PDA

View Full Version : IRC Channels

Ging
8th April 2005, 01:49
Not only has Rymdkejsaren setup our official IRC channel, but Xcept1 has also started a uk community channel in preparation for the launch of his community site.

The official channel can be found on:

irc.gamesurge.net
#hidden

while the uk community is at:

#hidden.uk

You'll generally find me idling in both along with some of the forum regulars. Don't always expect an answer from me, if you leave me a message I'll try and get back to you as soon as I notice it!

No doubt some of the other dev team will drop in and idle around every so often too, but no promises!

Xcept1
8th April 2005, 02:04
Thanks for the pimp. Hopefully we will be using the channel to set up some community matches. Complete with TeamSpeak and Ventrilo action :D

Doc
8th April 2005, 02:10
Groove.

9 10

irby
8th April 2005, 04:23
Weird; I can't connect to GameSurge tonight. I used to use them a while ago until I switched to EnterTheGame. :(

[DTE]Mosimo
8th April 2005, 14:14
Well I live on gamesurge already some I'm in with the gamesurge one :D

Now get to the joining people!!

Xcept1
9th April 2005, 01:48
Just to let you know, #Hidden.UK has moved to gamesurge also. Its a lot more easier to get the members in.

So if ya could Ging, update the first post and pimp! Website is being redesigned, prolly about 80% complete so far :D

Rymdkejsaren
9th April 2005, 12:19
Wait... there's 2 hidden channels on the same network? :confused:

Doc
9th April 2005, 19:11
The multiple Hidden bug! It's everywhere!

Pytagoras
9th April 2005, 20:27
I'm there and idling.. whoopee!

Rymdkejsaren
10th April 2005, 22:13
Well we're seeing some more action in #hidden now. Ging lost his auth again (Seerow mentioned something about hostmasks being wonky, dunno if that helps) and today some people actually talked about vaguely hidden-related topics! Weeee!

Come one come all! You cannot miss another exciting day in #hidden! :eek:

Ducky^
13th June 2005, 15:16
:: Waiting in the #hidden channel for someone to come help me ::

I'll start to upload the zip file for a mirror soon too, i'll keep you updated.

Skyreaper
12th August 2005, 15:34
I guess I'll just have to learn to use IRC.. See ya there, IF I can get the damn program to stay stable and not get bored of the slown pace of IRC in general. Community matches indeed, I wish.

...wow, first post in this thread for ages.

deadscott
14th October 2005, 21:47
Im there also, #hidden

Gun-Nut
31st December 2005, 11:04
wow seems empty and there is no one in #hidden.uk

Boxy
31st December 2005, 15:30
IRC channels tend to get more active on release days, I tend to be forced into them to anwser questions, get feedback and accept general praise... :cool:

Sil
26th January 2006, 17:44
Wait... there's 2 hidden channels on the same network? :confused:
Had to ask... Space emperor?

Oh, and, sorry for reviving an ancient topic.

[PCGF]mingmong
26th January 2006, 22:05
Sil, PMs. Really.

Sil
27th January 2006, 13:54
MingMong, PMS. Really.

(There are worse cases than me to pick on on these forums. Policemen stop the guys going 160 on a 60 limit before they stop the guy who's doing 68 on the same speed limit. ;) )

Demented
27th January 2006, 20:39
Does the folly in that statement even NEED to be pointed out?

MiasmicAnomie
8th February 2006, 17:17
I don't know if it would be helpful, but I figured I'd ask ...

I wrote a bot, it's got info-database type functionality, could be used to set up a faq type deal on the IRC channels.

Don't know if you need or want that, but if you do I'm willing to run it 24/7.

(bot code is available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/wmbot, have a look, the info stuff is solid).

Xcept1
15th March 2006, 02:08
well seeings as im back on the internet, would anyone still be interested in an hidden-uk community? if so i will get it back up hopefully.

M_C
15th March 2006, 03:31
Nope, not all of us live in the UK.

khu
15th March 2006, 03:45
Why not just one channel?

M_C
15th March 2006, 03:47
He's trying to be 31337 or something. ;)

Demented
15th March 2006, 05:02
Birds of a feather flock together, n00bi3. There IS a normal hidden channel, which may as well be the one hidden channel, the UK community is just there for featherflocking, and perhaps to keep talk of poorly-cooked food somewhere that non-UKers won't be bothered by it.

Ging
15th March 2006, 11:25
A) xcept's been around a while but he's been off playing soldier (just take a look at his join date kids!)
B) Obviously this was aimed more at uk players, so if you're not from the uk, no need to reply.

The.ViruS
15th March 2006, 12:57
I would be interested. I attempted to get one started using the domain name http://hiddenites.co.uk. I will definatley be interested. PM me or something I wont be here till friday due to a funeral but yea.

