PDA

View Full Version : Help: restarting steam message

water buddy
8th May 2011, 19:32
Okay, im posting this here, since there are no help sections other than technical support, but it wont allow me to post topics there so im just winging it here.

I downloaded the installer from ModDB, opened it, everything worked fine, I had no steam windows open, I had steam closed in the little bottom right hand corner thing, and I had HL2, Source SDK, and HL2DM installed and working. After downloading all the files from the installer, a pop up error message claims that I have steam open and it needs to be restarted, when I already have it closed. Then when I log back into steam, everything is the same as before.

does anyone know what im doing incorrectly here, and how I could fix this? :/

Ging
8th May 2011, 19:48
The installer just tells you that you should restart steam, not that you still have it open - it doesn't check that.

water buddy
9th May 2011, 00:19
The installer just tells you that you should restart steam, not that you still have it open - it doesn't check that.

but well then what am I supposed to do? at the first step with the agreement it asks to close steam, when do i bring it back up for a restart?

Ging
9th May 2011, 07:18
Once the installer has finished, steam doesn't dynamically check for new mods while it's running, only when it starts up.

If you've run the installer and restarted steam and the mod isn't in the list of game than run the installer again and check the output box to see if it's skipping files. If it is, try running the installer as administrator.

nyjetssanchez
9th May 2011, 18:42
But how do you restart the steam?:confused:

Ging
9th May 2011, 19:18
you quit it, then you start it again (you either do "file|quit" on the main steam window or you right click the icon in the system tray and select quit...

it might be exit, but you should get the idea.

water buddy
10th May 2011, 00:46
you quit it, then you start it again (you either do "file|quit" on the main steam window or you right click the icon in the system tray and select quit...

it might be exit, but you should get the idea.

Ive ran as administrator, and it still doesn't work, but i've noticed that it skips all the files, and it wont let me modify the check box for items. Do you know of any possible reason for this?

Ging
10th May 2011, 09:55
in that case, grab the server zip file and extract the hidden folder to your sourcemods directory (defaults to C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods) - then restart steam.

nyjetssanchez
10th May 2011, 12:05
What is the steam? IM stilll stuck!!!:confused::(

water buddy
10th May 2011, 15:36
What is the steam? IM stilll stuck!!!:confused::(

Steam? If you don't even know what it is, it'll be hard to play. Steam is a program that lets you play games through .Download steam from this site, http://store.steampowered.com/ After downloading you need to buy Half Life 2. This is required to play it hidden, for hidden source is a mod of it. Not only that, HL2 is an awesome game! anywho, it's like-- only 10 bucks, and you can download hundreds of other awesome mods for it too. After that you buy it, download it, then you can download the hidden source mod and run it with HL2. Hope this helps you :/

Gusdor
10th May 2011, 18:16
Everything you ever wanted to know about steam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam)

water buddy
11th May 2011, 01:22
in that case, grab the server zip file and extract the hidden folder to your sourcemods directory (defaults to C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods) - then restart steam.

OH, thanks, it worked. Thanks for all the help! :D