PDA

View Full Version : Automatic downloading of maps

madk
7th May 2011, 19:13
When I join a server running a map I don't have, the map file is downloaded automatically. I have a friend who just started playing Hidden, and he can barely play because he gets a map not found error instead of getting it downloaded.

How can he fix this?

Ging
7th May 2011, 19:25
the default config is set to not allow any downloads, to fix that he should type cl_downloadfilter nosounds or cl_downloadfilter none into the console (the first will stop the generally horrific sound pack downloads but allow maps through, the second will allow everything through).

Paegus
7th May 2011, 19:58
the default config is set to not allow any downloads, to fix that he should type cl_downloadfilter nosounds or cl_downloadfilter none into the console (the first will stop the generally horrific sound pack downloads but allow maps through, the second will allow everything through).

Yeah, as counter intuitive as it is, cl_downloadfilter none filters everything so you actually need to set it to cl_downloadfilter all which oddly enough filters nothing.

derp much valve?

Setting nosounds would work as well for map and any non-packaged textures but map sounds that aren't packaged in the map will be ignored so not always the best idea. Besides, who doesn't love Homer, Beavis and UT-Announcer-Guy?

Ging
7th May 2011, 22:04
Ah bollocks, I wasn't sure but didn't take the time to do a check - ah well.

Wuped
7th May 2011, 23:01
I've noticed there seems to be a couple servers that won't let you download maps regardless of your settings.

Ging
7th May 2011, 23:04
Yeah, there's a server variable that can stop downloads.

Paegus
8th May 2011, 11:23
yeah, also if they screw up their sv_downloadurl...

Ice1
8th May 2011, 15:45
Yeah, for this reason its a good idea for all server owners to get Paegus' CDFA plugin which forces clients to download your shit :D