PDA

View Full Version : Shiny forum update

Ging
30th July 2011, 04:35
So I've gone ahead and spent the last 2 hours of my life (essentially), updating the forum software from Vbulletin 3.something to 4.something.

Everything should work the same or better, except the custom theme, which is broken and won't work at all - other than that, let me know if anything strange crops up.

Ice1
30th July 2011, 04:44
Ooooh shiny, do like. For a second there when the forum wouldn't load I thought oh no, forums are down, but this is a nice surprise :D Thanks Ging! :D

-SM-SUCKER
30th July 2011, 07:36
Shiny it is... thanks for the update.
Will the custom theme have a comeback? I liked it very much.

And Ice: I'd be happy to see the forums crashing, because this could mean B5 is out and the forum is just overloaded.

Boxy
30th July 2011, 09:33
It's different now, everythings different. It feels alien but I like it, it's actually a nice default skin to be honest. We probably need to do a new custom skin or two anyway, just a case of learning what we can change in this new version.

Paegus
30th July 2011, 10:32
Ya the new version does look quit good tbh. Can the new custom be kept similarly clean/minimalist?:

Ging
30th July 2011, 11:24
We probably need to do a new custom skin or two anyway, just a case of learning what we can change in this new version.

That's pretty much my thinking.

Vilham
30th July 2011, 12:36
the old custom skin rarely worked for me anyway.

Ging
30th July 2011, 14:41
It got done fairly early on, then never got updated to match with new features in later versions of the forum software - so it was missing graphics and all sorts. Probably a good thing it was never made the default.

lcpuche
30th July 2011, 19:56
I like it... However, no quick reply?

Ging
30th July 2011, 20:28
quick reply is now enabled - though you need to click the "reply" button.

Colonel Mustard
30th July 2011, 23:47
Lol I actually thought I was on the wrong forums untill I saw all of the categories

Paegus
3rd August 2011, 11:37
Is there any way to get the 'mobile' style to actually view threads? it just sits there with the loading object in either desktop or on my mobile but no signs of data actually being loaded. :(

the swipy action is vaguely cool, if not a bit over-used

i presume both the existing styles are included by default though so...

Ging
3rd August 2011, 13:24
I've been able to view threads with the mobile style on my phone, not tried on the desktop.

Paegus
3rd August 2011, 14:20
hmm... it just sits there with the loading thingy spinning away but no network traffic :/

guess i'll have to try an alternate browser...

Ging
3rd August 2011, 15:28
Just gave it a go in chrome and I got that behaviour, but it's ok in safari on the iphone. What phone have you tried it on?

Paegus
3rd August 2011, 16:28
Phone: Android gingerbread, default browser & FireFox
Desktop: Firefox 5

Could try some other browsers I guess but meh...

Sparks
4th August 2011, 00:20
Forum update? :\
Are we ever gonna see B5?

Ging
4th August 2011, 00:35
Not if you carry on with that there negative attitude.

Paegus
4th August 2011, 07:04
hmm it's doing it with every browser on the platform.

Can anyone else use an android phone to access the forum using the mobile theme?

-SM-SUCKER
4th August 2011, 07:11
Same here: Samsung Dolfin browser2.2
Stuck on the loading screen when either trying to login or accessing some sub-forum. The forum overview loads correctly.

JimmyDeemo
4th August 2011, 19:57
This might sound like a stupid question but what visual cue is there that a forum thread has unread messages in it from the last time you logged in?

Paegus
4th August 2011, 20:17
There should be a guide at the bottom of the forum. Or click the 'what's new' link at top left.

Ging
4th August 2011, 20:36
This might sound like a stupid question but what visual cue is there that a forum thread has unread messages in it from the last time you logged in?

The distinctly different graphic to the left of the thread title? That's a good give away.

VoiceOfDecember
21st September 2012, 09:13
Cool forum update, now I can't see the info about b5 you guys were freely posting before we got this traffic :(