PDA

View Full Version : the hidden in the final frontier ?

thermodynamic
29th August 2011, 03:36
ok i may be rather new to the hidden and even newer to mapping but i have decided to make you gys a new map
set on a infinitum reserch space station, just happens to include a few zero gravity areas for props and bodies

still got a few rooms to do for it like the hydroponics and a lab. airlock and storage are mainly done, yes you can vent the airlock.
the station is riddled with vents for the sake of my horrible layouts
probly be finished in a 2 weeks or so will have screenshots up soon

im hoping to make something that is eyecandy and a great level to play

i will add more screenshots as i feel i have finished the rooms. and the textures are nto finialised either so this probly wont be the final look

Zabiela
30th August 2011, 03:20
Sounds pretty cool, keep it going.

One question- have you considered potentially game-breaking situations in the zero gravity zones? I picture iris camping the corners in 0-g and the hidden not being able to approach them properly. Since you need to be on the ground to pounce, it might be impossible to maneuver correctly in 0-g.

Looking forward to screenshots.

Paegus
30th August 2011, 08:19
if you can mute the ladder sound, you could coat the walls in ladder texture and then in a marine_clip so marines can't grab the ladder. then the hidden can pounce from ladder to ladder?

also, correct me if i'm wrong but props respect the overall gravity, not momentary sections there of... is it now possible to have them react correctly to a zero-g section of an overall gravity-ied map?

too bad source doesn't let you set arbitrary gravity levels & directions per-room ala prey or whatever. A proper rotating space station would be neat.

esrever321
31st August 2011, 00:11
I've had a go on his map and I believe he said that having low-grav that effects clients doesn't seem to work very well so it only effects phys-objects.
Ice could probably set it so when your map starts, the server is automatically set to something like 400 grav instead of 800 but have to see how that works.
I really love how objects are just floting around the map. If you can, thermo, in the places that are set to 0 object gravity, have them spawn in the air instead of on the ground so the hidden can jump into the air and grab them or pounce off them. :D

thermodynamic
31st August 2011, 00:29
indeed you are wrong zabeila the vPhysiscs_motion trigger allows you to alter the gravity of entitys within the trigger giving the no gravity effect. entry to areas affected by this trigger are marked by a blue field you cant miss. also all vents are no gravity.
and for the purpose of the hidden im making no gravity props only. cause the triggers a little screwy with players.

Colonel Mustard
31st August 2011, 06:59
indeed you are wrong zabeila

zabeila, you are indeed wrong, there is no doubt about it

-SM-SUCKER
31st August 2011, 14:10
What happens to props which spawn in a zero-g part of the map, and are then moved to a section with gravity and vice versa?

Ice1
31st August 2011, 16:57
I've had a go on his map and I believe he said that having low-grav that effects clients doesn't seem to work very well so it only effects phys-objects.
Ice could probably set it so when your map starts, the server is automatically set to something like 400 grav instead of 800 but have to see how that works.
I really love how objects are just floting around the map. If you can, thermo, in the places that are set to 0 object gravity, have them spawn in the air instead of on the ground so the hidden can jump into the air and grab them or pounce off them. :D

I could quickly make a script that would do this, wouldnt take long, but of course the script would be for sourcemod only, which most servers run anyway.

Anyway in regards to the map, You've got to add more detail or make the textures softer on the eyes, besides the central object the rest could be from a map in doom 3D, no offense. The reason I say this is because the textures are extremely repetitive, so try to find more interesting textures to use, also all maps start about that stage, its finding stuff to do to the architecture that is what makes a good looking map, theres plenty of tutorials on youtube and mapping websites on how to do this (look for any mod, the same techniques can be applied to any mod for source). If you want to alpha test the map, to see how it plays and stuff thats okay, but use dev textures or place holder textures instead so that I dont get dizzy :P

thermodynamic
31st August 2011, 22:45
indeed ice the textures are very bad atm but it is far from what i want it to be in terms of looks but i assure you its going to be a lot better once i finish the things i have in mind.

zabeila if a prop starts in a normal gravity enviroment and is throwen into the low gravity area it immediatly becomes a space style floaty and if it is throwen out of it it imeeditaly becomes subject to the laws of gravity. quite funny to watch an iris corpse get pullsed out of the low gravity area becasue its foot became affected by gravity.
on that note the WHOLE propmust exit the trigger in order ot become normal it only takes a tiny bit in it to be affected by it. this does not go for ragdolls.

