PDA

View Full Version : Hidden is totally invisible?

TheSilverDragon116
11th June 2013, 00:43
Brand new to these forums and surfed everywhere but not found a solution to my problem, so I hope you can help me.

Recently solved an issue that I've been having with mouse lag (It'd been running smoothly for months, ping was fine but the game lagged majorly when I moved the mouse) by clearing out all Source SDK folders and reinstalling Source SDK Base and Source SDK 2006 + 2007. However, whilst trying to solve this beforehand I played around with the console, and I think I've done something to affect the visibility of the Hidden himself, or maybe the textures.

Sure, the Hidden is meant to be invisible, but we're meant to see a "heatwave" effect if he's moving around, and I can't see anything at all. When I become the Hidden, the view is completely clear, and not "wavy" like it's supposed to be.

It might just be a matter of entering a command but I've looked everywhere and I have no clue what it is (if there is one). If you need my laptop's specs for any reason then let me know. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Paegus
11th June 2013, 06:34
What directx version are you running?

Paegus
11th June 2013, 06:56
What directx version are you running?

TheSilverDragon116
11th June 2013, 07:17
I'm running DX9. I haven't changed anything about the game, I could see the Hidden as a "heatwave" before I messed with the console. I just don't know how to turn it back :/ thanks for the reply

ado921
11th June 2013, 22:31
After I reinstalled hidden on my new computer, I had my view set to clear as a personal preference, because before it was the same as the adrenaline overlay (possible a bug, if I bothered to reinstall I could confirm).

Anyways, for the overlay part, go into your options, and click on the Multiplayer tab and see if it is enabled (may be slightly wrong on the location of that setting, apologies if it's incorrect, but it is somewhere easily seen in options).

If it is enabled, but the overlay is still not showing up, then try a complete reinstalling of the The Hidden mod. To do this you will need to delete all the content in the Hidden related folders in your Steam\SteamApps\sourcemods folder. Reinstall the Hidden from one of the available distributors (I've always used ModDB, it is your choice though).

If any problems still persist afterwards, feel free to ask us about them.

TheSilverDragon116
11th June 2013, 23:41
Thank you for the reply, however I have re-installed The Hidden 3 times and it's still the same. The overlay is enabled, and the 3 times that I re-installed I did what you suggested and deleted anything related to The Hidden in and out of the Steam folders. He is still invisible - I even set up a LAN server using Hamachi and asked my friend to stand in front of me when he was Hidden - couldn't see anything unless my Laser sight reflected off him, even when he moved around.

Sadly, the mouse lag has also returned, so any advice on that would be great too. This game was running fine for months, now when I move the mouse I get major audio and visual lag. My laptop is more than capable of running it (if you need specs let me know) and my Ping is fine. Again I have searched and searched for an answer or a fix but to no avail. These two problems together have now made the game unplayable, which more than annoys me because I love to play it - even had a series going on Youtube.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have

Zoeo
12th June 2013, 01:55
About the mouse lag, did you try This (http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?11628-Hidden-game-lags-only-when-I-move-my-mouse-around-at-the-menu-and-in-game)?

TheSilverDragon116
12th June 2013, 08:07
About the mouse lag, did you try This (http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?11628-Hidden-game-lags-only-when-I-move-my-mouse-around-at-the-menu-and-in-game)?

I did try that. I did have SweetIM installed but uninstalling it made no difference. The funny thing is that Goldeneye: Source is also lagging in this way, which is what lead me to believe that it may be linked to Source SDK. But alas, re-installing (after deleting the folders too) did nothing either. I have no idea what else to do :(

TheSilverDragon116
12th June 2013, 17:36
I have tried that unfortunately. What's funny (sarcasm) is that Goldeneye: Source has also started acting up, in the same way. It's just the Source mods, and I don't know why.

ado921
12th June 2013, 21:48
Have you've tryed(lolspelling) validating, defragmenting, or even reinstalling Source SDK 2006? If you need to reinstall it, delete all Hidden content and Source SDK 2006 content, install Source SDK 2006, run it, then install Hidden. If the mouse lag persists, we have several threads for it. Look through those, and if you cannot find the solution, we will troubleshoot more.

TheSilverDragon116
12th June 2013, 22:42
I'd already tried the re-install, so I defragmented and validated, but the problem still prevails. I ran the video test too in Source SDK 2006 - everything was smooth as hell, and it said my average framerate was 108.77fps. I had a good search through the forums and tried everything before posting here. Sorry to be a pain, thanks for the help so far. I would really love to get this fixed ^^

Still not found a fix for the Hidden's "total invisibility" problem either. When I joined a match to test out the mouse lag, I couldn't see the Hidden at all (not even an outline) when he was carrying something in front of the camera.

ado921
12th June 2013, 23:48
No worries mate, here in the forums, as long as you don't type with capslock speaking like a ignorant buffoon we will always enjoy solving problems; it gives us a solution that we can use in the future. Regarding your issues with Hidden, can you play other Source games fine, like Left 4 Dead, Half Life: Source, etc?

Zoeo
13th June 2013, 01:31
I wonder if when you messed with the console you some how deleted the "Heat Wave" affect on the hidden, without that effect the hidden is completely invisible, the effect is the only thing making him somewhat visible.

On maps that have vents do you see the Steam/Heat Wave effect?

TheSilverDragon116
13th June 2013, 10:22
I have L4D2 and Half-Life 2, and they both play fine.

In response to Zoeo, that's what I think too - I don't see the heatwave effect when I look at the vents anymore either, it just looks like smoke/steam.

[TSAT]Flow
13th June 2013, 10:40
What does your console say when you enter "mat_dx level"?
If it's anything other than 90, "mat_dx level 90" should fix your visibility problems.

TheSilverDragon116
13th June 2013, 10:53
Yes that was it! Thank you so much Flow ^^
Turned out that it said "mat_dxlevel 80" when I typed it in, when I changed it to 90 I could see him on the cameras again. Thank you :D

Now it's just the mouse lag that needs solving...do you want me to start a new thread for that, or keep replying here?

[TSAT]Flow
13th June 2013, 12:40
V-Sync likes to cause mouse lag if you're having slight performance issues, so disabling that might fix it.

TheSilverDragon116
13th June 2013, 12:51
Tried that I'm afraid, it made no difference - plus I've been playing this game with v-sync on for months, and it was completely smooth and fine.

Zoeo
13th June 2013, 13:53
When did you start seeing mouse lag?

Think back to a time when it was working, and then think about what you did from the time that it was working to next time it wasn't working, and try to undo it like maybe a download or something else.

TheSilverDragon116
13th June 2013, 14:20
It only started lagging about a week or two ago. Me and a couple of friends made a LAN server through Hamachi. At first the lag was playable, but now it's totally unplayable as it cuts audio as well as video whenever I move the mouse. I did also connect my Microsoft Lifecam up to the laptop for the first time in a while. Surely Hamachi couldn't have caused the problem though? :/

Zoeo
13th June 2013, 14:28
Hamachi has caused problems for me in the past, a LOT of problems, it steals internet, makes listening to music online impossible, and lags games, did you install Hamachi to play with your friends? Or has it been there before?

TheSilverDragon116
13th June 2013, 16:20
Had Hamachi on my laptop since before I installed The Hidden. Thing is, even when it's off I get the mouse lag. Plus, both my friends have Hamachi (one with an old laptop that can only just run the game) and their games aren't having the problem.