PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Hidden: Source Server With SteamCMD

Claybro
20th October 2013, 22:47
After Steam decided to move all their games to the SteamPipe content system, all Hidden server were giving users the "Steam Validation Rejected" error which resulted in most Hidden servers being empty. The update is slowing rolling out for all Steam users. Updating servers to SteamCMD fixes this.

This guide is for Windows only. I might post a Linux guide when I get the time but it is relatively the same.

1) Download SteamCMD (https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD) for your respective system.
Extract and run it. This will download all needed files.
Double click on Windows.

2) When you see the "Steam>" prompt type in the following:
login anonymous
You can also log in using your own Steam account but that isn't necessary.
force_install_dir <path>
In this case we will be using C:/srcds as the path.

3) Installing SRCDS (205) and Source SDK Base 2006 (215).
In the Steam> prompt type:
app_update 205 validate
then after it has completed:
app_update 215 validate

4) Download Beta 4b Dedicated Server Package (http://www.hidden-source.com/downloads/hsb4b-full.zip) and Beta 4b Dedicated Server Update 1 (http://www.hidden-source.com/downloads/hidden-beta4b1-server.zip) and extract it into your srcds folder. Extract the fix last.
If you already have a hidden server just copy the hidden folder to your SRCDS installation folder.

5) WE READY!
Type quit in the Steam> promt.
Open CMD and cd to your SRCDS installation folder (C:/srcds in our case)
cd C:/srcds
Type in srcds.exe -console -game hidden +map hdn_docks -maxplayers 9 -autoupdate

ATTN:
Regarding users being able to connect to the Hidden server but not being able to see it in the server list, this seemed to have worked for me when I updated.
Enter this in your server.cfg file

sv_master_legacy_mode 0
setmaster remove hl2master.steampowered.com:27011
setmaster remove hl2master.steampowered.com:27015
setmaster add hl2master.steampowered.com:27011
setmaster add hl2master.steampowered.com:27015
heartbeat

and this as your launch parameters for your server:

-verify_all -retry

This Steam update was a bad idea.

iammitch
20th October 2013, 23:00
As it is, you can't install the SDK Base 2006 on Linux, as it gives this:

Steam>app_update 215 validate
ERROR! Failed to install app '215' (Invalid platform)

I'll have a play around, and see if I can get it working.

Claybro
20th October 2013, 23:06
As it is, you can't install the SDK Base 2006 on Linux, as it gives this:

Steam>app_update 215 validate
ERROR! Failed to install app '215' (Invalid platform)

I'll have a play around, and see if I can get it working.

I was getting that same error. It seems like Source SDK 2006 has not been ported for Linux.
http://forums.blackmesasource.com/showthread.php?t=15414
http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/864958451708004149/

phit
21st October 2013, 00:44
so for the majority of the servers no fix since it isn't updated fo linux, great...

also i tried appid 205 Source Dedicated Server (http://steamdb.info/app/205/#section_info) on linux, the server starts with no errors but users can't connect either with or without the update

J Wall
21st October 2013, 01:23
It's unfortunate that this has happened, I suppose all we can really hope for right now is that Valve get a Linux fix out ASAP.

o_O
21st October 2013, 05:18
It's unfortunate that this has happened, I suppose all we can really hope for right now is that Valve get a Linux fix out ASAP.

I hope Valve fixes the Update...

I dont get it why Valve is touching a 7 years old Engine it was totally okay in my opinion..

Paegus
21st October 2013, 12:52
OSX support?

Claybro
21st October 2013, 19:00
OSX support?

I would put one up, but I've never hosted a server or used OSX.

Paegus
22nd October 2013, 11:51
I meant that one of the reasons valve would screw with a 7 year old version of the engine was to provide osx support... as in you should be able to play and host using a mac.

Doesn't resolve the lack of a linux port though... which is odd since they're touting their SteamOS which is/will be linux based.

Cpt. Bread
22nd October 2013, 15:58
The reason they updated the SDK Base was to move it from their old content system to steam pipe. Over the last months they have been moving more and more games over and the different SDK Base stuff is probably the some of the last.

They don't want to keep the old system as it would mean maintaining two different systems instead of just one.

o_O
22nd October 2013, 18:21
Half true.. they are going to put them together all SDK's

AndyDemon
30th October 2013, 02:08
could use a linux version of this .-. if this fixes the steam validation rejected thing .-.

phit
30th October 2013, 18:08
could use a linux version of this .-. if this fixes the steam validation rejected thing .-.

did you even read the posts in this thread?

iammitch
31st October 2013, 03:09
Looks like the issue (For linux servers) has been noticed by Valve (For one of the SDK's at least):
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/2945

xXG4∑3RXx
31st October 2013, 08:16
uninstalled source sdk 2006 and i'm on 59.5 / 60 GB, sometimes i just hate aussie internet

Red
3rd November 2013, 22:24
Mkay so, I already posted a topic on this but I did everything on my server with this so I was wondering if you had a solution.

