PDA

View Full Version : Experienced players. How do you keep the game fresh?

WarToad
14th March 2011, 22:18
I find myself playing shit on purpose as Iris these days. I don't want to ruin peoples day and empty out the servers but if i play mercilessly i'd go 30-2 and empty the server.(without veterans) :(

Also i find rushing their spawn as hidden to be an incredible game breaking tactic. You know the type. The "pretty good guy" who without fail rushes the spawn of iris with nades and either dies or kills them within the first minute. I mean its ok to just tag a soldier or two and then escape but.. I'm looking at you Erlite. :)

It's a pretty cool moment when you spot a hidden hiding without cover and actually take the time to write "Hi there", shoot them once and then walk away like a boss. That always fucks them up ^^ I can't tell you how often i'd done that. Also standing on a cornercampers head and taking the time to write or spraypaint something next to them, just too see the confusion is just priceless. Getting old perhaps.

I like to get the whole iris team to 23 hp (everyone dark red), and then try to kill them as fast as possible with phys, thats a cool way to play.

I have a lot to learn, i notice when most oldschool players join, they immediately select either the launcher or machinegun and just bunnyhop around and are having fun. I do that until the point where i get competitive, maybe i should work on that so everyone on the server can have fun and have a chance to be the hidden.

Also, sonic alarm jump up to pipes in sewers kill the hidden there.

So, any cool tactics or playstyles you guys do to keep it fresh?

Oh, i'm wartoad, zevz, luffy, Be and probably some more. I change nicks a lot.

Wuped
14th March 2011, 22:45
I do alot of drugs.

Digit*
14th March 2011, 22:54
Variety is the key of a good game. I find if i repeat myself over and over doing one thing, be it physkilling/slashing/screwing around, i get bored just as fast as the IRIS. So i mix things up a little, one round physing, one round slashing around a bit (although i rarely ever kill someone with slashing i usually just die when i do that cus i screw around too much) or just play the psychological game. Slowly pick them off one by one, make them waste ammo. Or just go BERZERK and rush everyone.

However i choose to play though i do try to keep it fresh not only for myself but my opponent too although there are only so many ways to play the Hidden. :(

Specht
15th March 2011, 00:33
I loved going berserk and ending the round in 20 seconds.

Zabiela
15th March 2011, 09:02
I do alot of drugs.

This always works.

Other then that, make it harder for yourself. Handicap yourself on purpose.
Obvious examples:
-no nades
-no trislash
-USE TAUNTS (nobody does this anymore ffs)
-physkill

[TSAT]Flow
15th March 2011, 09:59
I noticed that I play considerably better after a night of excessive substance abuse, for whatever reason. So I guess this:

I do alot of drugs.

-SM-SUCKER
15th March 2011, 12:53
Tell one single IRIS how exactly you are going to kill him. I prefer to let them choose from some colours. Then I will fling barrels at him that only match this colour.
Or tell them that you will kill them last/first/at 3:00minutes into the round.
Do that and you will have loads of fun.
As long as you do not kill him immediatly, play with him.
Whatever happens (either you succeed or you die trying), the next round, people will stay close to this individual, giving you a greater audience and more people to mess with.
Just remember not to ruin anyones fun during the process.

P.S.: You need a reason as to why you choose him. Maybe he said or did something that might be considered slightly bad. Nothing serious.
"You chose my favorite IRIS character, you will die by an XBOX to the face."
"Your nickname reminds me of a teacher I once hated. Now I will teach you a lesson!"

WarToad
15th March 2011, 13:18
"You chose my favorite IRIS character, you will die by an XBOX to the face."
\

I like this idea :cool:, also
This always works.

Handicap yourself on purpose.

Don't we all do that anyway? I'm not gonna speak for everyone else but i don't even nade vent campers anymore. It's like an unwritten rule or something. Don't trislash, ps, or nade a single individual. I'm having a really bad day if i'm nading someone, thats gotta be revenge for a three nader in a duel.

lcpuche
15th March 2011, 14:50
This always works.

Other then that, make it harder for yourself. Handicap yourself on purpose.
Obvious examples:
-no nades
-no trislash
-USE TAUNTS (nobody does this anymore ffs)
-physkill

This pretty much,

Unless its a shotgunner, because Fuck shotgunners

[TSAT]Flow
15th March 2011, 14:56
Physkilling will earn you the hatred of the entire server nowadays.

Ging
15th March 2011, 17:31
I'm ok with non-insta gib phys killing... but when that's all a 617 does it gets boring quick, especially when it's just a phys object flung at you without any warning...

It's not scary, it's not interesting, it's just shit.

Digit*
15th March 2011, 18:17
There are exceptions to that Ging, but you are right in the larger scale of the matter. Nothing wrong with a little hit and run with a pallet to the face but when that's the only thing that happens it gets boring really soon, really fast.

