PDA

View Full Version : Coder

Boltzmann
22nd February 2010, 15:23
Hello there, I've been playing since when there was only a shotgun and the smg, god knows how long that is, but what matters is I'm here to ask the devs a question: Are you in need of any coders? If so, what kind of language is required? I'd like to start doing some game dev and I think the best way to start is by joining a mod team. I'm finishing my Computer Science degree in college and would like to gain some experience or at least gather some good tips on how to start :)

-SM-SUCKER
23rd February 2010, 10:39
As far as I know the language is C++. There should be some tutorials in the net you'd be advised to read first.
But I don't think you will be joining the team, beacuse Ging has not enough time to get on with this mod, so my bets are that he has even less time to teach you the basics of modding and showing you their work. And others have asked to help before as well.
But if you still think you can contribute to the mod, Ging is the one to ask.

Ging
23rd February 2010, 16:53
It is indeed C++, but the code base is not for the feint of heart as the SDK clocks in at around a million lines, not including comments (at least, that's what I remember it being when I checked it for some students a couple of years ago).

Right now, I'm porting existing code across to the latest engine (Orange Box) and that's a bit of a one man band job except when previous coders we've had on board lend a hand - they understand the existing code well enough to know where it goes and generally how to fix it.

Boltzmann
23rd February 2010, 22:19
Nice to know it's C++, I usually code in C and Java, so I find C++ easier. Too bad you guys don't need anyone, I'm really looking forward to start doing some work and get some more game dev related experience rather than other types of software. Do you know any other team needing a coder?

Ice1
23rd February 2010, 23:11
I have a mate who was thinking of starting a mod out and needed a coder, at first i was gonna do it but after looking at the sdk code I was a bit overwhelmed by it, especially when im a student anyway. I'll let him know and if he's interested i will get him to post here.

Boltzmann
23rd February 2010, 23:24
I have a mate who was thinking of starting a mod out and needed a coder, at first i was gonna do it but after looking at the sdk code I was a bit overwhelmed by it, especially when im a student anyway. I'll let him know and if he's interested i will get him to post here.

Thank you! I'm looking forward for that!

Ice1
26th February 2010, 12:04
sorry dude i spoke with him and it looks like he is looking for someone who can demonstrate his skills...

Boltzmann
27th February 2010, 18:14
So how could I start?

Ice1
1st March 2010, 05:17
A good way to start is to use the make mod button on the sdk and start coding in different entities for your own practice. Try changing the behaviour of an NPC or something. Then after you have done a few things make up a portfolio. Theres plenty of tutorials on this stuff.

Boltzmann
1st March 2010, 22:08
A good way to start is to use the make mod button on the sdk and start coding in different entities for your own practice. Try changing the behaviour of an NPC or something. Then after you have done a few things make up a portfolio. Theres plenty of tutorials on this stuff.

Hey, thanks for being helping. I've read about that button, but couldn't find it once opening SDK Base :S

Ging
4th March 2010, 18:25
You don't want to open SDK Base, you just want to open the Source SDK (it should be under the tools section of steam).

Follow this (http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Create_a_Mod) as much as possible to get yourself started.

HiddenAlex
30th March 2010, 19:31
It is indeed C++, but the code base is not for the feint of heart as the SDK clocks in at around a million lines, not including comments (at least, that's what I remember it being when I checked it for some students a couple of years ago).

Right now, I'm porting existing code across to the latest engine (Orange Box) and that's a bit of a one man band job except when previous coders we've had on board lend a hand - they understand the existing code well enough to know where it goes and generally how to fix it.

Hey ging been playing the mod for a while now and If you ever need a concept designer contact me, okay I will tell you my age, no flaming but im 12 and I can think of pretty damn good concepts

Paegus
31st March 2010, 15:28
just like every other 12 year old

[TSAT]Flow
31st March 2010, 15:34
Hey ging been playing the mod for a while now and If you ever need a concept designer contact me, okay I will tell you my age, no flaming but im 12 and I can think of pretty damn good concepts

"I am 12 and what is this?"

Ging
31st March 2010, 22:54

Erm, a concept designer?

As in, an ideas man?

No dude, just, no.

Digit*
1st April 2010, 16:28
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH A*gasp...weeze...gasp*.......AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh for the love of all that is, this made my day. I salute you Captain 12 Years Old!

Darkhand
5th April 2010, 15:48
You've gotta admit the kid's got bal...

Wait, actually no.

You've gotta admit the kid's got guts.