So here's the issue:
My server which I named "-Red#1|PS=OFF|Weighted|FF=ON-" shows on the master server list along with all the other servers, I followed every step you gave and it all works except for one thing. When users attempt to connect up to the server they receive the following error message, " Your Version Does Not Match the Servers, Please Restart the Game." Would you know of any way to fix this? I've wasted so much time trying to figure it out and I'm... slightly frustrated.

Additional info: I'm running it out of my house, Kylar said this may be why it's not working and I'd have to have the server be hosted. Frankly I'd prefer not to

Eart2Luke
20th November 2013, 08:56
Servers weren't showing up in my server list for a while, but that seems to have resolved itself. Since this update, I stopped bothering with Hidden: Source for a while, and then I saw this thread. I've done everything on here to a perfect-T. The server runs, and the console looks as if everything is dandy. Keep in mind, I've been running a Hidden server for a while now, so no problems before. But now, I cannot connect to my own server, let alone even see it in the public server list. My ports are opened properly, my IP address hasn't changed, everything is the same as it was before the update. Instead of being able to join, I am presented with a "STEAM Validation Rejected" note. Investigated a bit more, and was told by several forums that It was recommended that I delete my 'ClientRegistry.blob' which I have done. Still, the same error is displayed. Anyone have any idea how my problem/problems can be solved? Did I set my server up correctly? Am I missing something?
NOTE: I don't believe it's Client-side, but more Server-side because I have no problem joining other servers.

SOLVED: Just did it completely from scratch. Something from my old hidden server files was interfering with it.

iammitch
27th November 2013, 23:05
Noticed this variation between a Linux DS, and a Windows DS.

Linux Dedicated Server (via HLDSDownloadTool)
----------------------
hostname: Mitch's Hidden Server (Testing)
version : 1.0.1.0/7 [B]4100 insecure
udp/ip : 127.0.0.1:27015
map : hdn_docks at: 0 x, 0 y, 0 z
players : 0 (9 max)

Windows Dedicated Server (via SteamCMD)
------------------------
hostname: Mitch's Hidden Server [WinTest]
version : 1.0.1.0/7 4044 secure
udp/ip : 127.0.0.1:27015
map : hdn_highrise at: 0 x, 0 y, 0 z
players : 0 (9 max)

Not sure if it's relevant to the issues that we've got, just something that I noticed.

surrealentity
29th November 2013, 13:37
After Steam decided to move all their games to the SteamPipe content system, all Hidden server were giving users the "Steam Validation Rejected" error which resulted in most Hidden servers being empty. The update is slowing rolling out for all Steam users. Updating servers to SteamCMD fixes this.

This guide is for Windows only. I might post a Linux guide when I get the time but it is relatively the same.

1) Download SteamCMD (https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD) for your respective system.
Extract and run it. This will download all needed files.
Double click on Windows.

2) When you see the "Steam>" prompt type in the following:
login anonymous
You can also log in using your own Steam account but that isn't necessary.
force_install_dir <path>
In this case we will be using C:/srcds as the path.

3) Installing SRCDS (205) and Source SDK Base 2006 (215).
In the Steam> prompt type:
app_update 205 validate
then after it has completed:
app_update 215 validate

4) Download Beta 4b Dedicated Server Package (http://www.hidden-source.com/downloads/hsb4b-full.zip) and Beta 4b Dedicated Server Update 1 (http://www.hidden-source.com/downloads/hidden-beta4b1-server.zip) and extract it into your srcds folder. Extract the fix last.
If you already have a hidden server just copy the hidden folder to your SRCDS installation folder.

5) WE READY!
Type quit in the Steam> promt.
Open CMD and cd to your SRCDS installation folder (C:/srcds in our case)
cd C:/srcds
Type in srcds.exe -console -game hidden +map hdn_docks -maxplayers 9 -autoupdate

This Steam update was a bad idea.

I made the server. Followed every instruction on here, I even played on my own server. But the problems I've ran into are as follows:
I cannot change my map, with out SRCDs crashing.
The server is not coming up on the server browser.
I tried to change the host name to "Surreal Entity's Server," that didn't work.
If you can help me, that'd be very much appreciated.