Again for those who want to keep things interesting take some advice from The Dark Prince, im pretty able to maintain a level of fun but he's the only one that easely topples my game style. I know i never get bored playing with or against him anyway.

[TSAT]Flow
18th March 2011, 10:01
I remember digit and hannibal constantly physkilling me in my early days.
All it did was encourage me to get better at it myself, and honestly, if you don't have that mentality towards better players than you, you probably shouldn't play online games.

There's just something about watching your fellow squad mates transfrom from a spraying maniac to a bloodspewing barrel in an instant that brings a smile to my face. :D

Wuped
18th March 2011, 19:20
Flow;151574']I remember digit and hannibal constantly physkilling me in my early days.
All it did was encourage me to get better at it myself, and honestly, if you don't have that mentality towards better players than you, you probably shouldn't play online games.

There's just something about watching your fellow squad mates transfrom from a spraying maniac to a bloodspewing barrel in an instant that brings a smile to my face. :D

Ya that's why I'm still a fan of instagibbing someone at the very start of the match before anyone can get out of spawn. Seeing someone explode right infront of you from a barrel right away kind of sets a tone for the round.

Ging
19th March 2011, 00:13
Seeing someone explode right infront of you from a barrel right away kind of sets a tone for the round.

Yeah, it's going to be a shit heap of anti-fun.

Zabiela
19th March 2011, 09:20
Yeah, it's going to be a sh-SPLOTCH

What? You didnt finish your se-BLARG

Colonel Mustard
20th March 2011, 03:03
Yeah, it's going to be a shit heap of anti-fun.

i dread b5 like the crazies dread 2012. oh and for you, wartoad, go do something else, then come back and phys. Repeat cycle.

Ging
20th March 2011, 12:00
i dread b5 like the crazies dread 2012.

What's to dread?

Wuped
21st March 2011, 01:00
What's to dread?

He doesn't want the phys damage cap I'd imagine.

Colonel Mustard
21st March 2011, 05:47
He doesn't want the phys damage cap I'd imagine.

obviously :rolleyes:

Again for those who want to keep things interesting take some advice from The Dark Prince, im pretty able to maintain a level of fun but he's the only one that easely topples my game style. I know i never get bored playing with or against him anyway.

tking on random euro servers always mixes it up

Plude220
22nd March 2011, 03:13
Flow;151550']Physkilling will earn you the hatred of the entire server nowadays.

I have found lately if you slash someone one or 2 times then phys kill them people are less likely to whine about it and leave its the instakill that pisses people off not physing in general.

Ive been trying to keep the Iris into the game when im hidden rather than just instakill everyone I like to slash people 2 times and then phys them also Ive been using taunts alot it makes for a much funer experience for iris and keeps them into the game.
Also pining bodys people dont do this that much anymore its a good scare tactic for new players.

Ging
22nd March 2011, 15:09
I'm absolutely fine with dying to a well thrown barrel / pallet / crate, after I've been hit by the knife / pipe bomb / friendlies. It's when I see 617 leap over my head with a barrel and just flick it downwards, turning it into an instakill weapon of boredom that it irritates.

Gusdor
22nd March 2011, 17:08
I'm absolutely fine with dying to a well thrown barrel / pallet / crate, after I've been hit by the knife / pipe bomb / friendlies. It's when I see 617 leap over my head with a barrel and just flick it downwards, turning it into an instakill weapon of boredom that it irritates.
Isn't there a name for people who do that? Something about vampires...

-SM-SUCKER
22nd March 2011, 22:05
Are you in any way referring to my forum name? ;)

Ice1
29th March 2011, 15:12
hi guys, ages since iv logged in or played but just wanted to see whats up. Anyway a bit of shameless advertising but why not try the hidden handicap plugin i made, you can lower your damage dealt\lower your health\drug yourself etc. Can be fun playing as hardcore as you can while only dealing 10% damage to IRIS when you attack

TheOtherDante
30th March 2011, 13:55
I like my personal style of not playing for a year, and completely sucking balls and raging repeatedly.

madk
30th March 2011, 18:27
I feel your pain, I have done this at least twice since starting hidden XD

Genre
6th April 2011, 18:56
I like my personal style of not playing for a year, and completely sucking balls and raging repeatedly.
I'm following suit.

Playing less frequently has definitely kept the game fresh. I can't see the hidden very well at all anymore so IRIS gameplay is challenging again. I can't land an instagib every single time I throw something now either so I'm forced to play more strategically. I don't play by throwing things around willy-nilly anymore. I throw things with more purpose.

Colonel Mustard
7th April 2011, 03:54
Meh once b5 comes out im hanging up the blindfold for good. All the vets are pretty much gone as are all the good servers, raging nubs everywhere. Meh.