Xcept1
15th March 2006, 17:08
Birds of a feather flock together, n00bi3. There IS a normal hidden channel, which may as well be the one hidden channel, the UK community is just there for featherflocking, and perhaps to keep talk of poorly-cooked food somewhere that non-UKers won't be bothered by it.

just as well we wont have you ****ing ruining it then aye

M_C
15th March 2006, 19:03
Way to be inclusive. ;)

Demented
15th March 2006, 21:35
just as well we wont have you ****ing ruining it then aye

Aye.

The IRC looked kind of dead when I took a 15-second gander. Maybe there ought to be compulsory IRC attendance for forum-goers? No, I've no idea how that'd work, but every time I look at a mod's IRC channel, it's dead.

Boxy
16th March 2006, 17:28
No one really uses IRC anymore do they? I certainly dont, hell I never really did. Outmoded concept etc, etc. Only go on there around release day to talk to server boffins and try and help them out (as much as a non-coder can)

Ging
16th March 2006, 17:58
Yeah, mod IRC channels tend to only kick off around release time. But I wouldn't call IRC outdated - it works just as well as MSN, if not better for communication between a group of people. Not all of us are voice comm whores box :p

MiasmicAnomie
16th March 2006, 18:07
I wouldn't even call the concept outmoded. IM is just IRC done not quite as well in some respects and better in others (e.g., some IM clients allow voice), wrapped in pretty graphical clients.

I mean, IRC had file transfers, etc. before there were any IM clients.

(of course, I'm a 'fire up screen and ircii and idle forever' guy, so pretty graphics don't mean a lot to me, at least as far as net-chat apps go :) )

Boxy
16th March 2006, 18:50
Jesus, didnt think id upset people that much. Not a voice whore either, its just nice to actually TALK to people rather than type all the time and its much faster to get stuff done. End of.

MiasmicAnomie
16th March 2006, 19:24
Oh, I'm not upset. No Worries. :)

Ging
16th March 2006, 20:05
I am upset though - all I hear is boxy gibbering to his girlfriends... erm, colleagues... :p

Sonic
16th March 2006, 22:08
I wouldn't even call the concept outmoded. IM is just IRC done not quite as well in some respects and better in others (e.g., some IM clients allow voice), wrapped in pretty graphical clients.

I kinda hate how a lot of companies make their programs pretty so stupid people won't realize how much they suck. I hate it even more when you realize that you were stupid enough to fall for it.

mf-
1st May 2006, 13:57
Joining right now :)

Rymdkejsaren
2nd May 2006, 16:01
The Hidden IRC channel tends only to fill up around release, yes. It takes a while to build up a channel that's lively all the time, but they definately exist. The Neotokyo HL2 mod channel has 30+ people in it at most times and a lot of conversation going on, but that's been around for a long time dating back to when they released their mod for UT2k4.

Simply, things don't happen over night. Also, if you just drop by for 15 seconds then leave, likely you will not catch any conversation, nor will anyone have time to reply to things you might say. I for one idle in the channel whenever I am online (which is a lot of the time), and check in on it every now and again to see if I want to participate in any conversation that may have come up.

I log into several busy IRC channels every day, and saying that IRC is outmoded is clearly uninformed. A lot of people use IRC, it's a useful tool for gaming clans and all kinds of communities that can not meet up in real life. Our clan has an IRC channel which is busy most of the time, at least during normal EU waking hours. Of course, we've been around for the better part of 10 years, which is more than you can say for your average gaming clan.

Chas0r
2nd May 2006, 18:50
I log into several busy IRC channels every day, and saying that IRC is outmoded is clearly uninformed.
IRC is just Multiplayer-Notepad :)

Rymdkejsaren
3rd May 2006, 16:56
See how appealing that sounds? :D

Kirill
20th May 2006, 18:06
#Hidden.IL @ Quakenet
:)

chilly
24th May 2006, 22:39
For those on quakenet who are not involved with the Israeli hidden scene - #primefarm on qnet has a few idlers and I am always in there as me or my msg bot.

miteyMite
3rd September 2006, 19:00
IRC differs from other IM protocals, except for Jabber I belive, in that it has a public RFC standard.

If you don't think IRC is good for communication then stop by #gaim or #ubuntu on the Freenode IRC network sometime. Both these are project/help channels and you'll see a lot getting done.

Anyways... what happened to #hidden on GameSurge? No one ever joins or talks there.

[Rapid-Fire]
15th December 2006, 07:40
I'll idle.

Rymdkejsaren
4th February 2007, 22:52
Anyways... what happened to #hidden on GameSurge? No one ever joins or talks there.

Well, it's still there, I'm still there. Most of the time, not a lot of talking going on but we seem to have 10-15 regulars now.

Silent regulars... D: