PDA

View Full Version : Creating a New Server for begginers

bitas12
1st July 2013, 21:23
What's up everyone. I'm a complete begginer at this and I was looking forward to play The Hidden with some friends from Steam (so without being interrupted by others players).

I don't know how to create a server to play with my friends and I was hoping that you guys could maybe give me a hand with this.

Thanks in advance

iammitch
1st July 2013, 22:47
You might want to take a look at this thread (http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?9679-Windows-amp-Linux-Server-Guide&p=135836#post135836), it should go over everything you'd need to know.

bitas12
2nd July 2013, 14:47
ok I did everything until step 1.1 (for Windows). This black and white window appears saying, at the end, among other stuff, "Connection to Steam servers successful"

How do I go from here? I don't understand what's next. I suppose I have a server running right now but how do I join it? and how do my friends join it?

iammitch
5th July 2013, 03:08
ok I did everything until step 1.1 (for Windows). This black and white window appears saying, at the end, among other stuff, "Connection to Steam servers successful"

How do I go from here? I don't understand what's next. I suppose I have a server running right now but how do I join it? and how do my friends join it?

If you read more of the thread I linked, it'll cover some more things about setting it up (I won't go into super specific detail here, since it's all written there).

If you're running this server from your home network (Not a dedicated server that has a publicly accessible IP address), you'll need to port-forward the required ports to get it working. One of the more recent articles on that page covers this.

In regards to being able to see the server, there's this article (http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?11093-Potential-fix-for-server-not-showing-up-in-server-browser) that you can follow to make it appear in the server browser (I'm not 100% sure if Windows machines have the same problems that the Linux boxes do for not appearing in the server browser, but I would assume so).