Zabiela
7th April 2011, 04:25
I can't land an instagib every single time I throw something now

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lffp50bv7O1qg7bz2o1_400.jpg

I played this for you

:)

<Beatlemania>
30th April 2011, 10:59
Still so many vets I recognize playing...
I need to download this again. Soon. Look for me!
It certainly does get boring playing newbies however.

Master of Puppets
1st May 2011, 10:45
I think im gonna install hidden again. But i will probably rage uninstall it few minutes later after getting my ass kicked :D

water buddy
16th May 2011, 13:29
I feel that as the hidden, i'm not there to kill them (though everyone else does the opposite), im there to SCARE them.
Unlike most other players, I honestly don't care about my kill/ death ratio. I feel the necessity to "toy" with them. Instead of rushing in and immediately killing them all, I prefer to jump in slash, maybe even taunt as im right next to them, then jump away. This leaves them pondering where I am, and if Im going to kill them. Since most hidden players would just kill them, and stain every wall nearby with their blood, they usually freak out, and spin around, searching for me, rapidly shooting in mid air. It is rather fun to watch them. I do prefer not to phys-kill, for it is rather slow and not horrifying. What I do, as a perfect example on hdn_stalkyard, in the box room, I would hide in one of the hallways using my aura vision thing, or whatever its called, waiting for them to approach near, and just throw the boxes out, right in front, or behind them. This usually gives a... Horror, feel to the game.
I like to say this is more of a horror game than a Action game, and unlike the other COD infested ripoff-seas of gaming, you actually have to pace yourself without popping someones face straight back to the back of their head with a .50 cal, or whatever. It sure is harder, but it's much more fun for everyone.

Darkhand
18th May 2011, 00:09
I feel that as the hidden, i'm not there to kill them (though everyone else does the opposite), im there to SCARE them.
Unlike most other players, I honestly don't care about my kill/ death ratio. I feel the necessity to "toy" with them. Instead of rushing in and immediately killing them all, I prefer to jump in slash, maybe even taunt as im right next to them, then jump away. This leaves them pondering where I am, and if Im going to kill them. Since most hidden players would just kill them, and stain every wall nearby with their blood, they usually freak out, and spin around, searching for me, rapidly shooting in mid air. It is rather fun to watch them. I do prefer not to phys-kill, for it is rather slow and not horrifying. What I do, as a perfect example on hdn_stalkyard, in the box room, I would hide in one of the hallways using my aura vision thing, or whatever its called, waiting for them to approach near, and just throw the boxes out, right in front, or behind them. This usually gives a... Horror, feel to the game.
I like to say this is more of a horror game than a Action game, and unlike the other COD infested ripoff-seas of gaming, you actually have to pace yourself without popping someones face straight back to the back of their head with a .50 cal, or whatever. It sure is harder, but it's much more fun for everyone.

^-- I like this guy. :D

lcpuche
25th May 2011, 13:40
^-- I like this guy. :D

He's got the right idea.
Going all murder and not messing around empties the server.

esrever321
27th May 2011, 11:59
I made my own Tutorial for this a few weeks ago cause too many of my friends would play it once and give up because they were hidden for the first time and got killed before getting to hit anyone, I say in the video that the most fun thing to do in that game is try use the environment to mess with the IRIS's heads :D, like in the map with the box room, where you can break the supporting poles with a pig stick then rush and slice one person then run off.
Or see if you can get the whole team to run completely out of ammo!

Warden
4th June 2011, 01:13
I flat out suck at FPS
Still fun though

TheChrist
7th June 2011, 09:13
Gosh, I might even reinstall soon.

Boltzmann
13th June 2011, 17:14
Hmmmm, I think the best way to keep a server of newbies entertained is to taunt alot with voice commands like "I See You" and talking with them over the mic explaining the stuff you're about to do like "Do you have an xbox? I cant seem to make this xbox work" and then shove it on their face, like 50 damage throw, so that they just panic. This guy yesterday was like "throwing it at me wont make it work properly!!!" :P

Basically, as hidden, try to make physkilling fun to everyone and talk on the mic alot, cause most people will see your quietness as sign of hacks or at least as sign of being serious/competitive, so just talk alot and laugh at your own kills like "AHAHAH you went flying", ie, act surprised, even you will enjoy the game more if you laugh at your kills, cause then everyone will laugh too and you'll have people saying "OMG help me! there's an xbox chasing me!" instead of "omg you shouldnt play so much hidden, get a life". (even tho you dont play that often)

As IRIS my best advice is to use pistol and/or less lethal launcher and maybe say "hi there hidden, you're not invisible" before you shoot them, or stuff like "I'm hearing your footsteps" so that they understand BEFORE you kill them. if you just kill them and they acuse you of hacking, anything you say after that will be seen as excuses.