to height (usually 4:3).
-refresh [Hz]: Specifies the refresh rate the game will use upon loading. This is normally not required as your system should already use the optimal refresh rate at your chosen resolution. However if this is not the case you can force it to a specific refresh rate (e.g. -refresh 85). Make absolutely certain that the rate you are trying to apply does not exceed your monitor's capabilities otherwise you may damage your monitor - especially if you change resolutions and forget to change this option.

I'd use those commands. It may or may not be the problem, but at least we'll scratch it off the list.

asmodaeus
9th March 2006, 23:37
My Screen refresh rate is 60hertz and my resoloution is 1280x1024.

I used the commands, they did not work, and it seems that after starting the hidden beta, it messes up the screen the first time, and if i start it EXACTLY two more times, it fixes the screen. Do not know what that means. :confused:

Cyborg
9th March 2006, 23:47
im almost positive you can set game resolution through the "destination" line if you make a shortcut to The Hidden. Alternately, if you open cs:s and change the resolution there i think it will carry over to The Hidden.

khu
9th March 2006, 23:50
Definitely a resolution problem. Happens to me on any number of Source games.

Set ' -window ' in the launch options or Hidden: Source, maybe in conjunction with a few safe resolutions like 800x600, and see what that does.

asmodaeus
9th March 2006, 23:55
it works when i set it too 800x600, but only if it is windowed. if i go into video options, and try to set it to full screen, it messes up. Will I have to set my comp to 800x600 resolution manually everytime b4 I play it?

Cyborg
9th March 2006, 23:57
try lowering the refresh rates.

asmodaeus
10th March 2006, 00:03
heres a pic of the error i get when trying to revert to fullscreen from windowed.

already tried lowering refresh rates. :(

Cyborg
10th March 2006, 00:44
huh.... that looks like a very similar b1 bug. that thing was evil i tell you (AHHH SKYNET RETURNS!!!)

anyways, try reinstalling. you have the b2a update right? (there was one more update after the b2 release b2A

asmodaeus
10th March 2006, 01:28
i was running b2. I will install b2a and see if that fixes it.

asmodaeus
10th March 2006, 01:35
I uninstalled B2 and installed b2a full, and now im even worse off, it wont run in windowed mode anymore, now all it does is flash back, resize to 640x480, flash black again, then resize to my default resolution then quit out. grrrr....

EDIT: It also resizes to 640x480 whenever i open internet explorer, then when i quit IE, it resizes to default again. THIS ONLY HAPPENS WHEN STEAM IS RUNNING.

any ideas anyone?

Ging
10th March 2006, 03:01
hundreds of people run it without experiencing the issues you are - this suggests it's something at your end...

Make sure your drivers are up to date, make sure your steam gcfs are ok, if in doubt, reinstall.

Gusdor
10th March 2006, 10:29
lmao. wth have you done to ur machine?