JoshJ5Hawk
5th December 2013, 16:38
After following all of the steps here, I end up with this when stating a server
http://i.imgur.com/nrr6hmt.jpg
My friends are unable to see or join and it doesn't show up in the master server list, any ideas guys?

iammitch
5th December 2013, 22:40
Check and make sure that srcds is allowed through the firewall, I'm guessing that the game server's running on a Windows server, which has a very restrictive firewall by default.

JoshJ5Hawk
6th December 2013, 17:03
Heh, I didn't think about that. I just did the "Throw server PC on DMZ forget ports". Which works in most cases, will try firewall then update.

JoshJ5Hawk
6th December 2013, 17:17
Heh, I didn't think about that. I just did the "Throw server PC on DMZ forget ports". Which works in most cases, will try firewall then update.

Looks like it was still no go when allowing it through the firewall (even tried turning it off) and I was getting the same error. Any other thoughts friends?

iammitch
7th December 2013, 10:29
Looks like it was still no go when allowing it through the firewall (even tried turning it off) and I was getting the same error. Any other thoughts friends?

How are you starting up the server, what command line arguments are you using? Where is it being ran from (IE: Home or a Dedicated Server)?

Paegus
7th December 2013, 12:53
His network settings are visible. The server port is 27015 but his lan IP looks like it's being dynamically assigned by DHCP which most routers will laugh at when you try to forward a port to it. Dynamically assigned address are volatile by their nature so forwarding rules will usually ignore them.

You need to do one of the following:
1. Get a router that allows forwarding of ports to a named computer instead of just forwarding to whatever IP address you've been automatically given. These are not very common and when the option is there, it's not very reliable.
2. Get a router that lets you set up DHCP reservations so a given computer is always given the same address. These are fairly common these days. Heck even Virgin media's shitty SuperHub lets you do it.
3. Manually set your computer's LAN IP to something OUTSIDE the router's existing DHCP address pool. Router can be crap. This will never fail you... Unless you're using a router that's attached to a modem that is also a router. But that just a matter of rinse and repeat.

JoshJ5Hawk
7th December 2013, 19:49
How are you starting up the server, what command line arguments are you using? Where is it being ran from (IE: Home or a Dedicated Server)?

I am just using the command as stated in the OP, trying to get it working before I start messing with params:
srcds.exe -console -game hidden +map hdn_docks -maxplayers 9 -autoupdate
and the server is actually both, it's a dedicated server, at home.

His network settings are visible. The server port is 27015 but his lan IP looks like it's being dynamically assigned by DHCP which most routers will laugh at when you try to forward a port to it. Dynamically assigned address are volatile by their nature so forwarding rules will usually ignore them.

1. Get a router that allows forwarding of ports to a named computer instead of just forwarding to whatever IP address you've been automatically given. These are not very common and when the option is there, it's not very reliable.
2. Get a router that lets you set up DHCP reservations so a given computer is always given the same address. These are fairly common these days. Heck even Virgin media's shitty SuperHub lets you do it.
3. Manually set your computer's LAN IP to something OUTSIDE the router's existing DHCP address pool. Router can be crap. This will never fail you... Unless you're using a router that's attached to a modem that is also a router. But that just a matter of rinse and repeat.

I'll have to give that a shot, I've never actually had that issue before so I'll give that a shot, thanks for all the help!

JoshJ5Hawk
7th December 2013, 19:53

I am just using the command as stated in the OP, trying to get it working before I start messing with params:
srcds.exe -console -game hidden +map hdn_docks -maxplayers 9 -autoupdate
and the server is actually both, it's a dedicated server, at home.

I'll have to give that a shot, I've never actually had that issue before so I'll give that a shot, thanks for all the help!

JoshJ5Hawk
7th December 2013, 20:01
Tried giving the server a static IP (and removed the second ethernet cable to make sure it wasn't being a pain.
http://i.imgur.com/bgZkT66.png
Any other thoughts?

JLopez755
8th March 2014, 10:34
Has this worked for anyone lately I see these are old posts I'm actually trying to make a server but I keep getting "Your version does not match the servers, please restart the game." I've looked everywhere for a solution but nothing. Has anyone found a solution to this? Can anyone help me? I have tried everything in this thread and many others but no luck. Anyone willing to help? Thanks

iammitch
9th March 2014, 00:45
Installing the server on a Windows server, or a Linux server?

Linux server's still don't work, as there's (still) no updated srcds binary available yet. They keep updating the server package (http://steamdb.info/app/205/), but it's never for Linux.. :(