note task for today is hydroponics style room less cover but also less visability.

as a note the predator style lightbending is more effective in a jungle style enviroment urban areas tend to not be as good for such camo effects. seems true for the hidden as i tested with my greenhouse in hdn_apartment.

wil post a badly textured screen shot later XD

thermodynamic
18th October 2011, 10:38
sorry guys nut cant finish this till i get my computer fixed the charger port got screwed by my little brother

so

once done ima make you guys a 6 pack of mad maps
amongst which are a roman style arena full of stone things a condemed mall

my very own slice of insanity a house in which doors change where they come out
going to aim for just after christmas but cant do it till my puter gets fixed

all are welcome to join me on xbox though tag is thermodynamic77

may your knifes reap a heavy bounty

thermo out

-SM-SUCKER
18th October 2011, 11:12
Interesting ideas, but you should concentrate on finishing one map first. Because the finishing is the part that takes time and is less fun. Still it is essential work which has to be done.

[TSAT]Flow
18th October 2011, 11:21
a house in which doors change where they come out

I think I love you.

thermodynamic
19th October 2011, 09:29
Hdn space is near done mostly just textures and such left

And :) my iPod can post here

Sadly they don't have a steam app that let's you chat to friends

List of my map ideas so far
Roman maze arena
A modern day floating pirate base made from assorted ships
A insane house with random doors
A condemned mall
A underground forest used by the Infinitum research

Youguys can suggest the last one I'll make the one with most votes
Or it's going to be a tribal village in a swamp

Cheers

-SM-SUCKER
19th October 2011, 13:20
My vote is for random doors.
Is that even possible in source?

Paegus
19th October 2011, 13:44
I made a CSS map like this once ages ago and I'm sure there's a Matrix based map or 50 that do similar things.

Lacking the prettiness and functionality of the Portal front-end, you wont be able to do any Adjustment Bureau rip-offs but the overall principle is still quite possible using teleport triggering func_illusions as the texture behind the door. The transitions will suck even if you recreate the geometry and somehow manage to mimic the lighting of the exit portal behind the entry. You wont be able to see dynamic entities on the other side... like other players.

Having it be random makes mimicking exit point geometry next to impossible since entities dont light the same and any world geometry will need to be entity based so it can be swapped out as the door changes. A generic "I'm a teleporter" texture would be the way to go or the texture could change depending on where it's going. A screenshot of the exit point perhaps.

thermodynamic
20th October 2011, 09:39
The doors are most likely going to have some sort of water texture or such type cover so you can't see when you teleport as opposed to knowing where it comes. I want it to be a test your luck kinda thing

The randomness will probably be just a alternation every 5 sec or so

Giving a semi random effect

And for the map I'm making all above maps you get to pick a completely new one
So get imaginative I love a challenge ;)

Paegus
20th October 2011, 12:31
Why not really screw with people:
First build the map completely normally without any magic doorways, making the map playable as is.
Add triggers to a given set of internal doorways that give say a 1 in 8 chance of triggering a teleport.
The exit point can then be chosen randomly from a given set of the available doorways.

That way the entire squad could go charging through a door and 1 of them will probably disappear...

thermodynamic
20th October 2011, 22:14
Seems like a good idea

Zabiela
21st October 2011, 00:23
Too bad you can't use the Portal 2 engine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=PtlSoBv6r2Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAkKKShGluE

Arnold
21st October 2011, 19:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOdt01XlEA8&feature=feedrec_grec_index

Paegus
22nd October 2011, 21:03
I'd hate to see the map file size if that big room was full of individually shoot-able lights. It's already 2^3 light maps for just those 3.

thermodynamic
22nd October 2011, 22:14
Found out shootable lights are bad as a separate lightmap is generated for EVERY possible combination of lights
Making file sizes big an compile times longer
I may include a few in the mall cause it's a fun idea

Arnold
23rd October 2011, 09:01
i thought it was dynamic light entity

thermodynamic
23rd October 2011, 10:13
LIght entitys tend to be expensive to render either ingame or in the compile based on type

This also explains why so few of those things exist within maps
The limit the rest of the map either in speed or large downloads

Named lights are also limited to no more than 2 different named lights per surface an no more than 32 named lights total this with the increased compile times tend to put Ppl off using a whole lot of them

thermodynamic
24th October 2011, 11:52
Earlist I can start making these maps is December